5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift, September 15, 2009
This review is from: A Gift (Hardcover)
Yong Chen has created a beautiful simple story that gives wonderful insight into the Chinese culture. He is a master illustrator that captures the quiet moments spectacularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family far away but close to your heart, February 25, 2010
This review is from: A Gift (Hardcover)
Chinese New Year makes Amy's mother homesick for her brothers and sisters who live back in China. Although Amy has never meet her uncles and aunts but knows a lot of about them from her mother's stories, letters and packages from her family from a far.

Today a package arrives from China. It's a jade carved dragon pendant on a red cord thread. It was made with love from her uncles and aunts. Uncle Zhong was working in his field with is ox when he found a piece of jade. He brought the jade town and to his brother Ming who looked for a dragon hidden inside and found it... carving and polishing it into the dragon pendant and then her aunt made a red corded necklace to hang the jade.

The last page is the author's page and it explains how the Chinese New Year is important to the Chinese culture. It talks about how Jade presents a piece of home. Also how the symbol of the dragon was once only for the emperor of China but now has become the symbol of China itself and how the Chinese call themselves the descendants of the dragon. Also explained is how the color red is the color of luck and using a red thread for the necklace is to show love and a good luck wish for the wearer.

If you are looking for a book on Chinese New Year and it's tradition, this is not that kind of book. This book is more about family. I do love the illustrations, they look like watercolored drawings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story and illustrations, January 11, 2012
This review is from: A Gift (Hardcover)
I checked this book out from our local library. The title didn't attract me at all. But, when I looked at the illustrations, I decided to check it out. The first time I read it to my 5 year old son, I immediately fell in love with the story. It is a story about families visiting each other as a tradition for Chinese New Year. However, when Amy's uncles and aunt could not visit from China, they sent her a gift. What made this gift special is because while plowing in the field, the uncle found a beautiful stone. Amy's other uncle then worked many days and carved a dragon from that. It is a great story filled with love, family, value and culture. I am so glad I picked this book up. I can't wait to share this story with my nieces and nephews. I know not only will they appreciate the story but the watercolor paintings are amazing. I want to see more of this author's books.

A Gift
A Gift by Yong Chen (Hardcover - September 1, 2009)
$16.95 $14.59