Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Rock 'n' Roll Christmas
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 15, 2001
I bought this collection initially to get the '80s new wave classic Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses. I was pleasantly surprised that this relatively inexpensive holiday set had quite a few other treasures on it as well, especially the efforts by the Brits like the classical sounding I Believe In Father Christmas by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, the punkish Father Christmas (Santa gets beat up!) by The Kinks, and a modern What Child Is This by the Moody Blues. The leadoff track Step Into Christmas by Elton John is a delight, but it has been available on several compilations for years so it wasn't a big deal to get it here as well. There are a few duds enclosed, most notably an unrecognizable Bob Seger on the noisy Sock It To Me Santa, but for what you're paying, this is a great deal.
"Rock N' Roll Christmas" is not a bad little collection given the asking price for these eleven songs. As soon as you look over the play list you realize that these are almost all original songs, with The Moody Blues simple version "What Child Is This?" and Elvin Bishop's cover of "Silent Night" as the exceptions. For me the one must have track is "I Believe in Father Christmas" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, which is my all time in this particular crossbred category. But Elton John's "Step into Christmas" is another classic well worth the having, and Jon Bon Jovi's "I Wish Everyday Could Be Like Christmas" is almost as good. Beyond that the question is how much tolerance you have for Christmas songs with a rock beat, because that is what you get from Bob Seger, George Thorogood, Chuck Berry, and most of the rest of this crew. The final endorsement I can give for this collection is that except for the ELP song none of the other ten tracks duplicates what I already have in my Christmas music library, which I would have said was rather difficult to do. There is a second volume following this one, but the original is at least a full star better.
on December 21, 2001
Okay, growing up in Atlanta, GA in the 1980's afforded one the opportunity to hear some really cool Christmas tunes on AOR stations. I picked this one mainly for the ELP track "I Believe In Father Christmas" (which is different from the recording that 96 Rock always plays...their version is credited only to Greg Lake and doesn't include the choral arrangement that is found on this CD's version), which I still love even though these days I'm nowhere near as cynical I was when I first heard it.
But the truth is there are a lot of fun tunes on here...Billy Squier will always be relevant for a few weeks each year when you crank up "Christmas Is The Time To Say 'I Love You'" (remember seeing the video for this? Shot in the original MTV studios, it was...tres festive, mes amis). And Chuck Berry's version of "Merry Christmas Baby" beats Elvis Presley's, I'm sorry to say...though it does have something of a hangover groove to it. The Kinks' "Father Christmas" is both serious and silly at the same time (much like the 80's, though I believe it was recorded a lot earlier), and "Christmas Wrappin'" by The Waitresses gets a little easier to hear everytime I listen to it.
On the other hand, listening to Bob Seger's poor man's Mitch Ryder/James Brown imitation on "Sock It To Me, Santa" can be a bit of a chore (why couldn't they have put a JB tune on here for the element of realism needed?), and George Thorogood & The Deleware Destroyers "Rock & Roll Christmas" (the video for which was also shot at MTV) isn't exactly "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer". The Bon Jovi track I could do without, but then I haven't liked much they've done since "Runaway"...and Elvin Bishop's disco verson of "Silent Night"...well, do I even need to say anything further?
The price makes this CD a must if you remember at least one of these tunes...buying it with the "Volume 2" CD is recommended, as that compilation includes Bryan Adams' "(There's Something About) Christmas Time" (maybe my 4th-favorite contemporary Christmas tune of all time) and Bob & Doug's excellent beer-saturated version of "The 12 Days of Christmas".
Merry Christmas!
on January 18, 2002
The best thing about this CD is the diversity of the artists---some really rock like Billy Squire's "Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You", to the mellow "What Child is This" by the Moody Blues (my favorite),"Wrapping" by the Waitresses plus Elton John's "Step Into Christmas". It's nice to hear these instead of the standard Christmas songs for a change. Sometimes it's even hard to get your local radio stations to play these. Overall, this has a sort of late 80's or early 90's feel to the songs and if your'e tired of all the "traditional" Holiday songs, this collection one of the best!
on December 29, 2013
I so wish MTV had LASTED more than about 3 years before they started playing "variety" and then turned into game shows and really, really stupid reality television. Yoohoo, MTV, YOU'VE LOST THE THREAD!!! But I can recapture the magic with this cd. I LOVE BILLY SQUIER'S Christmas song! I also love Father Christmas by ELP and by the Kinks. If you loved the real MTV, you can have a little bit of it back with this cd.
on December 11, 2015
Worth the price just for 'Christmas Wrapping', one of my favorite holiday tunes of the last 30 years. Elton John is a nice addition, as well as Ermerson, Lake and Palmer and Chuck Berry too. Would buy it again.
on November 4, 2001
I have found many other CDs that have a better collection of Rock Christmas songs than this one.
There are two songs on this CD that I wanted in my holiday collection: "Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You" and "I Believe in Father Christmas."
When I listened to it, the version of "I Believe in Father Christmas" is not the ORIGINAL by Emerson Lake and Palmer I was accustomed to hearing on the oldies stations during the holiday season. It is also not the same version that I have on a CD single that seems to be very difficult to find from the mid-1990s. Did they remake it when this CD was released?
Be prepared when listening to this CD, this version is not what you used to hear back in the "old days."
on December 31, 2013
This CD starts out with the Elton John holiday standard Step Into Christmas. Other artists featured here include Jon Bon Jovi, Bob Seger, ELP, The Waitresses, Billy Squier and The Kinks. Other artists include The Moody Blues with What Child is This and Chuck Berry with Merry Christmas Baby. There's something here to please every Rock 'n Roll Christmas fan.
on November 27, 2003
This CD is great to purchase as an "add-on" to your XMAS collection.
You'll find the track "Father Christmas" from the progressive rock act ELP. That track played on most TOP 40 radio stations during the mid 1970s. Also included on this collection is the uptempto ELTON JOHN classic "STEP INTO CHRISTMAS" (another favorite with top 40 radio in the mid 1970s).
If you want a XMAS collection to play that will cut into the classics from previous years, I suggest that you try this CD.
on January 23, 2015
My favorite Christmas CD! This is a re-purchase, as sadly, my original CD was accidentally damaged. I purchased a second one for my self and another for my daughter, as this is the music we wrap presents, bake cookies and decorate the tree to.