Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on November 20, 2012
I read a lot of mysteries and love it when I find one that centers around dogs. I was especially excited to find A Howl in the Night because it's set in my hometown! What could be better? But this book was a huge disappointment to me because I found it to be violent and cruel. There are instances of dog fighting (and killing), and of coyotes stealing and killing small dogs. I'm sure that some people will be OK with that, saying that it's what really happens and it makes the story more realistic. For me, I'll take the Chet and Bernie or Raine Stockton series any day. Both are dog-centered mysteries without the sad, violent episodes. I cannot recommend this book.
44 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2012
I read it at night after my owner went to sleep (good thing she has the kindle book cover with the little light). I just have to say that it's about time we were recognized for our superior detective abilities. I loved this book and I hope there's a next one.
on March 8, 2012
This is an enjoyable mystery with quite a different narrator, a Black Lab named (for most of the book) Taser. He and his buddy Meatloaf are observant and well fleshed-out as characters. So are the other canine characters. The human characters are less so -- which makes sense because they are mostly peripheral to the action.

There are grammatical inconsistencies which bothered me. Taser sometimes uses better grammar than other times and spelling can sometimes be off. (Robert "peaked" into the oven when "peeked" is correct, for example.) Occasionally the tense shifts from past to present. The biggest problem is that the author uses comma splices on every page, he writes two sentences which should be separated and combines them into one with a comma. (I just did that with my comma splice comment, deliberately, to illustrate a comma splice.)

Because of the technical problems, I can't give this 5 stars. It's a delightful book with some dark moments (moments when our dogs lose their owners and friends through no fault of their own). It will make you think about the lives of dogs in ways you might not have before.
on March 2, 2012
This book is delightful fun for anyone who loves dogs and likes a crackling good murder mystery! The characterizations are right on: endearing without being smarmy-sweet. Not for children, but don't let this deter you... you'll be amazed how caught up you'll get in this dog story!

I am panting for a sequel. (Are you listening, Jerry Brandon?)
on March 13, 2013
This book started with a lot of potential. I enjoyed the two Labrador characters and their canine pals. However there was one part in this book where the author's apparent hatred for Pitbull type dogs shines through. I was disgusted. He does not call the breed by name but from the description given, you would have to be an idiot to not see what breed he meant. I couldn't get over that part so the book was no longer enjoyable to me. Shame on the author for adding fuel to the fire. I recommended these books to my family and now regret it. The author continued his anti pitbull type dogs in his other novels. Really. He should have some imagination and come up with another breed to villify in his novels. Sad because the two Lab characters are a lot of fun. (I have Labs and two Pitbulls and to pick on one specific breed is in my opinion a deal breaker when it comes to reading a book). The books are easy to read and the story keeps your interest, despite some far out events. After all the book is from the V.O.P. of the dog so reality must be left at the door.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon March 24, 2012
I enjoyed A Howl in the Night so much that the pleasure of reading it offset the few typos and grammatical issues. This was a cozy mystery told from a canine's point of view and it is filled with humor and insight. The clever use of similes kept me smiling. In describing a Welsh Corgi, our hero, Taser, states "That poor thing's got legs shorter than a Rottweiler's leash in a crowd of old ladies."

I have only been a dog person for the last seven years and before that, as a cat person unfamiliar with the quirks of canines, I don't know if I would have appreciated this book as much. For the dog lover, however, this book is a treat and I really hope to see more of Taser in another book.
on July 12, 2016
I really enjoyed this book. I have read others written from a dog viewpoint, but this one gets it right. There is mystery, danger, humor, tragedy, plot twists and an interesting cast of characters - everything you want in a good book. Of course the main characters are dogs, and the author has a gift for showing things from a canine point of view. Each dog has its own personality and set of talents, all interesting and believable. In this first episode, the overachieving black lab Taser is introduced as the alpha dog of the local pack. His owner's roommate wants to sell the house and leave after the murder of a neighbor. Taser is afraid of being sent back to the pound, as that is what happened when his previous human had to move. The dogs, led by Taser and his buddy Meatloaf, use their canine senses and pack cooperation to overcome their limitations to help each other and solve the crime.
on July 22, 2016
My brother, who is an avid reader, told me about the Taser and Meatloaf books by JK Brandon. I was doubtful at first but have enjoyed every moment that I have read them. The nice thing is there are 9 books in this series right now and I have read 4 books so far and I am looking forward to each new book. The stories of 2 dogs and their life happenings is so refreshing. Their detective skills along with the interaction with the rest of the "pack" in the neighborhood is amusing. They have their own language and share with each other things they have learned from TV or their Masters. Sometimes it makes me laugh and sometimes the stories makes me feel sad. I nice little roller coaster of reading pleasure. Light reading which is something I need from time to time. Thanks JK Brandon for sharing these stories. Very delightful.
on May 14, 2014
I love stories from the dog's point of view. I wish the author had said more about how "pits" are sweet dogs unless they have stupid owners! I liked all the dog characters but wish the coyote hadn't killed Buffy... I would definitely tell my friends about this book. Can't wait to read the next in the series!
on March 8, 2012
I'm not quite finished this book but it is a fantastic story. It puts me in mind of "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon the way the author puts us into the world and thoughts of the canine characters. Another great book I can't believe was free!