4.0 out of 5 stars Song from the heart--or the feet
Published on March 6, 2010 by J. Olsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected
After reading the reviews for this movie, I purchased it and I have to say I was disappointed. It had several curse words scattered throughout, which made me cringe as they were not needed in this otherwise clean film. It was a good story, nice happy ending, but this is not something I would keep in my collection.
Published on April 6, 2010 by book-rdr

4.0 out of 5 stars Song from the heart--or the feet, March 6, 2010
J. Olsen (UT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)
Ms. Grant plays Maryann, a woman who lost her sight as a child in a car accident--an accident which also took the lives of her parents. She now teaches the freshman orchestra at a music conservatory. A former student of the conservatory, Gregory Pavan, who has made it big in the music world is coming back to his "musical roots" to make a recording with the students. In the real world I doubt that such a person would choose to work with the freshman orchestra, but that is the story. Initially he is not happy to be working with a blind conductor, but is touched by the feeling of her cello music. As their relationship develops it is observed by her neighbor, Oliver, a widower of two years who has not shared with her how he really feels about her. His daughter takes cello lessons from her and he and Maryann are often in each other's company as neighbors and "best friends".

Gregory finally persuades Maryann to have an operation to try and restore her sight. She has avoided it because she had already had one surgery that had failed. He promised to be there for her and when the bandages would come off she would see the man who loves her.

*SPOILER ALERT*
If you like stories where the quiet, unassuming friend wins over the flashy, flamboyant lover, then this is your kind of movie. The outcome is predictable, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I like "happily ever after". However, there were some little things in the story that were hard to swallow--like the portrayal of the freshman orchestra playing amazingly better by simply moving outside and going barefoot, even though they weren't using the printed music they had been struggling to play from minutes earlier (a technique which works not just once, but twice in this movie). If you have played a string instrument you will know that Amy Grant is not playing the cello, but to her credit, she does a much better job of faking it than Michael Landon ever did with the fiddle on "Little House on the Prairie." And at least Amy Grant really does know how to lead music--her downbeats are spot-on, unlike another recording artist who plays an orchestra leader in another movie.

When I ordered this movie it had nothing but 5 star reviews on Amazon. To me that is a little generous. Maybe my 4 star rating is even a little generous. It is what I consider fun "escape watching" and, as others have mentioned, it is something you can watch without worrying about the content. (After the review was posted with the complaints about the "curse words" I went back when I had a chance and watched it again. There were, from what I could tell, 3 uses of "h***," 2 of the word "d***," and one reference to someone as an "a**," in the sense of someone stupid. All of this comes from the mouth of the "Gregory Pavan" character. I would prefer not to have that language, but I must admit it seems mild for a movie these days. Judge for yourself if it fits your standards or not.)

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY THEY RELEASED THIS MOVIE, January 24, 2010
K. GARDNER (SAN ANTONIO, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)
As a life long fan of Amy Grant, it is about time that they released this sweet tenderhearted movie. If you enjoy shows like Touch By An Angel, The Waltons, etc then you will enjoy this movie as well. Amy does not sing in this movie but her kindess and caring does shine through

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, April 6, 2010
book-rdr (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Look for the DVD that contains the bonus CD--same price today, May 23, 2013
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)
This is a clean, above average, easy to watch movie.

That being said, it is not one I would probably watch more than one or two times.

Unfortunately, I did not realize this DVD was available with a music CD bonus for the SAME price when I purchased my DVD. I would have probably enjoyed the CD and gotten more use out of it than I will the DVD alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting love story, September 26, 2011
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)
I thought this was a vey sweet, uplifting Christian love story. Amy Grant's acting was wonderful and very believeable. It held your interest up until the very end.

5.0 out of 5 stars great movie, September 7, 2011
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)
This was a wonderful movie. I really enjoyed the principle this movie taught. This movie give you one of good feeling when you finish watching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful cello playing with excellent acting and good choices, July 18, 2011
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)
This is a great story with superb acting by Amy Grant and it deals with the difficult choices of one who suffers from a disability. The music is really beautiful throughout and the relationships are kind and perceptive. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Surprise, October 23, 2009
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)
Amy Grant is a blind music teacher and Keith Carridine and his daughter are her neighbors. They are great friends and help each other out. D.W. Moffat is a composer who comes to Amy's school so her school band can perform one of his compositions. Which will she choose?

3.0 out of 5 stars A predictable song perhaps, February 10, 2010
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)
I've always had a lot of time for Amy Grant the singer and was quite interested in this new direction!
The storyline was rather predictable in the way it unfolded and the script wasn't exactly inspirational. However, the film made a good, relaxing non brainer activity after a long day at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good movie, January 14, 2011
This review is from: A Song from the Heart (DVD)
This is another good movie. I havent seen any of Amy Grant's movies before, this is definitely one to get. The whole family can watch this movie also!!

A Song from the Heart
A Song from the Heart by Marcus Cole (DVD - 2009)
$6.99 $3.99