5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalist Morality Play
Published on August 22, 2012 by Miss Barbara

2.0 out of 5 stars Ball hit in the gap but he fell down rounding first
Published on August 21, 2012 by B. brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalist Morality Play, August 22, 2012
Stephen King has the ability of use the written word to paint a mind scene that will pull you to a place where you can see and smell and feel. You don't read his books so much as live in them. Stewart O'Nan is the master of the tight, understated Seinfeldian structure that can get you very interested in, well, almost nothing. Put these two together and magic happens.

Ok, this is a novella; It's short, succinct and to the point. It's about a man who leaves New England and his beloved Red Sox and moves to Florida, the land of the Devil Rays. The actual story takes place in just a couple of days but embraces the entire lifetime of Dean Evers as he watches baseball on TV and is haunted by Faces in the Crowd, faces of those he has wounded or who have injured him.

Young Dr. Young, his childhood dentist; Lennie Wheeler his business partner, Soupy Embree the kid he taunted in school, his departed wife who may have known more of his shenanigans than she let on. All of these faces stare at him from his television while he watches the ball game and eats his lonely meals. Do they offer some answers as to why he is now alone? That's for the reader to find out in this minimalist morality play that takes place while watching a baseball game on TV. Only in America. I liked this story, I liked it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Ghostly Ball Game, August 22, 2012
For all the bad reviews, I really enjoyed this (very short) novella. While it only took up half the space it claimed, it was still a nice ghostly story.

What was causing ghosts to appear on Dean Evers new HDTV as watched his baseball games while relaxing in his new home in Florida? Doctors, old partners and even his wife were showing up in the best seat in the house.

Some people find this novella to be slow moving, but baseball is slow moving to some compared to football. I liked it. I liked the ending. It was definitely a creepy Stephen King ending.

Maybe it was a little pricy for such a short story, but do King fans really care? I don't.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ball hit in the gap but he fell down rounding first, August 21, 2012
B. brown "moemoe" (GEORGETOWN, KY, United States) - See all my reviews
As you see in my title, this short story started out great(hit in the gap) but ended lousy(fell down rounding the bases). I said after the last King short story I was done, but my love for baseball mixed in with some of King's scareiness, I thought I couldnt go wrong. The story starts out great but just kind of stops with no sort of ending. I thought my kindle had messed up and not downloaded all of the story. Just dont understand the point of these stories that have no conclusion. For the record, I'm all for drawing my own conclusions with a story but King doesnt even give you enough to for a conclusion. With that said, for $1.99 its hard to say I wasted my money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average short story, September 6, 2012
S. Turlington (Hillsborough, NC USA) - See all my reviews
A very short, short story for the Kindle about baseball and death. Well-written, but I feel like I've read it before. I detect King's style all over it, but can't find O'nan, except maybe for the baseball references.

Also, the story is only 50% of the content and the rest is a "preview" of Stephen King and Peter Straub's Black House -- kind of a weird thing to preview, as it was published in 2001.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it., September 16, 2012
Too short and not worth reading. The story only takes about half of the space that was sent to my kindle. The rest is taken up with a sample of another King collaboration. I felt cheated and a bit angry. King is normally a much more engaging writer. The story felt like a reject from an old Twilight Zone show. Don't waste your time or money.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed and baffled, September 12, 2012
This seemed a teaser, good writing for the beginning of a novel, with no real ending. Did I get the product I ordered or simply a part of it? This isn't Stephen King calibre!

3.0 out of 5 stars much shorter than it should have been., August 26, 2012
I very much enjoyed the story but when I finished I was left wanting more. The story itself is not a full 62 pages an I felt more than a little ripped off when it just abruptly ends. Especially since the next 30 pages of what I purchased are samples of books I read more than ten years ago. At least give me a sample of something new. I think that if the story seemed like it wrapped up well I wouldn't have been so bothered by the samples. Great story it just needed a better ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is just half the book, September 19, 2012
The story is very weak and short. Its only half the book. The last half is a preview of another book. Although it is a cheap book, I felt cheated by the authors.

3.0 out of 5 stars My view, August 25, 2012
Okay not the very best of but it satisfied my Stephen King fix for a minute. I was getting tired of re-reading all his books. Just a very short story with the SK twist at the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars EEEEHH, not even "ok", January 13, 2013
As a Constant Reader, I was disappointed in this short story. It was kind of like bad sex...too messy and over in an instant.

A Face in the Crowd
A Face in the Crowd by Stephen King (Audio CD - August 21, 2012)
$9.99 $8.24