4.0 out of 5 stars Still doing it well

3.0 out of 5 stars Male's Perspective
Published 8 months ago by marcEmarc

3.0 out of 5 stars Male's Perspective, June 19, 2014
This review is from: A.K.A. (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I'm not someone who would ever buy a JLO album for myself. I actually purchased this one for my wife who is a big fan. By default I usaully end up hearing all of her music, and have even taken my wife to see her perfom live. I wanted to weigh in on this new CD because I noticed most of the reviews frame JLO an untalented musician who gets by on her looks. When we saw her live at the United Center in Chicago she and her husband Marc Anthony brought the house down. She had spectactular dance sequences, costumes, and atually sang every song while she performed (No Lip Syncing). Its true she is Performer or Entertainer more so than a pure musician, but that shouldn't be held against her. She can sing, dance, act, and is a style/ pop icon- She's not going be John Mayer, or Pink Floyd- she is just going to entertain you with a great show. (This is often overlooked now b/c JLO has become a brand) This CD is actually pretty good, compared to the last two (Brave, Love). I'd like to see her do something w/o Pit Bull, maybe with Justin Timberlake or even a duet with Beyonce instead, but it has some good tracks that a regular guy like myself can appreciate. AKA is not as good or as heartfelt as "On the 6" which sets the mood in my house from time to time along with a few candles- but its enjoyable for long car rides with the wifey. If you like JLO you will like this album. It fits well into the collection of her first 3 Albums. I would give it 3.5 stars instead of 4 if I could, but its pretty cool and so is JLO

4.0 out of 5 stars Still doing it well, June 17, 2014
This review is from: A.K.A. (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
When it came to naming her new studio album, Jennifer Lopez pondered over multiple titles. Over the years she has assumed various names and guises, and has successfully dabbled in many musical genres. As such, it is only fitting that the rejuvenated pop diva switch hats once again, dropping her dancefloor diva persona of last album "Love?", and presenting an advanced version of her urban-pop, ghetto-glam style of her first albums. The result is unusually varied and ambitious, displaying her older Latin-fused sound with a more contemporary electro-pop-dance vibe. Amidst sizzling beats and sumptuous melodies, and numerous guest turns, Jennifer with her inimitable swag marries together all of the musical sounds she has experimented with over the years, in a righteous, self-aware attempt to regain her once all-conquering chart status.

The title track, "First love", "Troubeaux" and "Same girl" are some of Jenny's all-time best, representing the album's versatile musical landscape. Most surprising, though, are the softer moments, where rather unexpectedly she gets to soar, songs like "So good" and "Let it be me" in particular are brilliantly crafted ballads, the kind that is no longer found on pop albums. When talking about recording "A.K.A.", JLo said that she wanted to go back to her roots. "I really love the process of making an album, this one in particular, because it took me so long." Some things are worth the wait, "A.K.A." certainly has been. Mostly enjoyable, slightly predictable, it is yet another exciting album for JLo who still remains standing, a recognisable force in an industry dominated by fleeting pop stars. She never fails to please, gotta give her credit at least for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars On The 6 v0.9 (aka 2.0 but not as good), July 1, 2014
I've been a Jennifer Lopez fan from "Selena" & "On The 6". This is a biased review, but I spell out a few neutral perspectives.
It is interesting for a singer to release an R&B album like this right now, especially when what brought them back front & center was a dance hit (On The Floor) & electronic sound (Papi, Dance Again, etc.). She did stretch her midtempo chops with "I'm Into You" (can we please talk about how we need a version without Lil Wayne's voice, released?) but it was largely a dance record (that I had mixed feelings about - lazy production on the non singles).
Here we have another singer making an R&B comeback album (do those words go together anymore?). Let's look at Brandy's "211" album from a couple years ago. Yes, it sold. Yes, that's the sound we expect & love from Brandy. (But where was the Full Moon 2.0 we were all waiting for?) Bad second single choice, low promo, & the fact that it was R&B released in the middle of the dance peak, all hurt that album (in my opinion).
ANYway, back to the album I'm reviewing (that was a parallel) : Jennifer Lopez must have felt that retelling the usual "Im Real"/"Jenny From The Block"/"Ain't It Funny" (some of her biggest hits - from a different time when hiphop, etc, was enormous- early 200s) was a good idea. I'm not knocking it. The album has catchy melodies. She even gives us a ballad in the vein of "On the 6"'s "Promise Me You'll Try" & "Could This Be Love?", but shows her vocal chops more than she ever has. "Let It Be Me" is a powerful song, & my favorite on the album, but that doesn't mean I necessarily agree with Billboard's recent writeup that she should stick to ballads.
My opinion on how this album is only 4 stars instead of 5 stars is this: No one would expect Jennifer Lopez to come out with a song that touts something like this: "People change. I change. I'm strong now. I don't need to say I remember who I am because I will always be me but I will always evolve, etc etc". Messages like that. Empowering, growth, etc. No, we've been hearing the "I'm still the same person!" shtick since "I'm Real" & we all know it & associate it with Jennifer Lopez. While on one hand, if we look at Madonna, Janet Jackson, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, it is their revamping of their look & sound that has kept them interesting to the masses. Jennifer Lopez hasn't cut her hair into a pixie cut or worn a green wig (thank goodness) in her entire career. She literally LOOKS like the "Same Girl", but how many songs do we need about that from one artist? (in my opinion). How many songs on one album require a rap feature? It seems to be important to her or her team, but this album would have received six stars from me if the theme was less "let's have a throwback party to 2002!" & more "I Am Me...Now".
Her vocals do sound great. As someone who works with sound engineering, Melodyne & autotune, etc, are very powerful programs & are able to do anything nowadays. But hearing her live this time around, she is singing much better, more confidently, than she ever has before. She sings live more than she ever has before & it is wonderful!!
I'll go through track by track now:
1) AKA - really catchy! "It took you too long/to find out/what you want/right now." Banging midtempo opener with some bigger drums than she's used. It features a rap.
2) First Love - Really happy track but I don't think radio understands the chorus. I love it. The feeling is I'm Real but shot with adrenaline & a different message. Very summer-y.
3) Never Satisfied - She performed this song live a year or so ago, with guitars & a very rocknroll edge. I loved seeing her do that! This one is more glitchy & beat heavy & I would have loved to hear a version similar to the rock one she performed since we're not used to that from her. But the song & melody are so strong that it makes it alright.
4) I Luh Ya Papi - Say what you will about this one. It's fun, summer, catchy. If Rihanna did it, it would have been number one (but she could paint a wall & it would be number one, so there's that). At first the enunciation & everything annoyed me, but I find myself loving it when it comes on in the middle of a workout!
5) Acting Like That - This features Iggy Azalea. She's never duetted with a female. I love this one. Catchy. Good message. The melodyne/autotune/whichever is hard on this one. They could have turned down the modulation & been fine. It sounds dark, minor chord, singing to a lover about why they're acting like that. "You gon miss me when I'm gone"
6) Emotions - While the writing isn't so great (weakest track on the album, with lyrics like "I feel good cos I don't feel bad" that require you to meta-think to make them make sense; for instance, she is talking like that asa robot would because someone took her emotions & only someone without emotions would sound so robotic with a statement like that. bla) It is catchy but another minor chord after the hot Iggy Azalea feature is too much for me. This is the one song I skip most of the time.
7) So Good - & then we come in with an awesome bubbly pensive electro song about how good she is after the lover left her. It's like "All I Have" without a rap, in tone only (this one is more midtempo dance) & "I'm Gonna Be Alright". She sounds icy on this one though, whereas she sounded like she was on fire on "I'm Gonna Be Alright". This makes up for "Emotions"'s weakness.
8) Let It Be Me - The best song on the album. Alot of them are great songs, don't get me wrong, but I've never heard her like this & I love her on a simple ballad. She impressed on her first album with a two great beautiful ballads ("Could This Be Love", "Promise Me You'll Try") & this is like those two combined. She has a Celine Dion moment on this one.
9) Worry No More - features a rap. I love this one. It's dreamy. Like something Jhene Aiko would make, honestly. Hopeful, doesn't sound either major or minor, just neutral limbo synthy heaven.
10) Booty - Why does this feature Pitbull? He annoys me so. If he wasn't on it I would love the track. Everyone I know associates Jennifer with Pitbull almost as much as the "I'm Real" mentality I mentioned earlier, & honestly it's boring. He ruined "Dance Again" for me. "On The Floor" worked as it seemed to be a one-off. I realize they're friends but she really needs to stop with him. It's a fun track. Diplo is great as always. This is a faster dance song looking to be the next single.
11) Tens - I do like this one, even though it can be annoying at times & besides the chorus it's just a splash of references & names being yelled at each other. I like that she features Mizrahi. Most features are a big macho guy talking about drugs or her butt, etc.. This is RuPaul if he went dancehall. She recognizes her ballroom fans for sure in this. Awesome references "Tens across the board", but it doesn't feel as epic as Britney's "Work Bitch".
12) Troubeaux - I skip this one & honestly haven't listened to it so I forget what it sounds like.
13) Ready Set Go - Just an alright song. Similar to Troubeaxu in that I just don't listen to it.
14) Same Girl - I like this one, but let me say that for non-fans, it's going to seem like she just keeps remaking the "Jenny From The Block"/ "I'm Real" formula. A little too epic & dramatic, & I detest the rap, & there are parts where the modulation of the vocal adjusting software shows when it really didn't have to (lazy sound engineers?) so the real closer to the album for me is Tens. But it's still catchy when I'm in the mood for it.
All in all, I like it because she seems to be singing better than she has before, & in a way that is similar to Kylie Minogue's album "Body Language", she tried a new sound compared to what brought her into the spotlight (Jennifer Lopez with "On The Floor" a dance album, Kylie with "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" & a dance album, coming out with a more mellow R&B infused album). She experimented, so to speak, & it's good. Let's enjoy the song of the summer "Booty" with a Pitbull-free EDIT! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but it's not her best, June 25, 2014
This review is from: A.K.A. (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
Like the title says, Jennifer Lopez's new album A.K.A. is decent, but it's not her best effort. I'm glad that she decided to get back into the urban pop sound she is known for, but I think she could have done better lyrically and musically. Most of the songs contain a lot of electronic elements mixed in with her signature urban pop sound and sometimes, it just doesn't blend well. Plus, some of the lyrics in her songs are okay, but there not that good. However, I will commend her on something: her balladry is improving. The four ballads "Never Satisfied", "Emotions", "Let It Be Me" and "Same Girl" are pretty darn good than any other ballad she has released in the past. I was thoroughly impressed by them.

Here are, in my opinion, the best nine songs on the album:
* "Never Satisfied"
* "I Luh Ya Papi"
* "Acting Like That"
* "Emotions"
* "Let It Be Me"
* "Booty"
* "Tens"
* "Expertease (Ready, Set, Go)"
* "Same Girl"

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed it, January 6, 2015
booklover4life84 (lake village, arkansas) - See all my reviews
A great album by Jennifer Lopez, I love her voice and her music. The 1 song I absolutely love and can't get out of my head is "never satisfied"

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOOVE !!, June 23, 2014
This review is from: A.K.A. (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of J'Lo's music for years and though I love all the music she has done, This CD is one of her best since her earlier days!!! It is current, very much JLO's style of music, and has mix of everything from upbeat to medium tempos to ballads. I dont understand why people under rate her so much with this album because it is far from being bad ... PERIOD!

My favorite tracks are 2) FIRST LOVE 3) NEVER SATISFIED 4) I LUH YA PAPI 5) ACTING LIKE THAT 10) BOOTY 11) TENS 12) TROUBEAUX AND 14) SAME GIRL ......... HOWEVER ..... THE ENTIRE CD IS PURE JLO GENIUS !!!!!

I also must point out that track 3) NEVER SATISFIED - is the best ballad that I have heard her do! Shes has always been known for her upbeat Latina flare, but this track stays on repeat for me, and show cases her versatility!

HANDS DOWN ....... J'LO DESERVES MUCH MORE CREDIT FOR THIS ALBUM BECAUSE IT IS A MUST HAVE !

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved "Let It Be Me", August 7, 2014
This review is from: A.K.A. [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Jennifer Lopez continues to pick songs that are different in their own unique way. I loved "Let It Be Me", it showed a range of musical notes I had never heard from Jennifer Lopez before, also loved the words. It's a song for the ages for people who are wishing for that extremely hard to find "true love".

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Album!, June 25, 2014
This review is from: A.K.A. (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I seriously don't know why critics are putting down this album so easily. I honestly think they are paid to criticize. They usually give all the awesome music horrible ratings, such as this album. Entertainment Weekly gave this album a D. A D! Just goes to show they have no taste. After hearing "Live It Up" in May of last year, i was so pumped for this album. Months passed, and "Girls," and "Same Girl" were released. To be honest, i hated "Girls" when i heard it. I thought it was one of the most boring songs i had ever listened to. I absolutely loved Same Girl though. Then, "I Luh Ya Papi" was released, (which everyone seems to hate, but i luh! (Lol)) "First Love" really was a great single as well. This album was a solid listen for me, all the way through with no skips whatsoever. I loved the first track, "AKA" with T.I. It is such a great, catchy song. This album features a few ballads, more compared to her last album, "Love?", released in 2011. My favorite ballad is "Let It Be Me." I honestly think this is one of the most beautiful JLO songs ever. It is such a great song. I love it so much! The album features club bangers like "Booty," a song that could be interpreted about JLO's "famous" booty, and deluxe tracks such as "Tens". I think the only thing about this album that was a letdown was that "Live It Up" wasn't featured on it, and i personally think there were maybe a few too many guest appearances. JLO should have featured the single version of "Same Girl," and "Girls," just saying. If you keep hearing that this album is awful and not to buy it, whoever says that is DEAD WRONG. This album is honestly one of the best JLO albums ever! a must have for any JLO fan! This throws back to her JLO album days in 2001. For 44 years old, and to have two kids, JLO is at the top of her game. SOLID.

Best Tracks: AKA, First Love, I Luh Ya Papi, Let It Be Me, Booty, Same Girl.

3.0 out of 5 stars Significant Growth in vocals and style on this confident album, June 18, 2014
PourHomme80 (Los Angeles, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A.K.A. (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
This album see's Jenny return to the block as this album harkens back to her first couple albums. There are some great pop melodies on this album thanks to some of today's hottest producers (Diplo, French Montana, Sia and more.)

Best Tracks:
So Good
Acting Like That
AKA
Booty
Tens

The best tracks on the album are the one's where Jenny takes you to the dance floor. This is less EDM but more booty-shaking trap/twerk urban beats:
"Booty" is a surefire hit and in my opinion should have been the first single from this album. As soon as she had dropped "Booty" she should have also dropped "Tens" to the clubs and watched how this double promo would have resulted in a home-run right out of the gate.

"First Love" is the first single that is showing some steam. So far its a top 20 radio hit so let's see how this one plays out. The first few tracks that were released as singles, "I luv Ya Papi" and "Same Girl" are good album tracks but definitely not worthy of being a single and were terrible choices to try and launch this album. As a matter of fact, "Same Girl" has now been relegated to the "Deluxe" version of the album only.

A major highlight on this album that pushes J-lo into new territory is the stunning "So Good." She sounds gorgeous, the beat, the energy and style just take her to a new place and really show her artistic growth. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! If you want to hear J-lo at her best, this is the track to go to. This may be a tricky song to release as a single in the US but since the album has essentially tanked, I think her label should take the risk and push this out as a single, internationally at least.

Jennifer does several rock pop ballads on this album ("Never Satisfied" "Let It Be Me" "Expertease") as well as an urban slow jam ("Worry No More.") The only interesting track for me out of these slower ballady tracks is "Emotions" because it takes me back to the late 80's, early 90's NY Freestyle sound like "The Cover Girls" "Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam" etc. which is a territory that Lopez should explore further on future albums. None of these track I just mentioned will stand the test of time though and unfortunately make one feel like there is quite a bit of filler.

Finally, "Acting Like That" with Iggy Azalea is a highly infectious slow hip-hop burner while title track A.K.A has more energy and sneakily gets stuck in your head with its addictive sound. "Troubeaux" with Nas is a throwback to her "Jenny from the Block" album and worth checking out but doesn't stand-out for me too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars HER DEBUT ALBUM FROM CAPITAL RECORDS, June 30, 2014
This review is from: A.K.A. (Audio CD)
THIS IS A GREAT ALBUM. HOWEVER, WHY ARE THE 2 EXCLUSIVE SONGS, 'GIRLZ-THE TYGA REMIX VERSION' AND 'CHARADES' ONLY ON THE EXPLICIT VERSION? I WANTED 2 BUY THE CLEAN VERSION OF THIS ALBUM AND THE ONLY WAY 2 GET THE EXTRA SONGS IS 2 GET THE EXPLICIT VERSION? NOW U KNOW THEY CAN RECORD THIS ON THE CLEAN VERSION 2. THIS WAS INTENTIONAL. THOSE 2 EXTRAS ARE GREAT SONGS AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN RECORDED ON THE CLEAN VERSION.

A.K.A. (Deluxe)
A.K.A. (Deluxe) by Jennifer Lopez (Audio CD - 2014)