5.0 out of 5 stars A four-star tablet at a five-star price.
Before starting my review, there are a few things that I would like to mention.

1) This is my first experience with an Android tablet. I have owned several iPads and a couple of windows-based devices, but this is my first Android.
2) The title of my review is probably the most important sentence in this entire review.
3) I received a sample of this...
Published 9 months ago by Ciaran

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made
Have had it for 7 months and when I unplugged it from the charger, the whole charge port (the part that should be attached to the circuit board) came out completely.
Published 1 month ago by M. Hedley

5.0 out of 5 stars A four-star tablet at a five-star price., November 4, 2013
This review is from: AKASO Kingpad® A7 7'' [Black] Google Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Dual Core Tablet PC, Allwinner A20 Dual Core Cortex A7 CPU, 8GB HDD, 1024x600 Resolution, Multi-Touch Screen, Front Camera + Rear Camera, Google Play Pre-Installed, HDMI 2160P Output, Skype Video Calling, Netflix, Flash Supported [By TabletExpress] (Personal Computers)
Before starting my review, there are a few things that I would like to mention.

3) I received a sample of this tablet to test from the manufacturer on the understanding that I would review this without bias. The following is my honest opinion.

INTRO
--------------------------------
As mentioned, I am a new Android user. I'm not going to lie - I've been an Apple-lover for many years now, and use an iPhone and iMac on a daily basis. That said, I've also been a Linux user since 2009 (mostly Ubuntu with some Tails and Arch to test my webserver's security) and am very aware of the pros of using linux-based android devices. I decided to test this tablet because it seemed to offer quite a lot for a very reasonable price tag.

Some of the devices specs:
- Dual core processor
- High Definition Screen
- Above-average construction
- Dual Cameras (one front, one back)
- Running on Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Has HDMI output
- Comes with Google Play pre-installed

With some promising specs, I was excited when my tablet arrived and quickly tore open the box.

OUT OF THE BOX
--------------------------------
A few things I want to point out. The first is that this device ships with a screen protector already applied. While you can keep it on, it really diminishes the quality of the screen and I highly recommend removing it (as does the manufacturer). Secondly, there is a piece of paper included with the table that recommends installing some sort of "App Killer" to close background apps for better performance and battery life. I ignored this at first, thinking Android's app manager would be enough. It wasn't, and after installing an app to automatically and periodically kill certain apps there was a noticeable increase in both performance and battery life.

Inside the box is the tablet, a wall charger, a USB adapter, a user guide and various other bit of paper (some of them already mentioned). My tablet shipped about 75% charged, so the first thing I did was allow it to charge fully before using it, so as to get an accurate gauge on battery life during usage.

The first thing I noticed (after removing the screen protector) was just how sharp the screen was. Included on my tablet was an HD video of a popular Chinese (I believe) girl band, so I fired that up to see how everything looked. I was and am impressed. The quality was certainly better than watching HD videos on my iPhone 4, and arguably better than videos were on my second gen iPad. While I'm sure that Retina screens (and HD screens from brand-name tablet makers) blow this thing out of the water, for less than $70 I was extremely impressed with the quality. It may be a little bit too sharp for some people's tastes, but you certainly get used to it.

THE EXPERIENCE
--------------------------------
Note: this will be a long entry broke up into different sections. I apologize in advance for the wordiness, but since my experience with this tablet varied while performing various functions, I believe it to be necessary. I have added individual scores for each section.

The tablet itself has a nice feel in the hands - I've never used a 7" tablet before and I find it much more comfortable to use for longer periods of time than larger tablets. On top is a lock button, also used for turning off the device, as well as a back button, headphone jack, HDMI port and MicroUSB port for charging/connectivity.

MEDIA - 8/10
I have really enjoyed media consumption on this tablet. Watching videos is near flawless - even large movie files played from a MicroSD card do so without issue, although anything over 1GB is going to make the tablet struggle so I would consider compressing movie files to 700MB or so for optimal performance. Listening to music is just fine, both from the SD card in the music player and using the Pandora app. Youtube is interesting - when I first fire up a video it struggles a little bit (for about 15 seconds or so), but once it gets playing, I have had no real issues, even while watching 1hr+ documentaries. I do recommend downloading apps for functions like this, especially Youtube. They are optimized for tablet performance and almost always result in a better experience (even my iPhone prefers the Youtube app to watching videos in Safari). My Netflix experience was very similar to Youtube - some stuttering every now and then but totally usable. I do want to point out that the built-in speakers on this tablet are not great...they simply lack the power for anything other than watching videos in bed/on the couch in a quieter environment. I would recommend an external speaker/headphones if you intend to use the tablet for media. I have not yet tried using the HDMI out port, but will do so tonight and update my review.

BROWSING - 9/10
Browsing the internet has been great - every now and then I've had the browser crash, but mostly on plugin-heavy websites. Reading the news, blogs and general browsing is excellent! I did find Google Chrome to be pretty slow, but the included browser (based on Google Chrome seemingly) and Firefox both work fine. I mainly use this tablet for browsing Craigslist, various news websites and a couple of forums - thankfully all of them work well.

GAMING - 7/10
I don't game much (at all), but decided to install Temple Run to see how the tablet handled it. On first launch, it crashed and I had to use my App Killer to close it out completely. I then opened it up again, and it actually played pretty well. Some of the cinematic sequences weren't totally smooth, but gameplay was definitely doable. I'll try a few other games

SKYPE/GOOGLE HANGOUTS - 7/10
Using Skype was decent. I am told the microphone on the tablet sounded fine, and I didn't have any issues with performance. Switching to video caused a little bit of stuttering (sort of like with Youtube), but eventually kicked in and was as good as my iPhone so no complaints there. Again, headphones are recommended unless you're in a quiet environment.

TAKING PICTURES - 6/10
Though the camera works fine for video calling, I do not recommend choosing this tablet if you want to take important pictures, the quality is just not that great.

EMAIL - 10/10
Using email on this device is excellent - on par with using it on my iPad. I have had no issues with the included mail app on Jelly Bean, and the A7 handles it fluidly, perhaps the most fluidly out of any other app. I quickly set up my seven email accounts (yes, a lot I know) and can now receive and respond to email without any issues.

THE DOWNSIDES
- Speed
As mentioned, this tablet does struggle with certain CPU/Memory-intensive applications. Every now and then a key press won't register for a second or two and other little annoyances. I was just about to type: "If you want a super-fast tablet, this might not be for you", but I really hope that nobody is looking at a $70 tablet expecting it to be "super fast". Again, after installing an app killer I found the performance to increase noticeably, so I highly recommend doing so.

- Sound
The built in speakers are not great. This may be a deal breaker for some, but I almost always use headphones or an external speaker any way and did so with my iPad too.

WHO IS THIS TABLET FOR?
--------------------------------

I can think of a plethora of people who will enjoy this device, so I'm just going to list them:

- People who can't afford a more expensive tablet
- People who would only use a tablet for general media consumption (web surfing, youtube, etc.)
- People who want a cheap tablet for kids (this is an excellent choice)
- People who aren't sure about Android and want to try it cheaply
- People who don't care about having a fast device

--------------------------------
CONCLUSION
--------------------------------
Overall, I keep having to remind myself of the price. It's not the fastest or slickest tablet on the market, but did exceed my expectations for a sub-$80 electronic device. With decent performance, a really nice screen and a solid operating system, I can definitely recommend this product. Given that manufacturers like Coby are putting out far inferior tablets for the same (or greater) price, if you're in the market for a cheap tablet and you're not willing to spend $150+ on a brand name tablet, this is definitely one to consider.

I went back and forth between a four and five star rating (in regards to my title) - in the end, price won the battle. You simply cannot beat this tablet for the price, and in that respect, it deserves five stars for value for money. This is not meant to be an iPad, nor is it mean to be a Nexus. It is an affordable tablet that puts mobile computing in your hands for the price of family trip to the movies, and I'm overall quite pleased with it. If Amazon allowed half star ratings, I would probably go with 4.5 stars, but given that doing so is not possible, five stars it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be smarter than the tablet., December 25, 2013
All you geniuses who have problem try reading the direction FIRST! It says charge for 10 hours before you do anything. Then install app killer so you don't get freezing and battery drain. It's what is know as an ID 10 T error. Put those characters together and you'll understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Choice, November 9, 2013
I just bought this tablet (first tablet). In my honest opinion its a first class tablet, really great if you are a beginner using tablets and the price is very convenient. I've followed the golden rules which I found out by doing research on android tablets which are : (downloading an App Killer, turning the brightness down, downloading Nova to be my launcher, download Youtube player for faster viewing of their videos). If you follow these rules, your battery life gets a huge boost, you can have a better tablet overall.
Downside is that it doesn't come with its won earpiece, its a bit slow at times(with App killer installed it gets a bit faster), the on screen keyboard gets stuck while writing at times. The volume is really low even on max. Overall I'm really glad I bought this tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet - Ignore the low reviews, and here's why, April 18, 2014
Melanie C "MC" (Desert Soutwest, U.S.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ok, I've wanted a tablet for a while - but I didn't want to jump in for $300 or more, until I saw if I liked it or not, and if it would actually fit a need for me, first. I found this Dragon Touch on Amazon for $65, it arrived fast - but in the meantime, I went back and read all the reviews here. The two major complaints that have caused this tablet to be rated a 3-star item are: 1. Died after 1 week, and 2. Would not take or hold a charge.
To this point, the instructions in the box are quite clear - it tells you to disregard any charge the tablet may have, and BEFORE USE, charge it at least 10-hours, NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE! After that, 7-hour charges are sufficient for maintenance. Ok, easy enough to follow instructions. I did just that, I charged it about 11-hours the first time, almost 12 the second. I am getting about 3-4 hours of heavy app-installing use out of it, 4+ hours if just browsing or surfing.
It is a nice pad, relatively fast for the price, feels solid, well-built, has the most-current Android OS on it, and has decent memory for the price (8-gb). It can be expanded with a micro-SD up to 32 more gigs, and has an HDMI and 1/8 mono output port, as well as a micro-USB input for charging and accessing USB devices. It has a rotating screen, for those times when you are watching Netflix and want wide-screen, instead of tiny vertical screen (just lay it over, the gyro senses it). As with all tablet Android devices, it can play music, movies, take pictures (still and video, but the resolution is crappy - hey, come on, it's a $65 tablet, what did you expect, a 2-Meg Pixel camera?) It has two cameras, built-in (crappy) speakers, and a microphone. Plug in a nice set of external speakers, and it actually has decent sound output. I have not HDMI'd it to my TV monitor, but I am sure that works well, too.
I have not had problems with rebooting, or needing to. Apparently, like most computers, if you install junk, you will have trouble - if you stick with mainline stuff, you will have few. I use mostly browsers, news readers, Netflix, etc., so staying with mainline stuff, I don't have a lot of quirky programs that glitch me out. Resolution is excellent, I can watch NOAA radar live on it, and the detail resolution on it, or Google Maps is amazing.
IF anything, the battery life is still expanding - but I have noticed that it slowed down when I got ALL my apps on it, as I started filling memory up. Time for a 32-gb chip. The pre-loaded apps are great, and help get you going, and the only recommendation I would offer is to have them also put Amazon Apps Store on it default, too. (right now, it only has Google Play...but you can just go to amazon.com and go to 'apps for android' to get to the store app).
Anyway, this is a GREAT tablet for the money. Obviously, anyone can review the tablet, but when they tell you it died right out of the box, that tells me that they used it RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, even when the box said to NOT DO THIS. Follow instructions, and live a much more pain-free life. I can't recommend this tablet enough, just read what it says when you open it, and you will be fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great quality., November 5, 2013
Dragon Touch A7 met all my expectations. Easy to set up and intuitive, user friendly. This 7" is a very good size for viewing and holding in one hand. I've installed a lot of apps and movies and it's still running good. Antutu score is over 10k. A lot of capability for under $100. I highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's growing on me, November 13, 2013
I purchased this tablet as a first time tablet owner. While there are some issues with power consumption and a less than great camera, it's growing on me. My games play well, videos are clear. Overall I'm happy. Not a bad tablet for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Tablet for the price, November 23, 2013
I read quite a few reviews before purchasing for my son. It works great and he loves it. Good first tablet for a 12 year old. He didn't need anything too fancy or high tech.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK tablet, though big hassle, April 20, 2014
I bought this tablet for $60. The actual box that they put it in is very neat and tidy. The box comes with
-the tablet (duh)
-wall charger
-micro usb to usb cable
-SOMETIMES with a female usb to male micro usb

Performance:

With the tablet only being $60, the performance really wasn't that great. It can run casual games like subway surfers, temple run, clash of clans, etc. Though when I tried 3D intensive games like Dead Trigger, it ran badly at 15 FPS. Though other apps worked just fine. You DON'T need a app killer though, since it's android 4.2.2; it comes with a built in multitasker. The screen though doesn't have good calibration, I find that I have to tap slightly above something for it to work. 90% of the games on Google play where compatible with this device.

Camera: They should have not even put a camera, because it sucks THAT bad. It's only .3 megapixel, which is VERY little; though it could still scan stuff like QR codes just fine.

Sound: Everyone says the speaker sucks, not as good as ones that items like the iPad have, but it's moderately loud, and sound quality if O.K.

Durability: This is where the tablet completely lost a star, I bought this tablet and it only lasted for 6 days. I dropped is from a measly 1 foot, and the screen cracked, but the crack was under the screen, I tried to use the screen, but it didn't work. Amazon issued me with a refund and I bought a another one. I HIGHLY recommend a case, without one, you will regret it.

Defective tablets: I bought my SECOND ONE, I used it, and from the first day I ever had it, it would turn off randomly; but I found a fix. When ever I want to lock the tablet, I don't press the lock button , but just wait for it to auto turn-off.

Battery: The battery only lasts 4 hrs, without WiFI, and with Wifi it's 3-4 hrs.

What really annoys me is people saying the tablet it slow and stuff. People are comparing this cheap $60 to tablets that cost $400.

As for the reviews that say that it can't hold charge, the first thing you must do right after you get it is to charge it for 10 hours, even if it says it has 100% right out of the box. And to keep it in good condition, it says to charge for 7 hour periods after that. In which I just turn the tablet and do an overnight charge.

This tablet will suit you if you:

-play casual games
-use the internet
-watch YouTube

NOT GOOD FOR:

-Heavy gaming
-if you want a super fast tablet
-super fast typing

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Touch tablet express, February 5, 2014
My daughter loves it! She uses it for school and games. Very good purchase. She has nothing bad to say about her dragon touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal!, February 4, 2014
Purchased this for my granddaughter. She loves it. Am thinking about getting one for myself. Also purchase case with keyboard.

Rate and Discover Movies