Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon September 29, 2005
Judith Henry Wall is one of my favorite authors, but this book just didn't stand out as much as some her earlier works have, such as Handsome Women, My Mothers Daughter, and even Blood Sisters. Now don't get me wrong, this really was a good read, but I felt it was a three star read until the ending.

Rhonda, Holly, and Gina Kay have been friends since they were little. They plan on having big careers and leaving their little Texas town behind. They all go to the same college together, but that's where the friendship between the three falls apart.

Rhonda's been dating her high school love Terry for five years when she leaves for college. Not wanting to give him up but not wanting to get married either, she sort of strings him along for awhile. Well, out of the blue, Gina Kay leaves school for good and marries Terry all on the same day. Rhonda doesn't speak to her for over two decades, and Holly's stuck in the middle. The three get together 25 years later, shortly after Terry's accidental death, and Gina Kay promises to tell the two women why she married him.

For about 3/4 of the book I really couldn't stand Rhonda. We've all had that high school love-of-our-lives, but you grow up, get married, and move on. I found it really irritating that Rhonda just couldn't let it go. For being a big-shot lawyer, she was acting incredibly petty and immature. I understand why she was so hurt, but it's been 25 years...get over it. But in the end, she took the high road, which for the most part changed my opinion of her, and Gina Kay's story about how her life with Terry came to be was satisfying. While I recommend it, it's not her best stuff.
on December 9, 2007
This title is misleading. It wasn't really about the good man at all, but mainly about his wife who was obsessed over her first love that ended badly and holding grudge against her best friend for stealing him away from her. It is a story of three girlfriends who go their separate ways and eventually restore their relationship after 25 years. Parts moved slowly, however, I plowed through it because I wanted to see if Rhonda would forgive Gina Kay and why Gina Kay married Rhonda's boyfriend.

It was a bit weird because I didn't really like Rhonda, the main character, but yet that was the one I most closely identified with. Not that I'm like her but just more like her than I was to the other two. I found Gina Kay to be the most interesting of the characters and found myself pulling for her to be able to restore the broken friendship.

If you like reading about girly relationships, friendship then I would recommend this book. It did cover the intracacies of a 3-way friendship and was interesting. I liked Family Secrets and The Surrogate by this author much better though.

Karen Arlettaz Zemek, Author of "My Funny Dad, Harry"
on April 27, 2005
In Lamberton, Texas Rhonda, Holly and Gina Kay were best buddies attending high school together. Rhonda had one foible: her obsessive love for her boyfriend Terry Robertson, an heir with a suicidal attitude. Her parents forced Rhonda to leave Terry to attend college; eventually she became a lawyer. In high school Holly fantasized of becoming a famous fashion designer, but instead runs a successful wedding-gown business. Gina Kay was impoverished with an ambulatory mother until she won the Miss American Teenager beauty contest that included a college scholarship. The friendship between the three buds ended when Terry eloped with Gina Kay.

The threesome is together for the first time in two decades at Terry's ranch now owned by his widow Gina Kay following his funeral. After numerous attempts to kill himself and passengers by vehicular suicide, Terry lived up to the mantra of if at first you don't succeed try again. With the object of their schism interred Rhonda, Holly and Gina Kay head to Manhattan to exorcise his ghost find reconciliation, and start new adventures with Russian immigrants in Brighton Beach.

This profound character study looks deep inside the three amigas and through them at the late Terry. The story line hooks the audience who want to know more about Terry and his relationships with the trio. Though the streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn enable further glimpses at the lead protagonists, that sidebar takes away from the critical essence of how a male can break up the strongest sisterhood bond (explained via well designed flashbacks). Judith Henry Wall paints a powerful family drama although the childhood friends are not related by blood, they act like siblings.

Harriet Klausner
on August 11, 2008
This book was a good read. The first book I read written from Judith Henry Wall was "The Surrogate" which I thought was top of the line. This book was entertaining but not as good as The Surrogate. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of Judith Henry Wall books.
on January 18, 2007
Please do not waste your time reading this book. The story line and characters are cliched and very poorly developed. Not even good enough for casual reading.