Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 23, 2012
Jaicyn had a crackhead mother who was never home. She had to raise her sisters and take care of the bills....even if that meant stealing clothes and selling them. Whatever she had to do to pay the rent and keep the lights on was what she did. She started getting to like Rayshawn, but he got into the drug game. Some problems came up, and she suffered the consequences. She actually came out a better person though.

I almost started crying when I was reading about how Jaicyn had to take care of the kids and the bills. Her mother didn't even seem to care what happened. Jaicyn could have easily just let things go and they would be out on the street. She really did her best. She didn't even want to accept help from Rayshawn.

I was very surprised at what job Jaicyn ended up with. The end really has me wondering what is next. I can't wait to read the next book. This was a highly entertaining and quick read. It flowed very well and kept my attention. I highly recommend this book!

Cheryl
Black Diamond's Book Reviews
on January 23, 2012
A HUSTLER'S PROMISE: SOME PROMISES WON'T BE BROKEN was SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD, and I LOVED IT. A REAL PAGE-TURNER, NEVER A DULL MOMENT. JAICYN was a TEENAGER who FELL in LOVE with an UP AND COMING DRUG DEALER name RAYSHAWN. JAICYN OVERCAME MANY OBSTACLES in her YOUNG LIFE, with the HELP of her MAN, and on her OWN. RAYSHAWN and JAICYN were TRULY in LOVE. CAN'T WAIT FOR pt.2, DEFINITELY LOOKING FORWARD TO READING. JACKIE CHANEL DID HER THING. MY FIRST READ BY THIS AUTHOR, BUT WON'T BE MY LAST. I TRULY ENJOYED THIS MUST READ..........
22 comments13 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2012
This book caught my eyes with the cover. I didn't even read the sample I just purchased it. It grabbed my attention from the first page to the very last page. When I started i couldn't put it down until i was finished. I had never heard of this author Jackie Chanel but she really did her thing with this book. Looking forward to part 2!
on August 16, 2012
I have been attempting to read this book why would she named the girl Jason JAI CYN because the name I can't concentrate on the story because the name keeps throwing me off, please miss Chanel please keep it simple, to me it's keeps me thinking why Jason where I can't concentrate on story!!!!! Why is it that when an author makes a woman strong she can't relate to her man don't get it sorry...,
on February 6, 2012
This was such a good read. Jaicyn, at the age of 16, had to do it all. Why? Jaicyn, had a mother that was a crackhead; the mother would leave home and stay gone for several months. The mother's long absence left Jaicyn to take care of her two sisters, pay the bills and keep food on the table. Rayshawn and Dayshawn are twin brothers. Dayshawn was about getting that education whereas Rayshawn was into the street life. Jaicyn and Rayshawn hook-up and that's where the fun begins. There were a lot of surprises in the story which I did not see coming. Again, I enjoyed the book and I am waiting on Part II. This is a Gangster and Love story all in one!
on February 7, 2012
1st time reading this author, but will be reading more of her books. Bought this book because funds were low, boy, am I glad I did. Jaicyn was bad, from beginning to end. She stepped up when her momma stepped out and took care of her little sisters. Love the way she and Rayshawn are down for each other, ride and die til the end. Can't wait for part 2. Even after reading the reviews, didn't know if I would like this book, but I loved it, couldn't stop reading. Since buying my Kindle, I have read more urban fiction than I ever did before, and this book is by far the best yet.
on February 24, 2012
This book was wonderful! I am pissed that i have to wait for part 2...get it together Ms. Jackie Chanel because i fell in love with Rayshawn and Jaicyn's characters. I have read Wahida Clark, K'WAN, Nikki Turner and so on. I absolutely loved this book and i am purchasing every book that Jackie Chanel is connected to... Do not keep the readers waiting for too long, please.
on May 24, 2012
I really liked this book me and my fiance read it, I read it in 2 days it was so good, I gave it 4 stars bc it was missing words and I hate reading books and words are missing out of the sentence, I rather read something misspelled. Other then that we plan on reading part two, the couple reminded us of our own relationship.
VINE VOICEon November 1, 2012
Beginning this book, I didn't know what to expect, but I found out I was in for a long ride.

Jaicyn had a lot on her plate for a high-schooler. With a mother strung out on drugs, she had to play the mother role for her two younger sisters. Not knowing where her next meal was coming from, and needing clothes and basic necessities to survive, she has to do what she has to do to take care of her younger siblings, even if that includes dropping out of school. With CPS at her front door, Jaicyn will do anything to protect her sister, but with the roll of the dice against her, she ends up taking a charge that isn't hers. Will Jaicyn be able to gain custody of her sisters, or will they be forever lost?

Rayshawn was an upcoming hustler from around the way. Rayshawn had a leadership quality about him, and he was being groomed by one of the biggest dealers in the city named King. Rayshawn and his twin brother Dayshawn were totally different, but they had one thing in common: they hated the situation they were in. Their mother was tragically killed by their father and their whole life was uprooted when they had to move in with their grandparents. Rayshawn meets Jaicyn and they begin a whirlwind romance, but things take a change for the worse when Jaicyn takes a charge for Rayshawn and is sent away. Upon Jaicyn's return, Rayshawn is on a whole new level and things are not the same. Will Rayshawn and Jaicyn be able to weather the storm, or will their relationship just be a thing of the past?

The author Jackie Chanel presented a great storyline that was highly entertaining and a quick read. It flowed very well and kept my attention. I can't wait to read Hustler's Promise 2 to find out where all the characters end up.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2012
This book was basically a breath of fresh air from what i usually read. One, the books i usually reads is about women who are on the grind, but yet they do whatever it takes to get the money, Jay-Jay is a strong independent woman who uses her mind to get herself to the top. Two, she does it not for the love of the money or the clothes or the shoes. She does it for the love of her family. While many authors i have read, mostly the female characters are looking out for the next shoe or the next purse, she was aiming for the next meal for her sisters among other things and i would like to get more in dept of it, but i do want you, the readers to see for yourself. Three, its like a teenage love affair book. It makes you remember the time of your first love and you promise that you two will be together forever without knowing the road ahead of you. That blissful ignorance that we all love at the time of innocence where everybody around us tells us to grow up. And four, and i save the best for last, it showed that old saying, love and money do not mix well. Its vary rare in events that it does mix, but nine out of ten, it don't. Jaicyn is a strong, independent, no-nonsense woman with a hot temper. Rashawn is a controlling, ambitious, high-strung hustler who loves Jay-Jay with all his heart. It's like oil and gas, they both make the car run smoothly as possible to your dream destination, but you just need that match to watch it all blow up. and when its big money involve, that match turns into a blowtorch. I cannot wait until i read part two. I already have plans to get the second edition of the story very soon. Good Work Ms. Jackie Chanel
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse