Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon August 18, 2012
Step back to a kindler, gentler time and enjoy three 1950s Liberace shows plus a short tribute to Mardi Gras (complete with spectators in suits and ties, dresses and gloves). This is early Liberace, dashing in white tie and tails, performing pieces from the classics to ragtime, blues to boogie-woogie. When he gazed lovingly into the camera, he seemed to be looking at you alone, and his legions of female fans either swooned over him or wanted to adopt him (I was a swooner).

His piano playing is flawless and dramatic and he was a very good singer, too. The mix of boyish enthusiasm and suave charm made him irresistible and as I watched him again, I felt the years melt away and fell under his spell again. He's just adorable, that's all, and he brought his beautiful music to many who would never be able to attend a concert in person.

On one show, he introduces his mother, sister, and sisters-in-law - and even his dog - but it's all done sweetly and respectfully. This is not the campy Las Vegas clown he became in his later years, but an exceptionally talented and appealing entertainer sharing his love for the piano. Highly recommended for his fans.
55 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2011
I'm a Brit and the first time I heard the name Liberace was on the Chordettes' recording of "Mr. Sandman"(1954): . . . "Give him a lonely heart like Pagliacci, And lots of wavy hair like Liberace." Who's Liberace, I wondered? It took a little while to find out but, when I did, oh, wow!--and he's still as smashing as ever! The smile, the wink, the singing, and the piano-playing are all for me--no, not for you--clear off! There's no visible audience, either. Brilliant.
on July 8, 2010
I am a fan of Liberace. This is one on the best of his DVD, I should know I have most of his DVD. I had to give this one five stars.If you like Liberace, your lie this dvd.
on November 3, 2010
Nice to see the old shows, not contaminated with crude language that only proves the illiteracy of the perpetrators. The music was great as well as the artist.
on November 12, 2012
I and everyone I know who lived in the "old neighborhood" will always miss Liberace! No one else had as much fun playing the piano as he did - and no one else let his audience have so much fun either! I have many/most of Liberace's albums and wish I had them all.
on August 17, 2013
Now I see what my Grandmother Annabel fell in love with. I was only twenty at the time, but as I am now pushing eighty years, have got that same old feeling!!! Carol from Manitowoc
on June 18, 2013
I really like TV shows like this, the music never gets old. Liberace always makes me laugh, never saw anything like this when I was growing up in the 80's. Really have enjoyed watching this collection and recommend it!
on July 11, 2013
It was fascinating to view something from the days where people never even dreamed there would be color television, surround sound, and electronics marvels of that sort.

It is an excellent video for my collection that preserves yesteryear.
on August 23, 2014
This is Liberace's Nostalgia Collection. Three episodes from his popular TV show from the 1950's. Liberace (1919-1987) created his own special style of piano playing that was and still is amazing to watch. Although this is in black and white, it does not detract at all from watching him as his fingers literally fly over the keyboard. He will always be known as Mr. Showmanship. He makes playing the piano look effortless. His family is seen in this DVD. and a special bonus from a New Orleans special is included. Recommended for all piano and music lovers.
Watching this extraordinary pianist's weekly television show in the fifties was always a joy... and this special DVD is a great memory of those times.