4.0 out of 5 stars A great, lulled-back jazzy Christmas album
I'm one of the many who were obsessed with Christina Perri's "Jay of Hearts" single. I thought it was such a breath of fresh air in the mix of thump-thump-thump Top 40 tracks and I loved the emotion behind the song. Naturally, I was interested in how her voice would sound over an EP of Christmas favorites. Here are my reviews, track-by-track.

01. Something...
Published on October 16, 2012 by Tyson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
There are a couple of really nice songs on this CD but overall it's just ok. Christina Perri has a beautiful voice & I wish there had been more songs on the CD (especially originals).
Published on December 28, 2012 by bumblebee

4.0 out of 5 stars A great, lulled-back jazzy Christmas album, October 16, 2012
This review is from: A Very Merry Perri Christmas (Audio CD)

01. Something About December - 4/5 - A soulful, lulling song that is beautiful.. but doesn't sound like Christmas. It's not that I only like holly-jolly, but something about the production just doesn't make you think cocoa and maxing out the credit card. Perfect for a candle lit evening at home, however. The best thing about it is that it's not a cover of a song we've all heard a zillion times.

02. Merry Christmas Darling - 5/5 - a beautiful cover, very eased-back production that is relaxing and inspired. One of my favorite tracks.

03. Please Come Home for Christmas - 3/5 - a lightly more energetic number that's orchestrated by a simple drum-snare with sparse jingle bells and guitar. A good background instrumental that let's Christina's voice show through. Not an absolute favorite, but I wouldn't skip it.

04. Ave Maria - 2/5 - this song has been done and overdone so many times that its appeal has been mostly lost for me, yet still certain artists manage to nail it and make it fresh. I don't think Christina did that. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, and meshes well with the album overall, but hardly the best rendition.

05. Happy Xmas (War is Over) - 4/5 - I like this cover. It maintains a live vocals of the 60-70s feel, while offering a modern freshness that works. I don't usually like this song, but I do like it here.

06. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - 4/5 - With a voice like Christina's, you can imagine that it would be hard for her to mess up this great song. Fortunately she did not. It's pitch-perfect and produced with a simple piano instrumental, giving her voice even more room to shine. It won't put Judy Garland's version in the vault, but it will make a wonderful jazzy rendition for your 2012 Christmas mix.

OVERALL: A top-notch Christmas album that is full of great tracks despite having only 6. If you're looking for a Burl Ives-type sound, you've come to the wrong place, but if you are interested in a more new age, candle lights and dim-lit rooms type thing this is perfect. I can imagine listening to this while soaking in the tub with cinnemon bubble bath. It doesn't necessarily make me think of tinsel and snowmen, but there's plenty of that sound already out there, so it's certainly nice to get a fresh take on the classics. I would compare it to last year's A Very She & Him Christmas album in sound, although I think She & Him's album is slightly better.

5.0 out of 5 stars must have Christmas music, November 4, 2012
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Very Merry Perri Christmas (Audio CD)
Christina Perri's new EP has excellent Christmas music; her voice sounds great and I only wish there were more songs here!

"Something About December," a charming song co-written by Christina herself, features her squarely front and center and the music fits in perfectly with her vocals. "Merry Christmas Darling" is a song I first heard sung by Karen Carpenter; and I would like to think that Karen would have loved Christina's rendition of this evergreen classic! Christina sings "Merry Christmas Darling" with all her heart and soul; I really like this ballad. "Please Come Home for Christmas" is beautiful to hear when Christina Perri performs it; this number shines bright in her more than capable hands. "Ave Maria" gets a stunning treatment from Christina who never lets go of a superfluous note; and "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono again features Christina's wonderful voice at its best. The track set ends with "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" which was first sung by Judy Garland in "Meet Me in St. Louis;" Christina handles this like a pro and Judy would have loved it.

This is an excellent EP from Christina Perri that is sure to please her fans; and people who enjoy high quality control holiday music will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christina Perri Can Do No Wrong!, October 18, 2012
This review is from: A Very Merry Perri Christmas (Audio CD)
I have been to see Christina in concert, which was the best concert I have ever been too, I have her amazing CD and now have her beautiful Christmas EP. She has hands down one of the best voices and her voice has that perfect Christmas sound. I love her original song too. I just wish this was a full length cd. Can't wait to hear what else she comes out with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Wonderful!, October 16, 2012
This review is from: A Very Merry Perri Christmas (Audio CD)
I have to admit I'm a huge fan but this is definitely the best Christmas album released! Her voice fits the feeling of Christmas:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great EP!, November 28, 2012
I love her voice and was ecstatic to buy her Christmas EP. Are all the songs out of this world? No, but her voice is amazing just the same. Great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, November 24, 2012
She is very talented - this is a great holiday album! The price was reasonable as well - can't wait to listen to more of her work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Merry Perri Christmas, November 21, 2012
This review is from: A Very Merry Perri Christmas (Audio CD)
Enjoyed the music, wish there was more songs on the CD. Love her music and waiting for more CD's choices

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Christina Perri, November 15, 2012
This review is from: A Very Merry Perri Christmas (Audio CD)
A Very Merry Perri Christmas is such a good album, albeit short with only 6 songs. It did not deter me, the song choices are perfect for her tone and voice. The original Perri song is a wonderful addition to this christmassy album. I love her rendition of please come home for christmas, fun and twang-y, bringing in a little country. It's an awesome album and a welcome one in my collection from here on out.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Merry Perri Christmas Indeed!, November 6, 2012
This review is from: A Very Merry Perri Christmas (Audio CD)
If you're a fan of Christina Perri OR a Christmas music addict, buy this album! It features 5 classic Christmas tunes and 1 Christina Perri original, all of which are beautiful. When my cd arrived, I immediately turned it on for a listen. I surprised myself by listening to it over and over again! Perri's rendition of Ave Maria may be the best I've ever heard. My only complaint is that I wish there were more songs. I'd love a full album of ten to fifteen holiday songs. Hopefully she'll release a bigger collection next year full of songs other than the ones on A Very Merry Perri Christmas (love the album title as well!). Ultimately, this album is a lovely rendition of classics by Perri's unique voice!

Track listing:
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Please Come Home for Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish there was more..., October 29, 2012
This review is from: A Very Merry Perri Christmas (Audio CD)
I very much enjoy the sound of Christina Perri's voice. It is one of the better ones of the new generation of "pop" artists. Anyways, this Christmas album is worth the purchase for your collection. I got mine at Target and got an added song, Let it Snow (acoustic). I did not like her singing Ave Maria. To me that song is such a powerful song and she is more in the Alto singing range rather than the Soprano which I am used to that song being sung in. It isn't bad by any means, I just don't prefer it.

A Very Merry Perri Christmas
A Very Merry Perri Christmas by Christina Perri (Audio CD - 2012)