Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

67%
33%
Format: PaperbackChange

on October 6, 2013
Absolutely packed full of great info on C# 5.0. My copy of this book is now filled with notes on most pages as it was full of information I wanted to retain forever. If you are really a die hard wanting to learn every detail of C# then this is a great place to turn for a large piece of your journey. No one book could give you everything, which is why I also bought the expert C# 5.0 book, but of the two, this one was my favorite to study and I think the writing style of the author contributed to that. On the job, however, I've been able to reference both this book and the expert one to find the little facts I was trying to remember at the moment. Definitely worth it.
on March 20, 2013
I've been writing C# for over 10 years, and had no need for this book. But I've been urging a friend of mine to learn C#. So when I saw the eBook as Apress's Deal-of-the-Day for $10, I bought it and sent it to him.

I kept the eBook just long enough to glance at it myself. And was aghast at what I saw. I then had to write an apology to my friend, as follows...

What a mess of a book!

I can't fathom why they present what they do in the order that they do it.

I was hoping for a reasonable introduction to the language and some of the most-often-used classes (especially GUI-related). And then get on to the more advanced features.

Instead it leaps all over the place, language-wise, and often places what I consider to be semi-advanced features ahead of ones you need to use every day.

As for GUI classes, don't get me started. Which is fair, because the book doesn't get started either!

I'd absolutely hate to have to learn C# from this book. Hey, the title says it's a "Guide". Guides don't jump around like a drunken kangaroo!

(One of the few things in its favor is that it does seem to be accurate, though.)

Anyway, feel absolutely free to ignore this book. If you ever do get around to C#, you may find this useful as a reference book. But not otherwise.

Oh well, I tried. At least this mistake only cost $10.
11 comment3 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2013
If you are just learning C# or want to keep up with the language as it evolves, this is, I believe, one of the better reference books with complete language coverage.
0Comment0 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse