Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoors Gift Guide on bgg
Customer Discussions > A Reliable Wife forum

A Reliable Wife Discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 15, 2010 8:50:56 AM PDT
The price of secrets: It's amazing, how much pain, death, and destruction could have been avoided had Ralph ever mentioned to Catherine Fisk & Maloy's letter. Had Catherine known Ralph new about her past, knew about her relationship with Antonio, knew about why she was trying to poison him, she would never have taken the arsenic so far (if at all), Antonio would never have come to Wisconsin, and he never would've died.

If Catherine had come clean with Antonio about his false memory of Amelia's death, maybe he would've left sooner or at least begun to heal a bit more.

On a side note, I have to say that I don't get Alice. Why would she hate herself so much? Was it because she hated that Catherine had to whore herself to give Alice a normal life?

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 3:07:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2010 3:08:34 PM PDT
Janeey says:
Regarding Alice, she didn't exactly have a normal life. Catherine tried to give her an education and money, but she also exposed her to the life. The novel says that Catherine found her in bed with the man who was keeping her, and although she was appalled, she was not surprised by it. On some level, she knew that it would happen. This shows that although Catherine loved her sister, and tried very hard to make a good life for her, she was not able to give Alice something a child desperately needs - a good example and protection. She substituted money and school for those things with disastrous results. Although Alice knows that Catherine tried with her, she really seems to hate her - possibly because she exposed Alice to a life of prostitution at a young age, and Alice lacked the intelligence to navigate the world of the courtesan like Catherine. Without Catherine's intelligence and drive, what other way was there for Alice to end up?

Posted on Apr 21, 2010 11:47:32 AM PDT
If you hate your sister's life, following in her foot steps and then taking it down from "courtesan" to street-side BJs is a weird way to show it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2011 12:38:51 PM PST
B. Ramos says:
I don't even think that was the part that hurt Catherine. If that was just it, she could have easily got her sister out of the life when she married Ralph. It is more of the fact that Alice has this hatred towards her sister that angered me throughout the book. Alice did not seem to be in harm's way and she was an ungrateful brat. Catherine did not abuse her sister and tried her best with her but for Alice to walk the streets and say she hated her was unbelievable. Here is this woman who had been like her mother, sacrificed herself for her, raised her the only way she knew how and Alice is an ungrateful brat.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011 7:34:40 AM PST
The hatred was guilt and the guilt oddly enough resulted in an ironic twist for Alice's life. She felt guilty that Catherine had to sell herself to give Alice a good life and she turned the self-hatred outwards...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2011 5:53:37 PM PST
B. Ramos says:
That's how I kind of see it as well, like Alice felt the guilt because Catherine had to sell herself to take care of her and with that it turned to hatred towards herself and her sister. The thing is that hatred didn't just affect the two women but in a way I kept feeling that Alice was numb towards it. Like there was so much hatred, guilt and anger that it exhausted her mind and she just became numb towards life, traveling, not caring if she was hurt or who she hurt.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  A Reliable Wife forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Apr 15, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about