Customer Discussions > Out Among The Stars forum

A legend's lost album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2013 3:47:40 AM PST
I just heard of this wonderful find and I am so excited to hear these songs that refused to stay buried. Talented stars June Carter Cash, Marty Stuart and Legend Waylon Jennings add to the Gold standard that became known as Johnny Cash Classic country. A legend and member of not only the Country Music Hall of Fame, but the Rock and Roll Hall of fame as well, that refused to be cast into any mold but the mold he created himself. This should be one of the greatest treasure finds ever!

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 6:27:21 PM PST
This should be intriguing, although what I remember is Columbia records dumping Cash for not making records that folks would buy. I think the stuff he did with Rick Rubin is his best in years, comparable to the famed Sun Sessions. Columbia is just trying to milk it again. It will be interesting to hear, but at this point it is a novelty of his fame. Cash proved to be a pioneer and a bridge between the generations, as was seen in his TV show. Sorry to be a downer, and I hope the release of these tracks prove me wrong....but follow the $.

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 12:50:28 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 24, 2014 10:46:24 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 5:55:07 AM PST
M. Norton says:
Having been a Johnny Cash fan all my life (he's been my FAVORITE since I was 7 years old. I'm now 57.), I so much appreciate the Personal File/Bootleg series and the 'lost' things,it's almost as if Johnny is still with us with these new releases. I played the segment of 'She Used To Love Me A Lot' in the video for the album,and it sounds like Classic Cash to me,and I will definitely be getting this. The titles all seem new to me,except for 'I'm Moving On',so I am really looking forward to getting this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 10:32:53 AM PST
Paul B. says:
Yeah man,
God bless Rick Rubin.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2014 7:10:10 PM PST
Mikey says:
Columbia has nothing to do with this. This is being released under Legacy Recordings which is owned by Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2014 2:58:05 AM PST
Mark Muller says:
Yes, The Baron really did suck if I say so, and I'm an ENORMOUSLY RABID Cash fan. Still, I'm gonna have to get this. The walk the line album was just Columbia trying to get the best Sun songs into their catalog. One of the biggest wastes of time in his huge canon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2014 8:45:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2014 9:16:28 AM PST
sorry, but Sony also owns Columbia. may not have always been the case, but it is now. Sony, Warner Bros and Universal are all that is left of the major labels, all others are under them. EMI is now defunct.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2014 7:00:17 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Do we know when these recordings were made?

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 1:16:46 AM PDT
I think these were from what he had in the can when he got released from columbia...his work began to go down the drain...as he began to rely on others too much and not enough of johnny cash...what is the johnny cash sound? it's a sound full of flaws not meant to be perfect which what he was becoming with columbia...i do believe columbia purchased his sun songs and had the rights to them so they were going to use them...but nothing is better in the cash cannon than the sun sides, then comes the rick rubin years...so his beginning and end were his best periods...very unsual, usaully it's the other way around...and i won't entirely say his middle years were rubbish you just got to pick and choose...probably he was always good when it was just him and a guitar.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 9:28:13 AM PDT
Zerohouse says:
According to information noted on the CD Universe web site, this was a shelved album produced by legendary producer Billy Sherrill (think of Charlie Rich's big pop 70's albums) in or around 1984 and would have appeared in that year. Why it wasn't released is a bit of a mystery as again, according to this review, the overall sound is not as big as some of Sherrill's productions. You can hear a few snippets of some of the songs on this web site and they don't sound too bad to my old ears. I'm an old Cash and Rich fan and I was never totally thrilled with Sherrill's over use of symphonic backdrops, but this sounds a lot more spare and open.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 4:34:34 PM PDT
1984 was about the time he got released from columbia? i think it was in 1986 to be exact so he made another album or two after this, for whatever reason this remained in the can since...Cash then went to mercury did okay but they didn't really support his albums or whatever then he move on to American Records in about 1992...Charlie Rich had a great album in the 70s...by 1984 nashville/columbia was becoming more interested in newer acts...i think if your going to have a genre you have to respect who went before...and i think that's why the country genre took a step down because they didn't respect who went before you lose that history or where the music came from...to me there's nothing better in this world of music than those sun sides alot of people will agree with me i'm sure...the rick rubin sides were chilling at times too...listen to "hurt" and tell me you didn't feel something or get goose bumps...cash transcends time...i'm glad this album will be sparse because that's just the way i like to hear cash...and his bootleg series came out good because of that too.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 5:22:57 PM PDT
Zerohouse says:
The Sun Records history of Johnny Cash, Elvis, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Charlie Rich and others is still hard to beat on any level. I had the chance to be there in Memphis in the mid-80s when you could still pay them to make a record. I also got to sit in Elvis' pink Caddy, lol. I feel that Charlie Rich was ill-served by many labels and I'm glad he finally got his due on Epic with the albums he released that were produced by Billy Sherrill. Elvis was always concerned that Charlie was a better vocalist. But if you really want to hear him as he should be heard, get a copy of "Pictures & Paintings" his very last album before he passed on, that was released in '92. It has a stripped down jazz club feel that allows Charlie to stretch out and work his voice around some classics and his own special love songs. Of the big Sun rockabilly stars, only Jerry Lee Lewis is still living which is astonishing in itself!

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 1:42:16 PM PDT
You would've thought jerry lee lewis would've been the 1st to go...which only accentuates the saying only the good die young...i'll check out charlie rich's last album it interests me it's stripped down i dislike clutter...i think i have the epic album with the big hit...most beautiful girl in the world...which is really a great idea for a song...i don't know if enough people realize how clever that song was.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2014 6:16:31 PM PDT
Zerohouse says:
Charlie Rich was the late comer to the Sun Records stable, but was considered by many to have the finest voice. Sam Phillips was quoted as saying something like that. When he hooked up with Billy Sherrill to produce his big hit albums and singles in the early 70's he finally got his due but the overall sound of those recordings was Sherrill's with C.R.'s magnificent voice. "The Most Beautiful Girl" from the "Behind Closed Doors" album, was a huge hit, but not nearly the best of those recordings. The followup album "Very Special Love Songs" was also a big hit and basically a repeat of "Behind Closed Doors" in production. Epic/Legacy released these albums on expanded CD's some years ago, but only "Behind Closed Doors" is still in print in that format. Some critics have called it schmaltz which is not invalid but I still enjoy his voice and the craft that went into those records. I feel the same about Sherrill's work with George Jones, Tanya Tucker, etc. but this "new" release of his work with Cash is a Godsend. Anyone interested in delving into Charlie Rich's catalogue should beware that there are many less than acceptable collections that should be avoided. Look for the remastered originals or clearly official label collections. Legacy has "Feel Like Going Home: The Essential Charlie Rich" double CD which is a good place to start but as a real fan I love the" Smash Sessions" and the "Complete Sun Records Sessions" the most. Like Johnny Cash and Elvis, Rich had a long and varied career but his early works set the blueprint for his soulful readings. There will never be another Sun but we have the legacy of those great southern singers.

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 7:46:08 PM PDT
There will never be another sun because there will never be another sam phillips...most of the people sam phillips nobody would sign today...cash for starters i don't think i'd need to explain why...but the man was unique in sound and so was his band, luther made the band and it was a sad day when he passed on...elvis...well he would've made his way somewhere i'm sure...roy orbison i don't think anyone would've taken the chance other than sam phillips because of his image sad to say today image is too much of what will get someone signed to a label...carl perkins, jerry lee lewis...he recorded alot of blues singers but they didn't have exclusive contracts they record one off's all the time...sam phillips was great at developing an artist...he wasn't able to record 5 piece bands for the most it was just 3 piece...drum, guitar and bass...most of the records were of that line up...it's sad that time period is gone forever...where people can be just that a person...now you get your justin biebers, mylie cyrus, lady gaga and it seems too larger than life too inhuman...the reason memphis was a mecca for all the artists was the fact they were exposed to the most kinds of music...where if you were in another part of the country you might not be exposed to it all...blues, gospel, country, folk, jazz...today a kid can listen and become an expert on a variety of music...but sadly it's not about the music today anymore is it? it's this lousy image and making videos.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2014 7:53:39 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Thanks! I may pick this up just to get a feel for Johnny in the 80's. I'm only a casual Cash fan (a bandwagoner who only jumped on during the American years...although I think I had the live prison albums a few years earlier). My J. Cash consists of only Folsum, San Quentin, the first 4 American albums and one called "Carryin' On" with June Carter. Reading these posts is helping me understand a bit more of where I should go next.

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 3:27:42 PM PDT
Do yourself a big big favor and get the sun recordings i'm certain you'll be amazed and forever drawn to the recordings.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2014 4:36:27 PM PDT
Legacy is part of Columbia and both are owned by Sony.

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 5:41:50 PM PDT
yup...legacy usaully has older unreleased material but released before in a simplier format...columbia is regular releases...sony will probably be reissued stuff

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2014 6:45:32 PM PDT
In the second half of the 90s til recently,many reissues have had the " Legacy" imprint. Not only unreleased material but original album reissues - anything that fell into Sony's ownership - Columbia,Ode,Epic back catalog items from Cash,Carole King,Sly & the Family Stone,Spirit,the Byrds...

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 7:18:41 PM PDT
why would they release it unless there was some kind of new material on the album even if it's 1 or 2 bonus tracks...elvis last week had a legacy release and they added the same concert as before but another concert and 5 more songs in addition to the concert previously released...go put all your columbia, epic, sony and legacy in different piles and see if there's any pattern like i mentioned.

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 7:55:01 PM PDT
It DOES have new,unreleased material - ALL of it is unreleased. My point was that Legacy does previously released material as well. They are not strictly unreleased. This Cash disc is.

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 8:10:58 AM PDT
it can have previously released but somewhere on the disc will be never before released making it a legacy release as opposed to just a reissue is what i'm trying to say...eg nothing on this cash disc was ever released before as the title was never released but put in the can left there until now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2014 3:57:01 PM PDT
Whatever you need. I own Legacy CDS that contain unreleased bonus tracks and some that do not,simply the original album remastered. But if it pleases you to view it your way,fine. I'm calling the Poet Of Tomorrow.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Out Among The Stars forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Out Among The Stars
Out Among The Stars by Johnny Cash (Audio CD - 2014)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (383)