5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than his first book--which was great!
Once the titular apocalypse began, I could not put this book down. I was glad to see ELOPe again--the most interesting character in the book is not a human being. The details of how an AI society would be organized are great. Don't skip the first book, Avogadro Corp., which is also a terrific yarn. And now I can hardly wait for the third in the series.
Published on June 5, 2012 by J. Macdonald

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking sequel
It surprised me enormously to read the almost exclusivly favouring reviews here.

In my opinion, compared to the first book in the series, this number 2 is a huge disappointment.
Published 5 months ago by A.P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than his first book--which was great!, June 5, 2012
This review is from: A.I. Apocalypse (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, smashing, stimulating, April 6, 2012
Book 1 was good. This, book 2, was even better. It seemed almost written by a different author.

I like a Sy Fy thriller, and even more so when it is based in hard tech.

Hertling packed the following fun into this tales:
Hacking
Algorithms
Biology
Evolution
Singularity
Crowd-sourcing
Virus: propagation, infection, & detection-avoidance
Trade guidelines: trustworthiness, peacfulness, & contribution
A.I.
Learning mechanisms: assimulation, experimentation, & exchange of information
Human thinking in dozens of operations per per minute.

Fun. Fun. Fun. Best i have read in 3 months. That is ~ 90 books.
so lets round up. The book is 1 in a 100.
[]
thos
[]

5.0 out of 5 stars The future, short term, March 9, 2012
The wonderful thing about this series is the proximity of it -- the future doesn't depend on some magical technology becoming available, transforming the world. It's all about current trends, current technology, pushed just a little bit and combined in a way that enables powerful, believable results. This book is a perfect follow-on to Avogadro Corp, starting a new story but building on the the previous work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Futuristic Thriller, February 9, 2014
While not completely necessary, before you read this book you might want to consider reading Avogadro Corp: The Singularity Is Closer Than It Appears (Singularity Series) which is the first book in the series.

This second installment could be a standalone, as there is a large time gap in the series of events between the two which makes me wonder if there will be another installment in the series which bridges the gap as they are really two different books that just so happen to have two characters carrying over from the first installment; unlike most sequels, I thought this one was a heck of a lot better than book one of the series.

I think the author does a good job of giving you one possible scenario of how a computer program could become a true artificial intelligence, as well as how a computer virus program could spin out of control and form multiple A.I.'s as it certainly got me thinking about it well after I completed the book. Without having a spoiler there are a few instances where you want to call "bull" on the situations, yet it was very thought-provoking and one of those books I didn't want to put down until I plowed all the way through it. However, the Walter Mitty fantasy-type moments I had while reading the book - and continue to have - certainly outweigh my previous comment.

If you like a good science fiction thriller that seems just a couple of years into the future, I'd recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Hooked - Love this series, March 24, 2012
William Hertling has the gift. He can create a world that's plausible, but exciting in its differences from our current reality. A.I. Apocalypse tells the tale of what we should worry about as our computers become more powerful and have greater connection to our information... And what we may be able to do about it.

Just as I said after his first book in the Singularity Series, I can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first book!, August 24, 2012
I don't do many reviews, but felt I should for this book.
I read the first book in this series,and found it to be pretty good, but seemed a little rushed or slightly thin in some areas.
The author clearly had a second book in mind from the start because this book is better than the first in the series.
The pace is fast moving, never too slow. Exacting details are always given.
He also has full understanding and knowledge of his subject matter, and is able to convey that information to the reader.
I'm a CIO for a Healthcare Company and found a lot of his information to be accurate.
The technology that he writes about made the geek in me want a "Gibson" phone.
All in all an enjoyable read, and I look forward to the third book in the series "The Last Firewall".

5.0 out of 5 stars Hertling does it again!, March 2, 2012
J. Weiss (Vancouver, WA) - See all my reviews
A.I. Apocalypse (Singularity Series) is set about 10 years in the future, following the events of Avogadro Corp: The Singularity Is Closer Than It Appears (Singularity Series). The benevolent artificial intelligence from the first book, ELOPe, has nudged human interactions to provide significant advances in computing, medicine, world peace, etc. While ELOPe hasn't exactly been lonely as the sole strong AI, he's about to have a lot more company.

After depicting a realistic scenario for how strong AI might develop today with a large amount of resources during the first book, Avogadro Corp, this second book is even more frightening in its illustration of how strong AI might accidentally come about (again!), though this time with far fewer resources.

In A.I. Apocalypse, we see the evolution of individual AIs and their development into a civilized society. It's an interesting exploration of the genesis of a society, its values, and its attempt to control rogue agents.

The action of the man vs. machine (later becoming machine vs. machine) conflict is just as page-turning and un-put-down-able as the first book. It's almost enough to make one want to live off-grid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced and fairly realistic!, April 5, 2014
Michael Barr (Elkridge, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Though it would have benefitted slightly from a professional edit cycle, I really enjoyed this fast-paced look at how artificial intelligence might emerge and some of the possible implications for the world.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking sequel, February 21, 2014
This review is from: A.I. Apocalypse (Paperback)

The premise, as a near future scifi novel, is nice and well done. Technologies are, again like the first book, not to far fetched to be unbelieveable and still relateable. The viewpoint of the emerging AIs also was interesting to read. To speak of the greatest advantage of this book: The writing style, still great and easy to read.

As to the negatives, there are some of them that are worse than others. I'll try to avoid spoilers.
The main character Leon is in my opinion the worst possible type of character there is. Unbelieveable in his actions, he seems to be allergic to any kind of reason. I know that he is supposed to be a teenager, but then again a 'genius' too. In this book there is the constant reminder that he is a biology wiz and can do feats beyond imagining, but judging from his and his friends actions he barely seems capable of thinking. Always stumbling from one catastrophy to the next.
This also applies to the rest of humanity. Faced with a worldwide virus, only the american military and one faction (Not to be named here to avoid spoilers.) seem to be able to react in anyway. The rest of humanity, other countries, previously established mega-cooperations or the private citizen seem to be completely inert in all this chaos, not even trying to do anything. A little bit of consideration, shown in the first book of the series, would have been appreciated.
At last, the scientific background is debateable to say the least. I know, many don't care about the basic science in scifi, but in my opinion one should get the basics of evolutionary biology right. That is, that mutations enable natural selection and not that natural selection causes mutations. (Sadly i failed to mark the exact location of this, but it made me cringe when i read it. Also it isn't relevant in the context of the story itself.) One can debate if AI develops as fast as described here, but i will grant this to the artistic freedom of the author. As well as the specific pick of technologies displayed here: Some are incredible advanced, while others seem oddly familiar.

After all a nice read, even if at more than one point i just wanted to give up, because of another plothole or another failed characterization. For that, 2 stars, are fair.
I'll buy the third book in the series without question, not on the merit of the second, but solely because of the first. Also i want to point out, that english is not my first language, so errors in this review should be excused. I've read the book in the original english and can with certainy say that my reading competence shouldn't have been the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars A better sequel, January 26, 2014
Monte Huebsch (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
Authors writing style has improved. This sequel is better, compared to his original work. Fast paced and believable. Enjoy and waiting for the next installment

A.I. Apocalypse
A.I. Apocalypse by William Hertling (Paperback - May 24, 2012)
$10.95 $9.86