Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on October 29, 2009
This is a keeper for a Lorrie Morgan fan! Lorrie was born to sing traditional country songs, she is the last of the true great country ladies. I think country radio has really made a mistake not playing her and some other artists from the 1990's. Her version of "Leaving On your Mind" is the best one I have heard next to the original Patsy Cline. I have really enjoyed this CD since I got it yesterday. Its great to have you back Lorrie!
on October 28, 2009
I have always thought Lorrie Morgan's voice was great but her material was inconsistent. After Martina McBride's yawn of a covers album, Timeless, and Patty Loveless' better but unexciting Sleepless Nights, this album shows how to take songs and reinterpret them. What is the point of a covers album if you're going to stick with the original arrangements and vocal interpretations? Lorrie Morgan made each track new and interesting, aided mostly by her emotive voice. She sings these songs as she feels them. The duet with Raul Malo on Easy Lovin' is more beautiful than Freddie Hart's original, and her take on Merle Haggard's I'm Always On A Mountain When I Fall sounds fresh and original. There is not a bad track here. My only complaint would be the slightly unimaginative duet with Tracy Lawrence on the Conway & Loretta classic, After the Fire is Gone. This album is classic and will sound great forever.
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2009
This is one of the best albums I've bought so far from Amazon's MP3 service. Fantastic songs. Country-western chick-lit heartbreak. Some of the songs are classic country western, but others I'd never heard before.

I recommend this purchase for any fan of Lorrie Morgan.
on November 1, 2009
Lorrie couldn't have made a more perfect comeback album - the countrypolitan sound of this makes it sound modern, yet traditional, and it compliments Lorrie's voice perfectly. This album has become my second favorite of 09 after Wynonna's "Sing", and I recommend it wholly. The song selection is, at times, slightly uninspired, but not enough for it to detract significantly from the album.

Best tracks: Cry, Leavin' On Your Mind, Break It To Me Gently, and Misty Blue.
on July 17, 2013
I know for a fact this review will get loads of non-helpful votes, but for real, I wish someone would have written a review like the one I am writing now before I purchased this used for a hefty price.

Lorrie Morgan made a great choice of songs for this classics collection. It's sounds like it could have been recorded in 1965. The sound is dead on for the selected songs and the production is top notch. I will not go through the song listing one by one, as my one big problem is present on all the songs. Lorrie Morgan's voice has changed so much from the last time I have purchased any of her music. I am guessing that it has to do with her smoking habit, as her voice is very hoarse and low sounding.

More than anything listening to this cd all I can think about is how great it would have been if it were recorded 10 years earlier. I know that we cannot change what aging brings to someone, however it deserves to be mentioned, it is the main reason that "A Moment in Time" left me wanting more and feeling depressed that one of my favorite female vocalists has forever lost the voice that initially attracted me to her work.

So go ahead and click "no" for not helpful, but at least I have told the truth and hopefully will keep someone from overspending for a used copy as I did.
Lorrie Morgan loves to sing oldies. All of her most successful albums contained at least a couple of covers including such classics as Eight days a week, It`s a heartache, Picture of me without you and Will you still love me tomorrow (to name a few), while she also recorded Secret love, an entire album of pop oldies. So while I enjoy hearing Lorrie sing original material, I was very pleased to learn that she had recorded another entire album of covers. While most of the songs are reasonably familiar, most of them have not been covered excessively.

The set opens with Cry, the old Johnnie Ray classic, which is by far the most covered song here. Lynn Anderson had a top three country hit in the seventies, then Crystal Gayle had a number one country hit with it in the eighties, so the song is clearly popular with country fans. Willie Nelson and Janie Fricke are among the other country singers to have covered the song. If there is one song here that has been excessively covered, it would be Cry, but I never tire of hearing this song. I wouldn't like to say whose version is best, but Lorrie's version is well up to the standard I expected.

The second track, Are you lonesome tonight, is perhaps the most famous song here, even ahead of Cry, because it became one of Elvis Presley's classics. Despite this, and despite it being a much older song than Cry (it was originally an American hit for Vaughn DeLeath in 1927) , there aren't anything like as many cover versions of this song as there are of Cry. As far as I know, the first country act to cover the song was the original Carter family, back in the thirties. I'm very pleased that Lorrie chose this song to record, as it suits her so well.

Some people deride covers albums, but quite apart from the intrinsic pleasure they give me, they also sometimes lead me to buy music that I might not otherwise buy, because if I come across a song and don't know or can't remember the original artist, I find out. On this album, Lorrie chose to include Mel Street's first two (and biggest) hits, these being Borrowed angel and Lovin' on back streets, thereby reminding me that I really ought to buy some of his music. The most obscure track here, Alright I'll sign the papers, was a minor country hit for three different singers, these being Jeannie Seely (herself best remembered for Don't touch me), George Morgan (Lorrie's father) and Mel Tillis (who wrote the song). Another song that is rarely heard these days is Easy loving, which was originally a massive country hit for Freddie Hart. It won CMA song of the year for two years running, but while it is still a fine song, it hasn't exactly justified the awards. Other songs from the same era have proved to be more enduring.

The other songs are also excellent including (of course) a cover of a Tammy Wynette song. Lorrie clearly loves Tammy's music and this time chose to record Till I get it right. The production, notable for its simplicity and its absence of overdubs, contrasts sharply with much of what you'll hear elsewhere. If you enjoy covers albums by female country singers, you've been spoiled for choice in recent years, with Dolly Parton Those Were the Days, Martina McBride Timeless, Patty Loveless Sleepless Nights, Tanya Tucker My Turn, Kate Campbell Twang on a Wire and Rosanne Cash The List among those to have released such albums. If you enjoy some of those, Lorrie's album is another one to add to your collection.
on April 23, 2016
This is the second cd like this Lorrie Morgan has made. The first one Secret Love was more of a Pop Standards. Something like Doris Day would have done. With songs like Fly Me To The Moon. This is more Country Classics with some pretty good songs like Break It To Me Gently and Misty Blue. She does a lot of songs that were made famous by men like By The Time I Get To Phoenix and I'm Always On A Mountain When I Fall and Lovin' On Back Streets. And there was one song I didn't know at all. Alright I'll Sign The Papers. I have been a fan of Lorrie Morgan for a long time. And I would rather listen to her own original cds. But this is still okay every once in a while.
on February 23, 2010
I got to know Lorrie on the Beach Boys DVD called The Nashville Sound
where she interpreted one of the best BB songs ever (Don't Worry Baby).
That was in 1996 and since that wonderful discovery I'm collecting everything she has recorded eversince + what she had done before including some great songs from the mid 80's only available on DVD country compilations from those days.
This particular CD of hers shows us her different voice ranges from high to quite low and sounds like a mixture of Patsy Cline and Tammy Wynette, the two authentic queens of C&W for the past 50 years. Patsy's Leavin' On Your Mind and Tammy's 'Til I Get It Right are certainly the highlights but the rest of the covers are breathtakin' as well thanks to the wonderful back-up music.
Her duet with another of my favorate singers, Raul Malo, is already worth
having this CD. Add to that covers of Elvis, Brenda Lee, Glen Campbell,
Jeannie Seely, Faron Young among others and you'll agree with me that this record is a must for country music lovers.
on November 25, 2009
One of the all-time queens of country music, you can rely on Lorrie Morgan for producing class.
This album features songs that were hits from both the country and pop fields, but as usual, Lorrie stamps her own indomitable style on them all to come up with an album that will please any true country fan. A very welcome addition to any country collection.
on November 24, 2009
I have waited for this cd for a longtime and finally it came it is one of her best cd's ever if anyone should pick up that cd it's all the wait and more all tradition songs that i love like when her dad was around.
nancy