5.0 out of 5 stars Sophia Nash breathes life into her characters.
Published on May 5, 2005 by Detra Fitch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a re-read
Published on August 26, 2004 by SusieQ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophia Nash breathes life into her characters., May 5, 2005
Set in 1814. Lord Nicholas Huntington returns home wounded from the war in hopes of seeing his father who is near death. His father continues to live thanks to Dr. Kittridge, the most talented physician in all of Europe. As the good doctor cares for his father, the doctor's daughter takes care of Lord Nick. All Lord Nick wishes to do is return to the war and leave everything else to his half brother, Lord Edwin. Dealing with his stepmother and Edwin is just more than Nick can seem to stomach.

Miss Charlotte Kittridge is proud to be her father's nurse. She knows she is not pretty and accepts that she is long past her prime. She wants only to learn from her father and help care for his patients. When Lord Nicholas arrives unconscious and then slightly delirious, she jumps into her nurse role, even against her patient's wishes. Charlotte is attracted to the man, but keeps her distance and treats him like any other patient. She and her father are kept busy tending the two lords. Yet Fate gives them an added burden anyway. Charlotte's cousin, "Alexandre" Lord Gaston, arrives in all his flirting glory.

Lord Nicholas finds his eyes searching out Miss Charlotte far too often. Her delicate touch and intelligent mind keeps him fascinated. Even though he is drawn to the lady, he must keep his distance. He promised his father that he would never marry. Yet seeing Alexandre vie for Charlotte's passion is just too much for him to handle.

***** Once again author Sophia Nash entices readers to lose themselves within her latest regency novel. And once again I find myself extremely glad that I did. There is much more going on than I am able to reveal without spoilers and quite a few more characters, each with their own unique personality. The people are so believable that I feel as though I actually know them. Sophia Nash breathes life into her characters in a way so few authors can. Highly recommended reading. *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome new author, October 10, 2004
Susan Smith (A small rural village in the English Midlands) - See all my reviews
Here goes - some thoughts - not a review as others have already presented very comprehensive outlines of the story. Although I would not rate "A Passionate Endeavor" as a keeper, I do welcome a talented writer to the Regency genre. The best thing about this novel was the great imagination of the author in introducing the topic of dyslexia whilst keeping it set within the timeframe of the novel. In otherwords, although there was a breakthrough for the hero, it was sensitively handled and seemed realistic.

The main criticism I have here is the introduction of a sort of "counter hero", Alexandre, Viscount Gaston. I was very confused about this character - was he a hero or villain? I also felt that Charlotte's childhood experiences were not fully exploited. And, there was a point in the last quarter of the novel where I felt the author was tiring and in some danger of losing the plot line.

Some of the characters, such as the two dowager Duchesses, were badly overwrought. The author gets the name of the 95th Regiment of Rifles wrongly named, over and over. I was surprised by this as it was something to get easily correct!

On the plus points, I was most impressed overall by the sensitive handling of the handicap of illiteracy and the ramifications in terms of self-esteem on a very kind and generous man who deserved the love and encouragement of his family. The 30 year old Lord Huntington's inability to read had coloured the whole of his life, the way others viewed him and, in the end, had made him ready to step back from his destined role in life. Very sad. How lovely that the love of an equally kind woman enabled him to find his true life's path.

For a second novel, this was very good although it did not quite reach the excitement I felt on first reading Anne Gracie's debut and follow up novels. I look forward to seeing what Sophia Nash produces next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully touching and tender--HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, August 22, 2004
Best Regency I've read all year!

I read this author's first book, loved it, and had very high expectations for her second. When I read that this story got a 4 1/2 stars TOP PICK in RT BookClub Magazine, I ordered it right away. I am glad I did.

Like the first book, this story is hotter than the average Regency, but the love scenes that are included are handled very tastefully. I would not be surprised if this author goes on to write historical romances because that is how this book read to me.

I always hate when reviewers include a spoiler, so I won't tell you what about this story made me cry and later cry again but with joyful tears. I will say that it was very moving.

If you want a Regency romance where they hero and heroine shake hands at the end, then this story might not be for you. If you love stories with depth, where the hero and heroine grab your heartstrings and pull, then you will love this story too. I certainly did.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Sweetheart of a Read!, September 26, 2004
M. Rondeau (West Springfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Setting - Wiltshire, England 1814 --- Hanging on for all he was worth, Nicholas Huntington traveled home to see his ailing father, praying that he only stay conscious from the injuries he'd received in the war long enough to get there. Prayers answered, arriving home, he then promptly blacked out. The next thing he saw, and felt, were gentle hands exploring his body that were attached to what appeared to be a very young girl with huge gray eyes.

Plain Charlotte Kittridge, because of her tiny form appeared much younger, but at seven and twenty resolved herself to be firmly on the shelf, until this very handsome soldier, son of the ailing duke, stirred up feelings she'd long thought were dead and buried. Being the daughter of the most talented and esteemed physician in Europe, she had dedicated herself to being his nurse and helpmate, but now, with her sensually reawakened, she couldn't help dreaming of a different life that included Nicolas. Later discovering that Nicolas had made a vow to never marry, she savored the one kiss he'd given her when he came out of a delirious fever. When he confessed a shameful secret to her, she insinuated herself into his life determined to help him overcome his greatest shame. Later when he proposed a marriage in name only, with the stipulation of a one night consummation to make it legal, she realized that while she really only wanted Nicolas' love, she'd agree to anything for the one chance to love him for real, and maybe, just maybe, he might want more.

In this very lovely romance, this newer author reveals some superb characterizations of people dealing with serious (dyslexia) issues as well as gently inserting some very nice sensuality that is generally not found in the traditional short regency novel. The numerous secondary characters were delightful and I particularly enjoyed the two older (80ish) dowagers vying for the cleric's attention! Not only was I impressed with her debut A SECRET PASSION but also have truly enjoyed this entry showing an author who does her research as well as coming up with an original storyline. Bottom Line - This is a warm, romantically sensual sweetheart of a read - I loved it! ---- Marilyn Rondeau, for [...] ---

5.0 out of 5 stars warm, romantic and very engrossing, August 24, 2004
tregatt (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
I'll confess: I probably numbered amongst the very few who didn't think that Sophia Nash's first Regency ("A Secret Passion") was anything out of the ordinary. On the other hand, "A Passionate Endeavor" really is something special. Beautifully written and with engaging and taking characters, "A Passionate Endeavor" would rank as a keeper on anyone's romance shelf!

Charlotte Knight had quite resigned herself to her fate as being firmly on the shelf; and fortunately for her, she had her work as her father's (a physician) assistant to fill her days and energies. That is until she met the eldest son of her father's latest patient, Lord Nicholas Huntington. Home from the wars, and badly wounded in the leg, Lord Nicholas is every young lady's dream come true: kind, courteous, intelligent and quite good looking. Except that Lord Nicholas has sworn never to marry -- not that so eligible gentleman would ever look at her and think of marriage anyway! And then there is the dark mood that seems to haunt and torment Lord Nicholas, as well as his family's strange behaviour... Can Charlotte help Lord Nicholas with his troubles, and in so doing win his heart and esteem? And will he let her?

"A Passionate Endeavor" is, I think, Sophia Nash's homage to Jane Austen. And what a homage it is too. Using quotes from Austen's novels and letters to head each chapter, Ms Nash sets the mood and tone. I thoroughly enjoyed "A Passionate Endeavor." It had everything from an intelligent and courageous heroine to a noble honourable and tormented, who comes complete with a cold and snobbish stepmother, a spoilt younger half-brother; a simple but affecting story, and a nice prose style. It was a good and satisfying read. Except that (and this is just me being nit-picky) I really couldn't understand the behaviour of Lord Nicholas' father's, the ailing Duke of Cavendish, doltish behaviour. How could a loving and intelligent man have allowed his cold and autocratic second wife to treat his son and daughter so? And how could he think that waiting around for Lord Nicholas to decide to stop being so high minded and self sacrificing and do the right thing, was a good idea? Did he never consider the fact that things may not go as he had hopes? Like, the fact that Lord Nicholas could have carried on being self sacrificing to the very end? However, aside from the duke's bizarre behaviour, I found "A Passionate Endeavor" to be and engrossing, touching and romantic read and well worth buying, reading and keeping.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a re-read, August 26, 2004
I tend to base my reviews on whether I feel, after reading, that I'll want to read a book over again some day - in other words, that it's a keeper. And even though this book is well-written for the most part and I can't find any fault in the characterizations or the plot (though the heroine was just SO sweet & good, and I did feel the plot dragged on a bit), it's just not good enough to rate "keeper" status.

I think the 3 star rating is a fair one, considering that the book just didn't take off for me, but that's not to say it might not do that for you. Everyone has their own criteria for "keepers" or "re-reads" or whatever you want to call them...but this wasn't one for me. A pleasantly-written read, but not a great one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pull out your hanky--for wiping your brow & dabbing tears, September 2, 2004
Nancy Wickham "Nancy" (Big Old Hurricane Target, FL) - See all my reviews
What a delightful treat! I found a regency with the depth and emotional power of a larger novel.

I was really surprised because shorter regency books rarely have the length needed to involve me so fully that I really care about the people in it. Especially not enough to profoundly touch me. This one did (OK, I cried. I admit it!)

I was also pleasantly surprised by the heat of this story. Again, this is something I haven't seen in many regencies but I really enjoyed it.

I recommend this book with five stars. This regency is a stand out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Passion? Check. Romance? Semi-check., August 13, 2004
Lord Huntington is on his way home from war with a very nasty leg wound. He needs to see a doctor, but all he gets is a willful young girl named Charlotte Kittridge, the doctor's daughter. Charlotte gets the job done, and she surprises him (and helps him) on numerous occasions. One of those suprises is her age. He thought she was a mere fifteen, but she's really seven and twenty--a confirmed spinster.

Charlotte, a fan of those romantic novels written by "A Lady", has no hopes of a romance for herself. And even though Lord Huntington's station is far above her own, his kisses make her hopeful. She knows she is no beauty... certainly not to Lord Huntington, who, even with his wounded leg, is seemingly perfect.

But Lord Huntingon has a secret. He may be the heir to a dukedom, but the poor man cannot read. Charlotte is determined to teach him. Willful Miss Kittridge quickly becomes the most fascinating woman of his acquaintance.

Having not read Sophia Nash's last novel, I cannot really compare the two. She has been hailed as a promising new talent. Still, I can't say I was blown away. The main characters were the strongpoint of the novel. However, I don't expect to remember anything about the secondary characters next week. Considering this novel has a few "racy" moments, I thought it was inappropriate (and misleading) to start each chapter with a Jane Austen quote.

"A Passionate Endeavor" might be your bag... but not if you're looking for a charming, witty, Austen-esque story. I bought this book on a recommendation. Frankly, I was a little disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing breath of clean air!, October 9, 2012
This review is from: A Passionate Endeavor (Kindle Edition)
A Passionate Endeavor is a refreshing breath of clean air from many other Regency romance novels. The characters, while loveable, are also flawed by real-world issues that readers can relate to. In addition, unlike many Regency era romances I've read lately, they do not jump into bed together at the slightest provocation, and when they do (eventually) make it to bed, it is written sensually and tactfully. The supporting characters are brilliant, you'll love some and hate others with equal fervour. Sophia Nash writes in a very Austen-esque fashion in this novel, and their is truly something of Darcy in Nicholas, our hero. Overall, a fabulous read, that I would strongly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautifully Written Serious Regency Romance, August 31, 2012
This review is from: A Passionate Endeavor (Kindle Edition)
This is a truly divine Regency romance. The author has created a less than perfect hero who suffers from what we now call dyslexia. As a duke's first son and heir, he has had to listen to taunts from his stepmother and younger half brother, as well as hide his reading disability from those he serves with in the 95th Riflemen in England's war against Napoleon. He fears marriage and begetting children that might be born with the same condition, thus, he has agreed to let his younger half-brother have control of the running of their sickly father's estates. He is attracted to the half-French daughter of the doctor who is treating his father's consumption, but fights his attraction because of promises made to his family, as well as their differences in station. However, the heroine helps him to overcome his physical injuries and begins trying to help him to learn to read. She is in love with him but knows his family would never accept her with her family's reduced financial circumstances, even if she revealed the fact that she had an aristocratic mother and grandparents that died during the terror in France.

Sophia Nash handles her characters, and their less than ideal circumstances, with such compassion and delicate passion that she produces a deeply moving read that deals with both the physical and mental limitations we face as members of the human race. I commend her delicate handling of the subject matter of dyslexia, as well as the mental sufferings of combat and being present when one's family members were gillotined. While it is not your typical light and frothy Regency, it is a must read for anyone who loves a story of triump over life's trajedies. Bravo!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›