Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

I'm one of the many who were obsessed with Christina Perri's "Jay of Hearts" single. I thought it was such a breath of fresh air in the mix of thump-thump-thump Top 40 tracks and I loved the emotion behind the song. Naturally, I was interested in how her voice would sound over an EP of Christmas favorites. Here are my reviews, track-by-track.

01. Something About December - 4/5 - A soulful, lulling song that is beautiful.. but doesn't sound like Christmas. It's not that I only like holly-jolly, but something about the production just doesn't make you think cocoa and maxing out the credit card. Perfect for a candle lit evening at home, however. The best thing about it is that it's not a cover of a song we've all heard a zillion times.

02. Merry Christmas Darling - 5/5 - a beautiful cover, very eased-back production that is relaxing and inspired. One of my favorite tracks.

03. Please Come Home for Christmas - 3/5 - a lightly more energetic number that's orchestrated by a simple drum-snare with sparse jingle bells and guitar. A good background instrumental that let's Christina's voice show through. Not an absolute favorite, but I wouldn't skip it.

04. Ave Maria - 2/5 - this song has been done and overdone so many times that its appeal has been mostly lost for me, yet still certain artists manage to nail it and make it fresh. I don't think Christina did that. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, and meshes well with the album overall, but hardly the best rendition.

05. Happy Xmas (War is Over) - 4/5 - I like this cover. It maintains a live vocals of the 60-70s feel, while offering a modern freshness that works. I don't usually like this song, but I do like it here.

06. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - 4/5 - With a voice like Christina's, you can imagine that it would be hard for her to mess up this great song. Fortunately she did not. It's pitch-perfect and produced with a simple piano instrumental, giving her voice even more room to shine. It won't put Judy Garland's version in the vault, but it will make a wonderful jazzy rendition for your 2012 Christmas mix.

OVERALL: A top-notch Christmas album that is full of great tracks despite having only 6. If you're looking for a Burl Ives-type sound, you've come to the wrong place, but if you are interested in a more new age, candle lights and dim-lit rooms type thing this is perfect. I can imagine listening to this while soaking in the tub with cinnemon bubble bath. It doesn't necessarily make me think of tinsel and snowmen, but there's plenty of that sound already out there, so it's certainly nice to get a fresh take on the classics. I would compare it to last year's A Very She & Him Christmas album in sound, although I think She & Him's album is slightly better.
Christina Perri's new EP has excellent Christmas music; her voice sounds great and I only wish there were more songs here!

"Something About December," a charming song co-written by Christina herself, features her squarely front and center and the music fits in perfectly with her vocals. "Merry Christmas Darling" is a song I first heard sung by Karen Carpenter; and I would like to think that Karen would have loved Christina's rendition of this evergreen classic! Christina sings "Merry Christmas Darling" with all her heart and soul; I really like this ballad. "Please Come Home for Christmas" is beautiful to hear when Christina Perri performs it; this number shines bright in her more than capable hands. "Ave Maria" gets a stunning treatment from Christina who never lets go of a superfluous note; and "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono again features Christina's wonderful voice at its best. The track set ends with "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" which was first sung by Judy Garland in "Meet Me in St. Louis;" Christina handles this like a pro and Judy would have loved it.

This is an excellent EP from Christina Perri that is sure to please her fans; and people who enjoy high quality control holiday music will not be disappointed.
on October 18, 2012
I have been to see Christina in concert, which was the best concert I have ever been too, I have her amazing CD and now have her beautiful Christmas EP. She has hands down one of the best voices and her voice has that perfect Christmas sound. I love her original song too. I just wish this was a full length cd. Can't wait to hear what else she comes out with.
on November 6, 2012
If you're a fan of Christina Perri OR a Christmas music addict, buy this album! It features 5 classic Christmas tunes and 1 Christina Perri original, all of which are beautiful. When my cd arrived, I immediately turned it on for a listen. I surprised myself by listening to it over and over again! Perri's rendition of Ave Maria may be the best I've ever heard. My only complaint is that I wish there were more songs. I'd love a full album of ten to fifteen holiday songs. Hopefully she'll release a bigger collection next year full of songs other than the ones on A Very Merry Perri Christmas (love the album title as well!). Ultimately, this album is a lovely rendition of classics by Perri's unique voice!

Track listing:
Something About December
Happy Xmas War is Over
Ave Maria
Merry Christmas Darling
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Please Come Home for Christmas
on October 16, 2012
I have to admit I'm a huge fan but this is definitely the best Christmas album released! Her voice fits the feeling of Christmas:)
on November 30, 2012
Actually I mean hurry up and use your mouse and order this Christina Perri new Christmas CD. I being a "big fan" of Christina's voice and song attitude ( she is always smiling and seems to be utterly enjoying what she is playing and singing for us ). You will be pleasantly surprised by this 6 - song package.
The new original Perri-Hodges-Perri song " Something About December " is a jewel under your Christmas tree. You have to start playing this song Dec 1st.....it has a "memories to share" feel and now I know why Christina dedicated this CD to her Mom for 25 musical Christmases. A "classic" in my songbook and I will play it again and again in my car and at all the Christmas parties I attend.
The standard fair - other 5 songs, all have the Perri-stamp on them. Her " Merry Christmas Darling" is the best version since Karen Carpenter and her brother sand it way back when. She stayed true to the song and the arrangement is perfect.The " fifties-sound" is evoked in her uptempo, " Please Come Home for Christmas" - and she shows that " soul " punch to this rendition. Now, why did she attempt "Ave Maria" .... I was frightened after being a Joan Sutherland fan and waiting for the " high C " but Christina's put a simple folk feel to this blessed song. Just a acoustic guitar and violin and her down-earthy voice. A "real surprise". The Lennon-Ono " Happy Xmas ( War is Over )is pitch perfect. Just missing the Lennon-echo but the arrangement more than makes up for it. And, finally, " Have Yourself .................." is the star on the top of the tree. Just perfect and so true to the song...( no Rod Stewart runs here ). Just goosebump material.
To end, I'd like to say, I know Christina was smiling while singing these songs - because it sure put a "big smile" in my heart. I will cherish this simple CD for years and Christmases' to come.
on November 15, 2012
A Very Merry Perri Christmas is such a good album, albeit short with only 6 songs. It did not deter me, the song choices are perfect for her tone and voice. The original Perri song is a wonderful addition to this christmassy album. I love her rendition of please come home for christmas, fun and twang-y, bringing in a little country. It's an awesome album and a welcome one in my collection from here on out.
on July 29, 2013
The album is very good. It is a Christmas album. Meaning that it takes previously recorded songs and they are re-done by the artist(with the exception of "something about december"). This has been done before...many times. But, to me anyway, here, Christina (and her brother) do a great job of giving these songs a definite "Perri" flare. It is apparent that Christina is comfortable with simply being herself. The songs are recognizable and yet recognizably Perri.
Now, "something about december" only has one flaw that I can see. It is the only song on the album that was written by Christina, David Hodges, and Nick Perri. This song begins and her singing takes you into the world of happiness, warmth, love, and the joy of a Perri family Christmas. It is really that damn good! I realize these must be difficult to write...but, maybe there is one or two more in them?
on September 30, 2013
Christina Perri has a beautiful voice, and her renditions of a few Christmas songs, including an original one, are superb. I gave this 4 out of 5 due to the brevity of the album. There are only six songs. What's here is wonderful.

I will say that the album was priced accordingly, and I had a $1.00 credit for buying another CD, so it made it a good deal.
on December 4, 2012
My wife really liked Christina Perri's first album, so I got her this for her birthday. I was more than surprised by the quality of the recording and the singing. Perri's voice is surprisingly clear, especially on her "Ave Maria." I even think her cover of Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" could challenge the original in quality. My only real complaint is that it's so short. It could have used another 3-4 songs to fill it out.