5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific autobiography!, June 27, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Hardcover)
Like the other reviewers here, I was addicted to the books of Beverly Cleary when I was child. Mrs. Cleary's books provided me endless hours of enjoyment, and I still remember laughing out loud at the adventures and misadventures of her characters. Eventually, I grew up and Mrs. Cleary's books became just fond remembrances of my childhood.
Remembrances are what they remained until I re-read "Otis Spofford" a couple weeks ago. Despite my age, I still found myself laughing out loud while I read it. It was that experience that led me to read "A Girl from Yamhill." I wanted to find out more about the woman whose mere name on a book ensured to me as a child a wonderful reading experience.
What a terrific autobiography! I read it in one day. I loved the simple, but honest writing style that can also be found in her fictional books. I also recognized many of the experiences of her girlhood that eventually ended up among the adventures of her fictional characters: tin cans and twine, misinterpreting the words to national anthem, the boys chewing garlic, and the green paint for Christmas. However, what struck me as the best part of "A Girl from Yamhill" was how ordinary Beverly Bunn was as a girl. She wasn't poor or rich. She got good grades; but occassionally they slipped. She wasn't in the popular cliques; but she wasn't an outcast. She never got into any major trouble; but she wasn't a saint. Yes, her mother was emotionally detached and controlling; but she wasn't abusive or meanspirited. Teenaged Beverly spends alot of time worrying about her clothes and boys just like any other teenage girl. I was amazed how much I enjoyed reading about the life of an average, ordinary girl. Of course, that girl did have one major talent- she could write, and that talent is what makes "A Girl from Yamhill" such a joy- Beverly Cleary is a fantastic writer. She brings everything so vividly to life, and provides the reader not only insight into her own character, but also gives a glimpse of what life was really like in the Oregon of the 1920's and 30's. A great, great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Reason to Love Beverly Cleary, December 4, 2001
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Paperback)
If you were in love with Ramona Quimby, Henry Huggins or Runaway Ralph as a child, you will love this memoir of their creator. Beverly Cleary takes us back to her childhood and shares with us her memories of growing up in Oregon and what her family life was like. One can't help but notice, there are so many similarities between Ramona and a young Beverly Cleary! As always, Cleary paints a perfect picture of life as a young girl and what it was like coming of age. Her words are full of honesty, insightfullness & humor. My only other recommendation is to make sure you buy On My Own Two Feet, which takes you through her adult years. When A Girl from Yamhill is over, you will be hungry for more! Beverly Cleary is a timeless delight to read for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn the story behind her stories........., September 13, 2001
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Paperback)
I loved this book as much as I enjoyed the Ramona Quimby books that I grew up reading. I really enjoyed realizing that Emily's Runaway Imagination was based on Cleary's own life. It was interesting to see her early life on a farm and then the changes that came from her family's move to suburbia.
Cleary explains her early writing experiences explaining that she wanted to read books as a child that were realistic. Her school and family experiences gave great insight.
This is also a great history of being a child in the depression era.
This is a great book for anyone who curled up with a copy of Henry Huggins or Ellen Tebbitts!

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE! Loved her fiction, loved her autobiography MORE!, November 17, 1999
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Paperback)
I grew up in the 1970's reading Beverly Cleary cover to cover and voraciously! I LIVED to get another Beverly Cleary book. I am now an 8th grade Reading teacher, and kids still love her books to pieces (sometimes literally). A student of mine who is researching Cleary for her author research project showed me this book. I read it in its entirety in 24 hours. I literally could not put it down. I recognized many episodes in her life that showed up in her books. I was surprised to find out she was an only child. For some reason, I always thought she had an older sister like Beezus! Beverly Cleary is the greatest!

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want it to end, March 22, 2006
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Paperback)
I ordered Beverly Cleary's two autobiographies on Amazon, and recieved them last week. The first of the two is called, "A Girl From Yamhill" and the second is, "My Own Two Feet". Both are excellently written. The first is of her childhood until she goes off to college and the second is her college days and a few years beyond. She has a style of writing that makes you feel as though you have known her your whole life and are the dearest of friends. What amazed me the most about these books is how timeless they are. Even though she grew up during the depression and went to college before the advent of computers and the technology boom, it was eye opening to see that the human condition and experiences don't really change all that much. She is an excellent storyteller, and the words on the page lept into my mind's eye and I could see it unfold before as if I were watching it on a movie screen. I was sad to see the first book end, but glad that I had ordered the second book as well. Then when I finished the second book I found myself wishing that she had written another book to tell more of her life's stories. I finished reading them both within a couple of days and found myself doing something I have never done before. I immediately began to read them again ( I am currently half way through the first book). If you grew up loving her children's books as I did, then these are a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word: Charming, April 21, 2005
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Paperback)
As an avid reader of contemporary fiction, it was a pleasant and surprising change of pace to read this autobiography of Beverly Cleary's early years. Her life on the Yamhill is depicted with such immediacy and heartfelt affection that it made me wish I had brought my children up on a farm. It seems that the farm years (only until 1st grade) set her up for life. The rest of Beverly's life in Portland was marked by arguments with her strict and difficult mother, the poverty of the depression, and her father's sadness at being away from the farm he loved. Somehow Beverly always retains her sense of self and makes her life sound downright enviable. The tales of her struggles with school, her mother, money, and an over-ardent boyfriend are told with humor and equanimity. The reader can't help but love Beverly. She makes you yearn for a simpler time. I know that she turned 89 last week. I hope she is well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Interesting Autobiography, April 5, 1999
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Paperback)
Having read many of Beverly Cleary's books when I was a kid, I was rather surprised that her childhood was actually a sad, unhappy time for her, with an unloving mother. She recounts her childhood with amazing detail. I felt so sorry for Beverly for having such a cruel, unloving mother. It's amazing that she grew up to be so successful even though she had very little encouragement at home. Even though this was a very sad book, it was very well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars a memoir by Beverly Clearly, November 21, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Paperback)
_A Girl From Yamhill_ by Beverly Clearly is a memoir. She writes about her memories of Beverly's early life to where she escapes her home to go to junior college in California.

Beverly tells us when her first baby tooth came out, when she recieved her first love letter from a boy she liked for 3 years. Beverly also tells us about her first date Gerhart she despised.

It is a great book that everyone will love.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sequel to "Emily's Runaway Imagination", April 12, 1997
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Paperback)
The real story of "Emily's Runaway Imagination". Mrs. Cleary brings us the adult and totally real life version of one of my old childhood favorites. Her life begins in the same setting, the small logging and farming town of Yamhill, Oregon (having grown up there not much had changed until the 1970's) and this time takes us along with her as she moves to Portland and grows up. Anybody who enjoyed her books as children must get a copy and read it. The enjoyment of their childhood will be re-lived

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Cleary fans!, November 6, 1998
Wombat (IL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Girl from Yamhill (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this delightful autobiography! Fans of Cleary will enjoy discovering the inspirations behind many of her stories, such as tin can stilts, changing color with green paint to get out of being in a Christmas play, and playing Brick Factory. Her style is easy to read and yet is filled with wonderful memories and detail. If you like Cleary, you won't be disappointed with A Girl From Yamhill!

A Girl from Yamhill
A Girl from Yamhill by Beverly Cleary (Paperback - October 1, 1996)
$12.99 $11.10