5.0 out of 5 stars A Goldmine of Information, October 16, 2010
This review is from: A Question and Answer Guide to Astronomy (Paperback)
A semester length introduction to astronomy class would be hard pressed to match the breadth and depth of this book. Even with the wide range of information covered, the authors do not skimp on the technical details. If the term "technical details" causes your heart to palpitate with fear or conversely causes your eyes to glaze over, do not hesitate to delve into this book. The authors use a deft hand to guide the reader through the "technical details" of astronomy. They exhibit great skill in explaining sometimes difficult topics without dumbing anything down all the while maintaining the readers interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars an amazing book of questions and answers., May 11, 2011
This review is from: A Question and Answer Guide to Astronomy (Paperback)
When I pick this book up at Barnes & Nobles, I was not expecting much beyond a standard Q and A to astronomy.

I could not have been more wrong. This book is a detailed treasure trove of information for the beginner. Not only does it cover the planets, stars, and meteors, but it goes to great lengths to explain the basic facets of cosmology, the history of astronomy, and astrobiology. It even provides an excellent guide to telescopes and amateur astronomy. Along with wonderful explanations of everything from black holes to the Drake Equation, the reader will delight in the excellent pictures.

I could not recommend this book more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anything you want to know, but were afraid to ask....about Astronomy, August 23, 2013
This review is from: A Question and Answer Guide to Astronomy (Paperback)
This is a great guide. I direct a planetarium and sometimes, I have to have a quick refresher about a topic. Well organized with references back to questions answered that are relevant to the current question being answered. Great reference work!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating guide to Astronomy for quick relief and enlightment, March 24, 2014
A. Stuparich (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Question and Answer Guide to Astronomy (Paperback)
I received this book as a gift and although I am an Astronomy aficionado, quickly put it aside for quite some time.

Until it landed in the magazine basket by the toilet room. Now, instead of reading a fragment of an article from an old National Geographic I can learn a fascinating fact about the Universe!

If the sea's tide is mainly caused by the attraction of the Moon, why is there a simultaneous high tide on the opposite side of Earth, facing away from the Moon? You can find out by reading Q&A #107 in the same time it takes you to unload a dump.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 16, 2013
This review is from: A Question and Answer Guide to Astronomy (Paperback)
This book was perfect for my son who continues to ask me questions that I cannot answer. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, January 23, 2013
This review is from: A Question and Answer Guide to Astronomy (Paperback)
The book was required for an astronomy course I took, and it was very helpful in explaining the basics and even a little further than we discussed in class. A very interesting read, even if I wasn't already fascinated by astronomy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A kindle disservice, June 11, 2010
vivere (Detroit Metro, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Amazon has done a disservice to those of us that bought this book to see the colorful illustrations in the iPad and iPhone. All color has been stripped.
Many figures rely on color differentiation to describe and explain the content. The color should have been retained, since now the kindle books can be read on many devices, including computers, that provide color. Otherwise, the book description in amazon should provide a disclaimer.
I do have another kindle book that I can read in color on the phone, PC and iPad, so it is not a rule that all kindle books are intrinsically black and white.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 2, 2014
An excellent book for the common reader.

A Question and Answer Guide to Astronomy
A Question and Answer Guide to Astronomy by Pierre-Yves Bely (Paperback - April 30, 2010)
$34.99 $21.58