Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Mistress of the Sun: A Novel forum

A sparkling novel

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2008 3:10:17 PM PDT
Sandra Gulland, author of the riveting and critically acclaimed Josephine B series, has written an engrossing and touching novel about Louise de la Valliere, one of Louis XIV's most interesting, charming mistresses.

I am a huge fan of Ms. Gulland's charming personality and enchanting writing style. As soon as I learned of Mistress of the Sun's impending release in Canada, I spent the extra postage and ordered it through Amazon.ca

I read the book in record time. In fact, I reluctantly completed it this morning at one o'clock. I am not disappointed to have spent the extra money on postage. It was one of the best novels I have read in the last year.

Mistress of the Sun beautifully tells the story of Louise de la Valliere, a chaste young woman with a loving heart and quiet nature, who, despite her religious upbringing and guilt, falls in love with a very married, very magnetic Louis XIV. The story is set during the golden years of Louis' epoch - when he was still young, dashing, brazen, and not yet entirely jaded by the intrigues and excesses of his court. It makes for a compelling backdrop, one that ensnares the reader.

Ms. Gulland, deft as ever, masterfully weaves together a story that seems to come together colorfully with each word. Her characterizations are subtle and brilliant. This reader grew to love innocent, tender Louise and felt her heart break when certain tragedies befell the character.

It is clear that Ms. Gulland did her research, peppering the story with interesting but obscure facts about court life, provincial supersitions, and horsemanship.

For anyone who loves French history or historical novels, Mistress of the Sun must be read. It sparkles as brilliantly Versailles in the summer sun!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 10, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mistress Of The Sun
Mistress Of The Sun by Sandra Gulland (Hardcover - March 18, 2008)