5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING TOUR DE FORCE!!
Published on January 15, 2001 by middlemoo

3.0 out of 5 stars Surrounded by too many men.
This is Nina in the role of stand-up singer, supported by the arranging talents of imaginative young writers like John Clayton. The orchestrations are lush and encompassing and Nina is in strong voice, yet the textures frequently tend to compete with her voice, occasionally even upstaging and threatening to overwhelm it. As syrupy as were Ray Ellis' arrangements for...
Published on October 3, 2007 by Samuel Chell

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING TOUR DE FORCE!!, January 15, 2001
This review is from: A Single Woman (Audio CD)
Nina Simone's voice is an acquired taste - and granted some people never acquire it. Yet, as much of a stickler as I usually am for things like PITCH, I didn't have any trouble enjoying this album! I found her approach to all of the material very engaging and I was genuinely moved by her renditions of the title track, THE FOLKS WHO LIVE ON THE HILL and PAPA, CAN YOU HEAR ME. The arrangements are all thoughtful and supportive, and I'd have to say that this is a very special CD for me - evocative, challenging, emotionally heart-wrenching and resigned. Nina really TAKES YOU SOMEWHERE - and isn't that what art's about?

5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable!, January 31, 2006
Mar-mar "tau" (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Single Woman (Audio CD)
An untouchable final recording by the High Priestess of Soul. She manages to harness the fear of loneliness and the sagely wisdom of one who has experienced love and will have it again, into a beautiful almost overly produced recording. The title track, "Single Woman" rivals Billie Holiday's "The End of A Love Affair" as one of those prophetic songs that will go on haunting you forever. If you need a good cry, take this CD out, make some tea and sit back. A warning, though, this is for Nina fans. I can't imagine beginning here and coming away as happy as I have. You need to know the arc of her work, though tunes like "Marry Me", "The More I See You", "Just Say I Love Him" will go over well with everyone. If you are a fan, you MUST own this CD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, July 15, 2002
Joshua E. Hinkson Jr. (Mount Vernon, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Single Woman (Audio CD)
Nina Simone's return to recording after a hiatus was truly pleasing with this album. She is one of America's best storytellers. Every song on this album is the song of a troubador and she delivers them that way. Nina has been a loner and seen a thousand faces. All of the joys and pains of her career are totally evident in this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush and So Rich, May 6, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: A Single Woman (Audio CD)
I came across this CD, and wondered if I'd like a '93 recording of Nina as much as I liked her earlier work. Oh, do I. Although she plays piano on only one song, she holds her own with these orchestra-backed songs. Her voice is rich and full, and totally hers. Time has blessed her with an alto as strong and rich as pure cream. She takes the song "Papa, Can You Hear Me"--that's right, from the movie "Yentl"! And she makes it strong and sorrowful as it never was before. Heck. Buy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars moody, doomy, brilliance, September 30, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: A Single Woman (Audio CD)
the greatest diva returns and delivers- dear miss simone keep recording gems such as this we need your genius, please return to the recording studios. delight us and give us the joy of life you GIVE- LONG MAY YOU REIGN! this cd is something else - sublime, all hail to dr simone

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last the complete Elektra recordings are available!, June 17, 2008
Amazon Customer (North London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have lived with the original cd since its 1993 release. It was always a worthy addition to her repertoire, the lush settings remind me of Billie Holliday's Lady in Satin. I love the interpretations of the 3 Rod McKuen songs very mature and insightful. In addition, there are fine reworkings of 2 Simone classics "If I should lose you" and "Just say I love him". I enjoyed the re-working of "Papa can you hear me" from the Yentl film soundtrack; Nina personalised the song to give an insight into her relationship with her own father. Finally, I love the humour of her composition "Marry me" - a great ending to the original recording.
We then come to the 7 cuts tracks that did not make the original CD. 2 tracks "Basball boogie" and "The times they are a changin" are fragments at just under 1 minute each. OK but nothing special. That leaves the remaining 5 cuts - they are fine though her voice can be a little wayward at times. "Long and winding road" and "I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter" would have fitted well on the original CD and match the mood of the original CD. The remaining cuts would not have been congruous with the original CD but are worthy cuts nevertheless. "No woman, no cry" is taken in reggae style with powerful backing vocals and Nina sings with real passion. "Do I move you" is a reworking of the song from Nina Sings the Blues LP, it offers no new insights but must have been fun to perform in the studio. "The times they are a changin'" is followed by Prince's "Sign o' the times" - an observation of life in America in the 1960's and then 1990's. For me it is by far the most powerful cut - it stands as the final great interpretation by this diva. Prince must be very proud of this re-interpretation, its full on Nina and full of her trademark passion.
It seems obvious that there was the makings of a second album which was never followed through since the 2 short cuts and the songs No Woman, Do I move and Sign are different in style and approach to the Single Woman concept.
Just one point, it would have been good if Warners had given the personnel listing for the 7 new unreleased songs together with session recording dates for the entire set.
All in all then the long wait for this complete album has been worth the wait, if you don't have the original CD its a steal and a great price too. For those who have the original CD I would recommend this issue too not only for the seven new tracks but also because the sound has been re-mastered and improved over the original cd. Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this CD, March 6, 2003
This review is from: A Single Woman (Audio CD)
The whole CD is terrific. It is Nina Simone in a later stage of her life. Her voice is still deep but very rich with emotion. It already has 5 stars and it is deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVO TO THE GREAT DIVA MS NINA SIMONE 10 out 10, April 16, 2007
This review is from: A Single Woman (Audio CD)
This cd is truly a tour de force in vocals from DR NINA SIMONE. Unfortunatly when it was released it never received the acolades it truly deserves. The wonderful production and backing matched by the awsome voice that is Ms Simone's and Ms Simones's alone.

One of the true greats to the very last release that she recorded which is this wonderful cd. Please do yourself a favour and enjoy Nina Simone THE HIGHEST PRIESTESS OF SOUL...MAY THE GODS BLESS YOU NINA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ms. Nina Simone, February 18, 2014
This review is from: A Single Woman (Audio CD)
Ms. Simone is one of my favorite ladies of jazz from the 1930's and 1940's. I am so glad to add this album to my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, December 28, 2013
This review is from: A Single Woman (Audio CD)
I've always loved Nina Simone, such an awesome woman, singer and entertainer. I ordered this cd believing I never heard it, and in going through my music collection I found the same cassette. Such a powerful singer and yet can be so gentle in her deliverance of a song.

A Single Woman
A Single Woman by Nina Simone (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies