5.0 out of 5 stars Belongs on every knitter's bookshelf
Barbara Walker outdid her own classic reference book in the "Second Treasury". It's cram-jammed, chock-a-block with patterns that make your fingers itch to get hold of some yarn and let your creativity run wild. Unlike the reader in Arlington, WA, I would never categorize this book as a "professional reference"; it's a must for anyone who likes to knit, from novice to...
Published on June 8, 2002 by JLind555

3.0 out of 5 stars I ended up sending this back. It was hard ...
I ended up sending this back. It was hard to see the stitch patterns in the black and white photos and I don't see myself choosing to browse through this book over others that I own.
Published 2 months ago by Kristin

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The black and white pictures are a plus, June 8, 2008
There is an online archive that is creating color swatches of patterns from these books, which is fine. But today I was able to compare this book with the new Harmony Stitch Guide: Lace and Eyelets, and this one is far superior. The swatches actually show the pattern very clearly in the somewhat more distant view, while modern guides such as Harmony give extreme close-ups that give you no idea what this will look like in a shawl or sweater. Walker's book will never go out of style. The focus is on the pattern and not the pretty yarn. Some people (not me) would prefer their stitches charted, but other than that, this is the classic you want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, February 13, 2008
Bocagial (Washington State) - See all my reviews
I love this book. I recommend it to anyone who wants to expand their knowledge of knitting and design. The only drawback I see is the fact that all the patterns are flat knitted. To use them in the round(circular) you first need to convert them. Not impossible, just an inconvenient. There is a section dedicated to this, with good directions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Investment, December 12, 2010
I know a lot of people harp on about the pictures being black and white but I assure you that it is a positive attribute. They are clean, clear, detailed and adequately sized. I can't count the number of times I've encountered stitch photos that actually distract and discourage me with the horrific choice of yarn and colour. These black and white photos deliver a no-fuss visual punch.

If you're into lace knitting then this is the book for you. It even includes chapters for borders and edgings - a feature not many other stitch dictionaries offer unless you buy a specific border and edging book. Some of these stitches I recognise from patterns I've knitted on Ravelry. But it's nice to have them all in one place.

This is an amazing book, full of interesting and "useable" patterns. Very few of those ugly ones that you might marvel at but never use. A must-have bible for knitters of all skill levels. I can't believe I hadn't bought it sooner. Money well spent, even if you buy it for the lace chapters alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars your go to book of stitches, March 27, 2011
I just love this book. I have the first one, and recently purchased this volume. I am sorry to say though, that I won't be purchasing the third and fourth edition because I have read in the reviews that those are charted and I do not like charts at all. However, with these two books I could knit a different project every week and not reuse the same stitch. I love the fact that she makes comments about weather the patterns are unusually difficult and then points out what to watch for that may trip you up. You can get a good idea also just by scanning through the instructions as to weather you want to tackle it or not. I am always thinking up projects then I go to a book like this to decide what stitches to use. Her intro at the beginning of the volume 2 is especially good. It waxes philosophical about the art of knitting and puts it quite eloquently. The patterns run the gamut of very simple and basic, to elegant. There is something here for every knitter to love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Treasury, August 22, 2009
If Ms Walker had left us only one Treasury, her name would be remembered forever among devotees of the knitting art. But she has left us more! This Treasury is especially valuable for those who enjoy multicolor knitting but would prefer to work with one yarn at a time. The section on cables offers delightful patterns beyond the basic spirals. The chapter on laces "travels" in time and space, to give the ardent knitter patterns from the Victorian era and the Far East. The last chapter offers variations on a buttonhole that can be completed in one row. And think, Ms Walker published her work at a time when knitting was otherwise at an all-time "low" - it was the age of acrylics and boxy, shapeless sweaters in unadorned or barely adorned stockinette.

Truly, this volume should be in every knitter's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Resource for Knitters, February 16, 2009
Like the first book in her series, Barbara Walker has chock-filled this book with beautiful knit stitch patterns utilizing a wide range of techniques. There are rib, color, lace, cable, texture and myriad other stitch pattern types included.

I often refer to this book, along with her others, when I plan to make a project and I want to add some unique design work. She makes the stitch patterns easy to decipher as they are written out line by line. I much prefer this way than reading patterns from charts.

Like her first book in the series, I often look at this book just for enjoyment, relishing in all the beautiful designs that can be created by knitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not for a beginner, September 7, 2011
I bought the first, second and third treasuries of knitting patterns, so I'm going to kind of combine my reviews. The second and third treasuries are definitely for more intermediate/advanced knitters, or at least knitters who have learned to read more complicated/longer patterns. The first treasury is excellent for me, as I've only begun to teach myself lace! However I very much look forward to using the other books to help make my own projects in the future. It's well laid out, good instructions, the pictures are black and white so it's a little difficult to see the images of what fabric looks like.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, December 10, 2009
This is the book you get when you've stuck with knitting long enough to see the possibility of fluency. This is the book you get to reward yourself for other, lighter books foregone. And this is the book you get when you're feeling a little too cocky about your ability to do things with a few sticks and skeins.

I'm looking forward to collecting all the Treasuries, one at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars More great patterns!, December 9, 2006
Laurelnd "Kimsmom" (Bismarck, ND United States) - See all my reviews
Barbara Walker's second book of knitting patterns is a great book for seasoned knitters wanting to design their own creations, and work in both traditional and new patterns. Her explanations are always clear (and if you're confused, she does start each book with an explanation of the abbreviations and the techniques she uses) and each pattern comes with a photo, so you can see clearly what the finished product will look like. As in the first volume, she also neatly subdivides the pattern, so you don't have to look through the entire book to find the kind of pattern you're looking for. This book has more multi-colored patterns than the first edition, but here it falls down a bit as the photos are in black and white, not giving as good an idea of the result. While some of her patterns are suitable for beginners -- as long as they have the basics of knit, purl, and increases and decreases down, most of her patterns are more suited to intermediate or advanced knitters. This is a handy book for those who like to work "outside the box" of purchased patterns, and like all Barbara Walker's books, a great addition to every knitter's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait so long to get this book?!, January 6, 2010
This is an amazing book for those who want to expand their knitting know-how and those who want to start designing their own items.

I just received this book in the mail and I am still busy looking at all the *pretty pictures* and daydreaming about what I can make from this.

I did also get the 3rd edition and I just wanted to say that they are completely different and I am planning on getting the other two in the series!

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara G. Walker (Paperback - January 1, 1970)
Used & New from: $8.84