5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!
I have read many books written by doctors and nurses about their experiences and this one is definitely the best I have ever read. Not only is Tilda and incredible nurse but she's an incredible writer.

Published on March 10, 2006 by Tracy

1.0 out of 5 stars Negative Impact on Nursing
As an ICU nurse, I think that this book sets back the image of nursing 20years; I don't know any nurse who has ever 'wrapped themselves up in blankets pulled up chairs and took naps'-I am not too sure what kind of ICU Ms. Shaloub worked in, but her patients could not have been very critical for her to feel safe and comfortable enough to nap. Besides being completely...
Published on May 3, 2008 by rndrc

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, March 10, 2006
Tracy (Burke, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nurse's Story (Paperback)

I can speak from experience, not as a nurse but as a patient. I have had six neurosurgeries, 2 of which required short stays in the ICU. I went through hell with every surgery and I learned that nurses can have a huge influence on how you feel both physically and emotionally.

Throughout these surgeries, I had a wide range of nurses. At the top were the nurses who were wonderful. They sometimes went above and beyond what they absolutely had to do. A couple of them even managed to bring a smile to my face when I was feeling so sick that I wanted to die. In the middle were the nurses who were kind and caring but didn't necessarily do anything special that set them apart from the rest. At the bottom were the nurses who showed very little empathy and didn't do a thing to help me through the trauma I was going through. I had a couple of nurses who were downright cold and even mean to me.

By reading this book, I can tell that Tilda, along with some of the other nurses she talks about, would definitely have been at the top of that list. So, Tilda, if you are reading this, we need more nurses like you!

This is a great book for anyone, whether they are in the medical profession, have been a patient themselves, or are simply interested in reading about this sort of thing. It was like reading a novel that you just can't put down. Definitely a 5 star book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, touching, terrifying and heartwarming, and above all honest, February 19, 2006
This review is from: A Nurse's Story (Paperback)
I was in the hospital a lot as a teen, for numerous surgeries on my lungs, and I developed an interest in medical non-fiction as a way of understanding the emotionally complicated world of medicine. I have read about twenty non-fiction books by doctors, nurses, interns, and others involved in the field, and Shalof's really stands out from the rest.

For one thing, nurses put in more time with each patient than doctors and surgeons do, so there is an emotional minefield ready to be explored. Shalof writes with such direct and unmistakeable honesty about her conflicting emotions in different situations, her thoughts and opinions about each patient's journey in the system, and in a broader sense with the incredibly frustrating and at the same time very gratifying field of nursing.

She brings up fascinating insights that the other books I have read didn't touch on, and the writing is so accessible and personal that I couldn't wait to get back to this book when I put it down.

I am really hoping for more from Shalof, because her writing is both beautiful and refreshingly frank.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Highly Recommended; Appealing on Many Levels, March 10, 2004
R. Adam Young (Down East, MAINE (USA)) - See all my reviews
Initially purchased title, recommended by a collogue, to augment my clinical research on our medical care crisis, shortage and inadequacy of nursing care, high prescription costs, etc., here in Maine, vis a vis our Northern neighbors. Was hoping to find Ms. Shalof's work informative; but very pleasantly surprised to find it so very engrossing and moving, as well.
Must've feared receiving a dry recitation of facts and figures, with a few bare-bones character sketches sprinkled in. Hardly the case, fortunately. Quite detail-rich and filled with a myriad of fascinating characters, both care givers and patients. Confess I finished it, and it's not slim by any means, in 48 hours (my Inbox is now suffering for it!).
Must note, Tilda's work personalized the sometimes heroic challenges high-pressure, medical care practioners struggle with, particularly ICU; at the same time it opened a fascinating window on patient perspective I suspect could not've seen otherwise. Insight on quality of care issues, as well as the "essence" of the nursing experience, will certainly inform my project recommendations. Personally, intrigued by the Canadian nursing perspective -- which, as it turns out (least for this nurse) is not so unlike the best of ours here in the states.
Finally, must comment: top-notch writing! Don't usually lavish praise, but having just finished (for recreation) Hemingway's "Farewell to Arms," I found the unadonred, yet touching directness of her prose, esp. for a first-time author, to've stood up well; in particular, reminiscent of the emotional impact of Hemingway's Catherine in Childbirth scene. Must confess, found as entertaining as P.D. James' "Shroud for a Nightingale," too. Read this book! Won't disappoint on any level. Felt as almost knew author at end -- surely hope to see more from her -- and somehow witnessed her struggles and epiphanies, too. Not crossing the border anytime soon, but wouldn't mind shaking Tilda's hand (unless she'd just completed some messy, hands-on, life saving medical procedure, of course).

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, January 14, 2008
Jane Doe "Melissa" (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nurse's Story (Paperback)
I'm 7mo into my nursing career in a Pediatric Cardiac ICU. I'm at the point where the "honeymoon" is over. The charge nurse is giving me more difficult assignments and the senior nurses are expecting more from me. Most days its great, its nice knowing that the senior staff has the confidence in you to assign challenging pts. Other days... well its nice to read a book reminding you that this is our profession and even with the bad days, its wonderful. I loved this book, couldn't put it down. Several times when reading I just had to laugh out loud and say, "I've done that." or "I've felt that way."
After reading it, I bought six more copies and gave them away as gifts to some co-workers. Do yourself the favor and read this book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonnie RN, May 3, 2004
Well written, with humour and compassion. I work on a Medical unit and Step-Down Unit, in a downtown Toronto Hospital (across from the writers') and can strongly relate to her experiences.
Excellent read - she voices very well so much that I have felt and seen in my own experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, May 18, 2006
This review is from: A Nurse's Story (Paperback)
This was a very good book about life as an ICU nurse. It many stories funny, sad, and everything in between. Many of the hardships felt by nurses and especially the emotional strain of dealing with the the death and suffering that these people face, but also the stories of the recoveries. I enjoyed it and had a hard time putting it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You for telling my story too!!, December 18, 2007
This review is from: A Nurse's Story (Paperback)
If you want to know what it's like to be a nurse in the ICU, this book is a MUST read!! As an RN in the States with 23 years experience in the ICU, this could have been my story too! I always imagined writing a book about my experience, now I don't have to! Thank You Tilda!! You are my Hero!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, November 3, 2008
L. Jenkins (Somewhere in GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nurse's Story (Paperback)
As a critical nurse, I can definately relate to the stories portrayed in this book. I understand all too well the frustration with short staffing, ways of cutting money at the expense of patients and the burnout nurses come to experience. But, I can also relate to the relationships developed between nurses, patients and families. It is almost impossible to become connected in some way. There are some patients and families you just do not forget. One thing that sticks out is how well Ms. Shalof points out the lack of appreciation nurses receive by the MD's as well as administration and sometimes the general public. Doctor's are always given the praise when a patient is healed, nurses are praised for their attitude. However, it is the nurse who actually has the job of providing the care that heals patients, as Ms. Shalof has shown. I also found great humor in some of the stories and found myself laughing out loud! Overall, I feel Ms. Shalof has done an excellent job at portraying life as a critical care nurse. I will definately be telling my friends about this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, August 14, 2009
Coconutwire (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nurse's Story (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this book! It was written with humor and compassion. Some parts made me smile and some brought tears to my eyes. I pray that if I am ever in the hospital I will be taken care of by someone like Tilda. Thank you Tilda, for doing the work that you do. Not everyone is cut out to be a nurse, yet alone an ICU nurse, but your dedication does make a difference in the lives of so many. I plan to read your next book and have passed this one on to my sister.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, January 27, 2007
E. Pleasant (Kennewick, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nurse's Story (Paperback)
I bought this for my sister, who will be graduating nursing school this year, as an addtional book to the one she actually wanted. This thought this was fabulous and thinks everyone who is going into nursing should read it. I will going into the nursing program next year so she lent it to me after she read it in one day.

A Nurse's Story
A Nurse's Story by Tilda Shalof (Paperback - February 22, 2005)
$17.95 $13.66