Customer Discussions > Dreamin' Man Live '92 forum

"A complete live performance?"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2009 5:20:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2009 8:17:16 PM PST
How can this be a "complete live performance" when the sentence goes on to say, "drawn from various solo acoustic shows he performed in 1992." It's a compilation, not a "complete live performance." A "complete live performance" would be ONE show, warts and all, not a little of this, a little of that. Yes, I'll probably get this, but I'll know it's not a "complete live performance." I love Neil's music, but some of his recent releases have been a bit, well, underwhelming.

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 12:37:16 PM PST
E. Medina says:
It's a "complete live performance of 'Harvest Moon'",not a complete one night concert. There really is no reason to be that upset since the "Live at Sugar Mountain" and "Live at the Riverboat" CDs, for example, are culled from various shows but Neil

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 3:32:09 PM PST
You stopped in mid-sentence...

I went back to read the description of the CD and guess what, it's been changed! I guess these little posts to get some attention. Now it very clearly states that this is a compilation of performances!

Chalk one up for the Old Man!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 6:31:55 PM PST
Anyway, even if the description still gave the impression it was one complete show, I don't know that I'd call it a scam. You can't blame Neil for what was presumably an error on Amazon's part. And what would have been so terrible about it being a compilation instead of one show? It doesn't make sense that Neil would design it a certain way and then try to cover that up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 8:25:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2009 8:32:17 PM PST
I've rephrased my comment and taken "scam" out, because it DOES have negative, fraudulent connotations. However, the last few live Neil Young releases have all been from single performances, and this is part of the "archives" series, and when you say something is a "complete live performance" it seems to indicate that it's all from ONE performance. Amazon's revision, in which it clearly states that this is compiled from various performances, is now more accurate. It's too bad you didn't see the original "product description," which really WAS misleading.

I'm not against live compilations. Tom Petty's recent four-CD Live Anthology made it very clear it was drawn from performances over many years. They did a great job of sequencing it, and the production quality is great. And, yes, I know it's from various years.

This will all be moot in a few hours. Tuesday's almost here. I'm sure I'll get the CD and, well, we'll see. What's funny about all this is that Harvest Moon doesn't rank up there with Neil's best albums (CDs, whatever). The album was so-so, so these will be performances from a so-so album. Ya gotta laugh at much ado about nothing!

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 12:18:30 AM PST
E. Medina says:
Ugh, sorry about that. Here is what I said:

It's a "complete live performance of 'Harvest Moon'",not a complete one night concert. There really is no reason to be that upset since the "Live at Sugar Mountain" and "Live at the Riverboat" CDs, for example, are culled from various shows but Neil and team did a great job editing them together to make is sound like one show. Plus, maybe Neil never had a "perfect show" during this tour. He might of been off with a song or two a night. If he wants to make a compilation of his best performances from the Harvest Moon tour, then that is fine with me"

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 3:35:21 AM PST
Blue Coronet says:
Speaking of live Neil performances, does anyone know if the soundtrack to HEART OF GOLD is ever coming out? They mention it in the film's credits, but it has never been available.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2009 2:31:01 AM PST
H. M Rivera says:
The soundtrack for Heart of Gold is in the same imaginary place as the soundtrack for the Berlin DVD, which was supposedly "Available on Geffen Records" if you read the end credits.

There is a commonly available 2 DVD or 2 CD bootleg called "Centre Stage" with a complete performance of the 1992 solo tour, recorded for PBS in CHicago. It has all of these songs plus old Neil standards in perfect quality. I would think that it is going to be released at some point in the Archives (2025?).

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 10:02:06 AM PST
J. Shephard says:
we can go on and on and on (new 12-step group for ad infinitum types: On & On & On Anon).. but there is PLENTY of Neil Young to keep us listening til our ears get old and weathered. It would take DECADEs just to listen to ALL he's done.. How is that even possible? Keep your eyes on the DONUT, not on the HOLE. Peace.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dreamin' Man Live '92
Dreamin' Man Live '92 by Neil Young (Audio CD - 2009)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (27)