Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 2, 2014
The book is funny, brash, unpredictable and literally all over the map with its fun photography. Ms. Midler's act was solidifying the characters and humor that launched her successful concerts for the rest of her career, and this is a fascinating look behind the scenes of her first global tour. She's also a good writer, effective whether she's trying to be funny or reflective. Read this book after seeing her concert films "Divine Madness" and "The Showgirl Must Go On," and it will help you connect the dots between the two. The bonus is having Ms. Midler look back with affection in the new forward she wrote for this re-release.

It takes a lot of guts to put on a hot dog costume and take it across the globe. It takes talent and self-awareness to spin it into a book that still holds up 34 years later. Thanks for sentimental journey, Ms. Midler. It's great to have you sit down in front of the keyboard again.
Have you seen Bette Midler recently? She looks great! Part of the glow might be coming from the release of her updated book. It is witty, funny, sarcastic, down-to-earth and informative. What else would you expect from this multi-talented woman. Fiction is fine for passing the time ... but so is non-fiction when it is presented in a great biography like this one. This is a book which will hold the interest of many readers.
on August 5, 1999
I am a great Bette Midler fan, so this book was top on my list - especilly when its written by Bette, herself. So far Out of all the books on Bette I have enjoyed this one the best - Its so fun and unique. Bette Makes this book full of laughs and funny pictures. Divine. A book every fan must read.
on June 1, 2014
This was an enjoyble view into a certain period of Bette's life. I loved every minute of reading it. Just be sure to know it isn't an auto-biography by any means, it's more a story a tour she took in the beginning of her career. It was fun to read. Also, if you get the ebook you miss out on the pictures, which is what I did.
on September 1, 2014
I have always looooved Bette Midler so I am a little biased as far as reviewing the book. However, a previous reviewer said there was nothing humorous in the book and nothing in it sounded like Bette Midler wrote it. I totally disagree! Throughout the entire book there were little "quips" that sounded exactly like something she would say. I was giggling and chuckling throughout the entire book picturing her in that situation. I loved it and it is now one of my favorites.
on September 9, 2014
A brief documentary look into Bette Midler's 1978 world tour and her musings, thoughts, and reactions.

My Take
Melodramatic and free-wheeling, ridiculous chatter that feels as though you're listening to Midler talking at you. It's crazy and revealing, sad and ditzy, happy and nuts, and too funny for words. Do be sure to read Midler's "Band Application". You'll crack up.

An interesting tidbit about growing up in Hawaii surrounded by all that gorgeous color. It certainly makes sense about Bette, and I'm completely with her on this. Color is too important to ignore!
"Being moral isn't what you do … it's what you mean to do."

Color and black-and-white photographs are scattered throughout the book. Pictures that will make you laugh out loud and others that will pull you in. Midler free associates in her humorous style about each country she visits with comments about the food, the money, going through customs, the audiences, styles, and more.

Midler doesn't spare anyone, including herself. I particularly enjoyed her point about always taking characters on the road with her — masks she can hide behind. Reading her process for how she determined the identities of the characters was a fascinating look behind-the-scenes.

For the most part, the chatter holds together, although there are great lengths that you simply read without worrying about what it means. It's rather scattered at times nor am I always sure what's truth and what's said for the fun of it.

The Characters
You all know Bette Midler. Miss Frann Frank was her prim and proper companion and wardrobe mistress. She mentions her mother and her siblings: Daniel and her twin sisters, Judy and Susan.

The Harlettes are Katie, Franny, and Linda. At least to start.

Vilmos Angst is a determined film director.

Yes, there are more characters, but these were the ones who stood out.

The Cover
The cover is a bright pink with Bette Midler in a mermaid costume, hip cocked, head shyly tilted, and arms raised in a Y-frame as though she’s holding up the Hollywood-lights title. It’s perfect.

The title keeps cracking me up for its literal and humorous interpretation, as this is indeed A View From a Broad.
on September 21, 2014
This is a great little read. It is so funny yet also with some insight and touching moments as well. It really capture the persona of the Divine Miss M with glimpses of her alter ego Bette Midler. I would highly recommend this book. It's such a hoot and again personal and touching as well.
on June 11, 2014
One of the best reads I almost missed so happy she re-released this book & brought my attention to it. I was one of the lucky few who got an autographed copy which made this even better. If you love Bette as much as me you'll buy this book.
on June 20, 2014
I was disappointed in this book. It was not what I expected. That is entirely on me. I assumed the writing would be clever and funny. Ms Midler is just that, however her writing was not witty or interesting at all. Even the texture of the pages were strange. I ended up thumbing through most of the pages to end the pain of my disappointment.
on June 28, 2014
I had bought and read this book over and over when it first came out - and then made the serious mistake of lending it to a friend. I'm happy Miss Midler decided to release it again. I have it in my e-book library now, where NOBODY can take it. Get your own - now!