Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 26, 2005
I found this book while doing some Amazon searches for Navy material. I came across this book and for a few weeks didn't order it, then once I did WOW!!I wish I wouldn't have waited. I have been in the Navy for 14 years now and love being a Sailor although lately have wished I could be doing more during this challenging time. This book gives the best defination of The Navy's core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment it helped me to realize that even during war-time,even the little things done are important and needed, and that standing up for what you belive in even when you are the minority represent honor, courage, and commitment. This book was not only informative but it was done in an entertaining way. I have even bought 2 more to give to my Chief and Master Chief who I know will be able to appreciate this great book!!
on December 17, 2012
This is an exceptional and special book about sailors at the deck plate level. I am a retired Senior Chief and I recall as a Seaman Recruit going through "Boot Camp" at Great Lakes in Camp Moffett in the late fifties. In our full sea bag of uniforms we also received the "Blue Jackets Manual." This was so to speak our bible of Navy sayings, acronyms, shipboard, as well as, ashore information that every sailor had to know. Over the years you were a "Salt" so you were very familiar with things of the Navy. A Sailor's History of the U. S. Navy takes it a bit further by providing examples of the core values: honor, courage and commitment. The book goes a long way toward helping all sailors know and appreciate their naval history and heritage in a personal way. Yes, this book has been added to the sea bag! It is now required reading! It would have been great if it had been in my sea bag when I went through "Boot Camp" but it is great to see how the U.S. Navy has evolved over the years. I still believe that our Navy is the best in the world! I invite all to read this book if they want to learn more about our Navy and the sailors who serve in it. To the author I extend my deep appreciation and thanks for penning an outstanding book! As they say in the Navy, "Bravo Zulu" for a job well done! May God bless all who go to sea. Having been there and done that I can say it is not easy but sailors on the seven seas and all over the world would not have it any other way!
on January 22, 2014
In each account of a battle or major event in the history of the Navy, Cutler generally tells it from the viewpoint of a particular sailor. As the historical facts unfold and a battle looms, you can feel the sweat and fear and courage of that sailor. It's almost as if you're in his place facing possible death. It is obvious that Cutler is a dedicated and loyal US Navy man, but he is not above giving our adversaries credit where credit is due. By not sugarcoating our defeats, it makes our victories that much sweeter.

One of my favorite stories is of the destroyer USS Johnston when it took on a task force of Japanese battleships, cruisers, destroyers, and aircraft carriers single handedly. Cutler describes the battle blow by blow for several excitement-filled pages. Eventually, after doing considerable damage to the Japanese ships the Johnston succumbed to the withering firepower of the superior Japanese force and began to sink. The American survivors then witnessed something they would never forget.

"There on the bridge wing of the Japanese destroyer, an officer stood watching as Johnston, his mortal enemy of just moments before, slipped beneath the waves. As the noble ship went down, this Japanese officer lifted a hand to the visor of his cap and stood motionless for a moment . . . saluting."

I served in the US Navy from 1960 to 1972. I learned much about the long history of the Navy that I didn't know before and I enjoyed reliving those events that happened during my service.

This is a book you'll enjoy reading more than once.
on June 10, 2014
A great suprise with this book. It give a over all view of the history of the Navy and includes first accounts of some of the Navel battles that the Navy fought. Thomas J. Cutler includes battles up to present day. He includes the sad accounts with some funny things that happens on ships. He give you the names of the ships and how they got their names. I learned a lot of information I didn't know about the Navy. I would gift this book to any sailor. I never understood "battle streamers" or what the stars meant on them. Mr. Cutler includes the streamers and the meaning of the stars at the end of the book. I really enjoyed reading this book.
on March 23, 2009
It was a fun to read history book that doesn't plod its way through history chronologically. Culter did a great job teaching history while telling stories. These stories from give a basis of traditions and relay core values. He uses Navy jargon in way that teaches the reader how to relate to the unique language spoken by sailors.

A great primer on US Navy history that is a very easy read and doesn't get bogged down in details. Core values are relayed in a way that make you proud to be associated with the US Navy.
on March 10, 2014
I'M SURE A LOT OF RESEARCH WENT INTO THE BOOK. I'M RETIRED HAVING SERVED TWENTY TWO YEARS, SO I KNOW A LOT ABOUT BEING A SAILOR. THIS IS A GIFT SO THE LACK OF PICTURES DEPICTING A SAILORS LIFE AND HISTORY KIND OF DETRACTS.
on January 7, 2014
I bought the book for my dad who is retired Navy. He really enjoyed the book because it brought back a lot of memories of his 30 years of service in the Navy. He also told me that it also helped him understand some of the things that he had observed personally while in the navy. It was really interesting for me as I never served in the navy.
on September 6, 2013
As a Sailor and a lover of history, this book is priceless and clearly a labor of love for the author. I would like to purchase copies for the Navy vets in my family. Highly recommended for anyone who has ever served in the U.S. Navy and for anyone who enjoys well written military history.
on December 21, 2014
This is essentially a love letter to the sailors, past and present, who have selflessly served our nation. It is a well written and highly entertaining guide to the United States Navy and its proud historical traditions.
on September 16, 2012
Book arrived is a very short time and was in very good condition. Contained very
interesting informatiion related to the history of the Navy and ships during different
battles, as well as the committment a young man or woman goes trhough to serve their country.