Published on March 29, 2012 by Vampwriter

1.0 out of 5 stars I think I enjoyed my root canal better
I'm sorry, but this story was completely horrible. I don't know that I've ever read anything as difficult and annoying to trudge through as this book.

Published on April 24, 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be Manditory Reading in a "Relationships Class/Sex Ed.", March 29, 2012
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)
Both a great story and cautionary tale about how men should treat young ladies and the damage that lies and misunderstangings can do to individuals in relationships; it also cautions about overbearing parential involvement. This story needs to be incorporated into every "Sex Ed. Class" (which should be far more than an anatomical study of male and female organs and their use). Least you think it a psychology 101 text, it isn't...the characters are well developed, as are the descriptions of important real estate, and the furnishings that make a house, a home. All the details add to the effectiveness of the story. This story is worth every bit of FIVE STARS, IMHO!

1.0 out of 5 stars I think I enjoyed my root canal better, April 24, 2012
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)

Alexandra, the heroine of the story, is a vengeful whiney brat throughout the book. Her husband divorced her because he wanted to be with the woman he was having an affair with instead. In order to obtain the divorce he had to prove Alexandra was an adultress. This totally ruins her reputation, and she is bent on getting back at him by writing a tell all book.

Connor, the hero of the story, is a womanizing rake about town. He makes a bet with his best friend he can get Alexandra to sleep with him. Connor had been in love once before, but the woman he thought he would marry ended up marrying his former best friend. I say former best friend because Connor ends up sleeping with his friend's fiance and getting caught. Connor is a big winner, I say sarcastically.

Alexandra's father is a big control freak. He doesn't care about his daughter except for what she can do for him. What he wants from her is an heir to his banking fortune. He meets Connor and makes him an offer of major money if he will marry Alexandra and get her pregnant.

Alexandra is cold and unlikeable as a heroine. She never thaws. Not one time did she ever become a sympathetic character I could relate to at all. It was also extremely tiring and nerve grating annoying how often the author would mention the book Alexandra was writing. I can't tell you how many times "Hester's Revenge" was mentioned. I stopped counting after my eyes glazed over in boredom. The author made so many references to "The Scarlet Letter" that it was just pathetic. This book was in no way anywhere near the caliber of that classic, and it was insulting she even tried.

I'm deleting this awful book from my Kindle. It was so bad I couldn't even finish it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad story, has some issues. Some spoliers!!!!!!!!, July 20, 2014
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)
Not a bad story. Yes, the words Hester's Revenge was too repetitive and the trust, well , you could see why if you read the story. I would of liked a finale with her over bearing Father, he could of been put in his place, and Connor's sister, her fate? Her coming out into society could of been completed,son or daughter for the couple, and if I'm not mistaken, Connor is only 21 or 22? How much of a rake can he be and was a normal for a 21 yo to run a Plantation, and for his friend to be a lawyer at the same age? I don't know, maybe I missed something in the down loaded version. I know the property was saved, but what about after that ? Did the crops get better in the following years so they wouldn't risk losing their home again? As for Lizzie, who the heck would have their husband's ex lover over for tea, social or not? Like I said, it's not bad and has a good plot, I just feel a complete finale wasn't given or at least an epilogue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite scarlet, September 26, 2012
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)
First and foremost the book was so predictable. About the only thing that didn't happen to the "bride" was losing a baby (wait, do I read sequel??) The story was a quick ok read, but seriously, everyone owned Black Stallions? The author really needs to understand that most breeders have one, maybe two stallions....the way this was written all he owned is stallions, why would he only have stallions?? Where were the mares and then suddenly he has mares, where did they come from?. They would have made geldings out of the inferior males. Stallions are mean and nasty and do not make normal riding mounts. One minute he is talking about breeding Thoroughbreds vs. Arabs any yet doesn't say why he wants two totally different breeds, only later his sister is riding a Quarter Horse. Which by the way would not be a great jumper back in that era, they were bred to be small and fast, not what you need for cross country running and jumping over pasture gates. Here it gets even better, the Bride is given a horse, we are made to understand how important this is to her, yet we never hear about this horse again, even in the ending. He could have sent her the horse. She also calls a horse a chestnut bay. No.. you can have a Chestnut or a Bay two completely different colorings. This really bothered me, if someone is going to use something in their story, use the proper terms. I am sure any farmer/rancher would have found mistakes in the field information. Too many things would pop in and pop back out, I found I had to go back several times to make sure I had the right person doing the right thing. Even the ending was predictable. If you want a lightweight, quick read that has a lot of mistakes, this would be the book for you. I think the writer has potential, she just needs to pay more attention and stop trying to hit everything on the checklist, she would be a better writer if she left some off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, February 27, 2014
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the story. I loved the heroine and the hero actually said "I'm sorry" and "I was wrong"! Hoping for a sequel with Suzanne's story. Maybe a little explanation of how far her ex husband and his mistress/wife have fallen would be nice!

As much as I disliked the ex husband, Alexandra's father was a close second. I won't post spoilers, but it really is a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A scarlet letter, December 26, 2013
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)
A true book that takes you back to a time where women were not first class citizens. It seems very correct of the time frame and is a delight to read. You can actually feel the pain of Alexander and Connor. You will find
yourself cheering for this couple as scandal comes a calling once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read!, December 19, 2013
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! The story was great and the characters' relationship was emotional Towards the end I was in tears.at times......loved the ending!.
I definitely will read more of this author's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, March 16, 2013
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)
Easy reading. I liked it . I realized that long ago women did not have a lot of their own thoughts and were seen and not heard. We have come a long way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great western and love story, March 2, 2013
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)
This was a great love story plus a great western. I read her 3 series of books and read this one knowing I would like it too

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, January 14, 2013
This review is from: A Scarlet Bride (Kindle Edition)
This was the best book I have read by Sylvia McDaniel. The story kept me into this book to the point that I couldn't put it down. The characters were very well written and the heroine and hero were so good together. I wish the story had been a little longer, but otherwise I really enjoyed it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›