Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on October 10, 2011
I had to buy this book for my English class this year, and when I first bought it I only thought about how much I could sell it for when the years over. Now that I've read some of it I am NEVER selling it. This book is a bible for anything writing related. It has everything from the absolute have-to-haves like MLA format, to how to make your paper just overall sound better. I'll definitely use this book for the rest of my college experience.
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2012
This is the book you need to help you become a good writer. If you struggle with the subject of English get this book to keep as a reference.
on May 17, 2012
The book itself has a lot of information and is organized in an easy-to-find manner. I bought this for an English 101 class and honestly I didn't need to use it that much besides for MLA style essay papers. I'm keeping it in case I need to use it later when I continue my education to get a Bachelor's Degree.
on November 19, 2012
First book that I have purchased that actually helps with grammar, apa format and making that paper look polished. This book even helps you set up your word processor to get the format right
on October 23, 2013
College is easy when you develop proper research and writing habits. I was out of school for 13 years before I committed to attending college. I thought I was pretty good at writing and researching but ENC 1101/ (English Composition) kicked my arse! I finished the class with a C but never attained higher than a D on ANY of my six papers. The main reason I struggled was because I only learned the 5-paragraph style of writing way back in middle school and that dog don't hunt on a 5-PAGE paper. Cramming college level research and expectations into an eighth grade level writing style is definitely as ridiculous as it sounds.

I bought this book for the ENC 1101 class, however, I never used it during the class. My professor did not require us to read it and I had enough reading to do with my other classes. HOLY COW did I ever miss out!

I recently picked it up on a whim and started reading just 1-2 pages per day over the summer. It tweaked the little nooks and crannies of my grammar and helped me better express my opinions on paper. This book set me free from my five-paragraph prison of mediocrity. I am able to write with better confidence and precision which makes for better papers. My next two writing courses were A's and I have not gotten lower than a B in any of my classes since. I don't get that feeling in my stomach anymore when a paper is expected in my course; I look forward to it.

This book has EVERYTHING in it you need to develop good writing habits: grammar, research and composition help, exhaustive citation examples, help with revisions, and even grammar help for non-English speaking students. This book really ties the room together. ;)
on December 30, 2012
I purchased this book last quarter for an english class that didn't use this book though required. I will be using the book this quarter for another english class. The area's I have used and read which are few seem very helpful in gaining the needed techniques for furthering writing.
on January 1, 2013
I purchased this as required for an upper level writing class a couple semesters ago and sold it after the class ended. I regretted it shortly after. This is an excellent source for APA, MLA, and Chicago Style. Yes, there are websites out there to use, but when writing a paper, it is so handy to be able to quickly flip through this and find exactly what you need in seconds -- with samples, etc. Less fumbling and much more visual and easier to use than websites. The last couple semesters, I checked it out from the university library because it seems the classes bounce between APA, MLA, and Chicago pretty quickly and this covers all. It is getting more difficult to borrow long term and I have 12 classes to go, so I am re-investing in a copy to ensure I always have it on hand. This book will help ensure you don't lose points for silly citation and format errors! Keep it once you order it -- do not sell it back!
on June 14, 2016
I "HAD" to get this for my english class but let me tell you. This book was exceptional when it came to working out complex writing and perfecting essays through structure and depth. I found myself often just flipping through to chapters we hadn't bothered covering because it was just that helpful. I kicked college english's ass and I honestly think it was because of this book and of course my wonderful teacher. I really recommend it even if you just want to get your writing into better shape!
on February 25, 2012
I find this handbook very helpful. Its a great companion for a college student. Its already helped me out a bunch in the MLA section. Love it.
on November 27, 2013
Not what I thought it was, this is an exercise book is to accompany the actual book. So very sad...