4.0 out of 5 stars A good start for a heavy duty emergency kit (good gift, too)
Published on April 11, 2008 by K. Varraso

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starter kit, but NOT as described
I ordered two of these kits in anticipation for another cold Minnesota winter. I received it within 2 days since I have Amazon Prime. I am pleased with the kit overall, but am disappointed as well.

Published on November 18, 2009 by Matt DeRusha

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starter kit, but NOT as described, November 18, 2009
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)

The kit seems sufficient with plenty to get by if I were to be stranded somewhere in the middle of no where. There's stuff to keep me warm, safe, and to signal others as well. Everything seems to be of mediocre quality, which is good enough for me.

However, it is different from what is described.

1) No Matches! The set of matches in both sets were replaced with another cheap candle due to shipping restrictions. What good are my 4 candles without matches?

2) The flashlight is NOT a hand-charged dual LED flashlight. Instead it is an ordinary cheap flashlight with two AA batteries.

The waterproof matches and the hand-charged flashlight were definitely selling points, and I'm not so sure I would have bought this particular set if it I knew these pitfalls ahead of time. Nonetheless, I'll keep them to save myself the hassle since I'm still better with the kits than without them.

I am planning on adding a few items before I chuck it into my trunk. Some hard candy, extra socks, some baggies to keep my feet dry in case I need to trudge through some snow, a container to melt snow in, chapstick, a medium sized and durable container of cat litter, and finally my trusty jumper cables.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start for a heavy duty emergency kit (good gift, too), April 11, 2008
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)
If you are a driver who travels in rough winter weather (or if you know and like such a driver), this is a perfect starter kit to put in the trunk before the first leaves fall. The AAA Winter Travel kit has put together a bunch of survival items that could make the difference between freezing to death or waiting for help in relative comfort. The kit is not 100% complete, no kit could be, but if you add the items that pertain to your personal situation, you will feel a lot better when driving those backwoods roads.

The most useful item, by far, is the enclosed "Emergency Car Care Guide," which has instructions and suggestions to get your car headed back to safety instead of being stranded at the side of a cold and stormy road. If the car cannot be started again easily, the Guide also contains suggestions on how to keep warm and safe while waiting for rescue. To help, there are emergency candles, a shovel to remove snow from around the car's tailpipe (keeps away that carbon monoxide), a flashlight and an emergency blanket. The blanket is made of thin, reflective plastic and would be better supplemented with a heavy woolen blanket, or even layers of newspaper in an emergency.

Another thing that the kit does not contain is food and water necessary to stay warm, comfortable and not hungry while waiting. I suggest always having a case package of water bottles (you need a lot more water than food, and three candles won't melt much snow) and some high calorie snack bars, which last a long time and will provide needed body heat in a winter emergency. Both items can be easily replaced and rotated as time passes, so that the items won't be old and stale when a real emergency occurs.

As a thoughtful starting point for your kit, this is great, but don't kid yourself - 46 pieces of the 63 piece kit are the "first aid supplies" (mostly bandages) and "quality vinyl cover." You need more than this in a winter emergency. An hour's online research will give you a complete list, to which you need only add something to kill time. A novel from Amazon, perhaps? :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Contents are a little strange, but the shovel is great, April 6, 2013
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)
The contents range from the really useful (shovel) to first aid supplies that are really unrelated to weather to a really cheesy & flimsy fleece hat and blanket. (For one person.) Still, we picked and pulled items from this and our existing winter car emergency bag to make a better bag. The hat is a good idea, but putting two old but warmer ones in our winter duffel is better. The kit doesn't have warmth or work gloves, and yet those are really very necessary if you have to change a tire or get stuck and have to dig out. Mittens are best for hand warmth. We added some light sticks, a package of 8-hour self-adhesive heat wraps (the kind you use when you've got a back ache) which can provide a lot of core warmth for hours, a couple of old heavier weight polarfleece jackets (hit the thrift store), some more handwarmers, pack of toe warmers, extra oversize space blanket, roll of duct tape, two heavier duty disposable plastic drop cloths, a bungee cord and a utility knife. Add a clean pint mason jar with emergency candles inside and some strike anywhere matches, a roll of TP and 2-3 black plastic trash bags. Food wise you really need some water: you can buy Datex packets (like Capri Sun, but with just water) or just get some Capri Sun or Gatorade packets, which can all withstand freeze-thaw cycles. Two small cans of almonds provide energy and have a long shelf life. A hunter orange vest can make you easier to see A wind-up radio/light/cellphone charger completes the package.

We cram all this in an old, small nylon duffel bag and toss it in the car for the entire winter. It doesn't need any attention, but if we skidded off -road or ended up with a disabled car in a remote area we'd have what we need to stay alive even in a blizzard, and even if a window broke. (Duct tape and heavy duty drop cloth to the rescue.)

The AAA kit is a starting point, but not a particularly good ending point. You can get a lot of the other things you really need at thrift shops, grocery store and a few purchases at a good hardware store. It doesn't have to be pretty, but you goal is to be able to stay safe and warm until help can come.

(And, if you don't have an SUV or a wagon or a car where you can access the trunk from the inside of the car, stash the bag in the back seat so it is accessible if you need it. Especially if you get in an accident, getting into the trunk may be a challenge.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading description, November 16, 2009
Aaron Hoffman (Fairbanks, AK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)
Useful item, misleading description. I actually used this last weekend when I unexpectedly had to put chains on my tires and was without a hat and mittens, so I am glad I had it. However, the item description lists "1 hand-charged dual LED flashlight" which is not the case. I got a normal, incandescent flashlight with two batteries. No LED, no hand-charge. Also, the item description lists "strobe light" which also appears to be absent, unless you repeatedly turn the flashlight on and off by yourself. Finally, no matches as the description says. Apparently shipping regulations restrict the shipping of matches.

These items really need to be fixed in the description.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust the picture or the description!, November 20, 2009
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)
As other reviewers have said, the description and pictures are misleading! Unfortunately for me, these reviews didn't go up until after I put in my order! I am very upset. This is the first time I've ever bought something from Amazon and been so misled. And for those that may not have read the other reviews, there is no hand chargeable flashlight or waterproof matches. Matches were replaced by ONE candle due to alleged shipping restrictions. How am I supposed light any of the candles WITHOUT matches?! Also, it is now a 65-piece kit. I don't know how it compares to the 63-piece kit, but I doubt the 2 extra pieces are anything more significant than bandages. One final thing is that there is a August 2010 expiration date listed on the front of the bag. I haven't checked to see which item expires, but it probably refers to a minor first aid item.

3.0 out of 5 stars You can do much better with a bit more effort, January 28, 2014
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)
I keep an emergency kit in the car (lived 15yrs in New England, need I say more?) But like a lot of bargain-bundles, the components are not always ideal. I looked at this kit and I was not satisfied, so back it goes. Meanwhile, I can suggest an alternative that will do the job better. This takes a bit of work to set up.

1. Shovel: I prefer a snow-shovel shape for maximum snow removal like the AAA 4004 Red Aluminum Sport Utility Shovel The pointed trench shovels just don't lift enough fast enough. I've had to shovel out at airports when my car was plowed in. Let me tell you how fun that ISN'T with a tiny shovel.

2. LED Safety Triangle More reflective triangles are good--get at auto supply store.

3. Reflective Safety Vest As soon as you exit the car, this MUST be worn.

4. Secur Rainproof Collapsible Hand crank LED Lantern & Flashlight No batteries to drain out. This WILL be operational.

5. Put some hard candy or hard granola bars, some bottled water and an emergency candle in the car along with matches or a lighter (I keep a lighter in my purse even though I don't smoke. Put these in a nylon shopping bag (because you need to get away from the car in case of accident, if possible, so you will need a tote.)

6. Small first aid kit, the kind you can get in any drugstore (bandaids, tape, an Ace bandage, Neosporin cream.) Keep in glove box.

7. A pair of boots and a pair of thick socks. I always keep an extra pair of good, comfy, old boots in the car. A good way to do this economically is to retire a pair of hunting or hiking boots when you buy new ones, or even find a used pair at a thrift shop because the day you forget heavy boots is the day you need them.

9. Rolled up space blanket or a cheap fleece blanket (Dollar stores have these or get an old Army blanket or two.)

8. Keep a plastic bin in the trunk with the following auto items:
Phillips head screwdrivers
Pliers
Vise Grips
Adjustable wrench
Tire inflator (such as a Fix-A-Flat)
Tire pressure gauge
Rags
Roll of paper towels
Roll of duct tape
Spray bottle with washer fluid AND a gallon of extra fluid
REALLY good Ice scraper
Pen and paper
Help sign (put this in a plastic page protector.)

While a lot more work, this is a completely functional kit. You can add a Ambient Weather WR-111B Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM/NOAA Digital Radio, Flashlight, Cell Phone Charger with NOAA Certified Weather Alert & Cables to recharge a phone but I carry a small re-charger.

If you travel far from home or are where severe weather is frequent, this is a more functional setup than this all-in-one kit because all of the items are good quality and will work if you store them for a while in the car.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Kit... Great with Additions!, December 9, 2013
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)
I live in the far northeast part of Montana, where it can be very rural and winter weather can get nasty very quickly, so I purchased 3 of these kits, one for my daughter, one for a friend, and one for myself. And, while this may be missing a few items that I feel are important for an emergency winter kit, it is a good starter kit, that with a few additions, could be a much better kit.

Due to shipping restrictions the kit doesn't come with matches, so I added a disposable lighter to each one. Now a disposable lighter doesn't work well in when it's really cold (you have to warm it first), so I also added stormproof matches to each kit as well, which you can purchase here; UCO Stormproof Matches, Waterproof and Windproof with 15 Second Burn Time - 25 Matches

The kit also comes with only one Mylar thermal blanket, which is okay if your traveling alone, but to be prepared in case there are more people in the vehicle, I purchased a 10 pack for less than $7.00 here Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (Pack of 10), so I could add 3 more to each kit. Another good addition is extra hand warmers. These, HotHands Hand Warmers 10 Pair Value Pack, allow to add 3 pair to each kit.

Also, good glow sticks are essential, not only in case the flashlight batteries go dead, but also as a beacon, or for signaling to let others know where you are, so I added some good industrial ones that will provide light for up to 12 hours from Cyalume SnapLight Industrial Grade Light Sticks, Green, 6" Long, 12 Hour Duration (Pack of 10). These have a hook on top that you could hang on your vehicle antenna or thread a string through to hang elsewhere.

Food and water are also essential to any survival kit, so I added emergency food rations to each kit from Mainstay Emergency Food Rations - 3600 Calorie Bars (Single), which would be okay for being stuck for the short term. I would recommend putting extra food in the truck, as well as a case of water, jumper cables, more emergency candles, and an extra blanket. You should also have a cell phone car charger in your vehicle at all times.

Everything above except for the extra food, water, jumper cables, and blanket fit nicely into the kit, and as such could be a life saver in an emergency in and of itself, without the the extras if you don't have the room for them. I'm sure you could think of other items that should be in an emergency weather travel kit, but for the money, even with the above added items, this is a great kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Kit, January 3, 2011
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)
Watch the price on this kit. It shouldn't cost more than $30. It is a basic winter weather kit for your vehicle. The highlights have to be the shovel, strobe light, and first aid kit. You get a whistle (nice touch if you spot someone in the distance), 3 tiny teacup candles (that might come in handy?), an ice scraper (which you should already have), a small flashlight (low power), and a guidebook.

It also has everything to keep ONE PERSON very warm. Keep that in mind. This seems like a one person kit. It comes with two hand warmer packets. I added several more. It has a three-piece fleece set for one person. Make sure you dress warm when you leave the house and that shouldn't be a problem. If someone in your party gets wet, you have the three-piece fleece set as a back-up.

It only comes with one emergency blanket. That didn't cut it for me. I bought 4 more for less than $5. You can buy more here Emergency Thermal Blankets (4 Pack). These are supposed to be great at preserving body heat while you wait for help to arrive.

You will still need to add a few things to this kit. They do not have waterproof matches. Buy some. I need to get a few glow sticks in case the flashlight quit working. And it wouldn't hurt to put a pocket-sized bible in this kit. If you are stuck in the middle of nowhere all alone and in trouble, who better to be with than God? Just a tip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought one for each car, October 9, 2013
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)
I bought two of these - one for my car, and one for my husband's. It fit in a compartment in the rear side-wall of our SUVs. I priced out buying all of this stuff separately and building my own kit, but I ended up buying this.

I'm not one to be uncomfortable or stranded and helpless, so I supplemented it in each car with a couple of other things:

Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (Pack of 10)
120 Assorted Car Truck Mini Fuse 5,7.5,10,15,20,25,30 AMP
Seatbelt Cutter Window Breaker Emergency Escape Tool
LifeLine AAA 300 PSI 12 Volt DC Air Compressor
Rothco 550lb. Type III Nylon Paracord
FordEx Group 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp
Neiko 20' Ft Heavy Duty 10,000 Lb Tow Strap with Hook
AAA 4326AAA Heavy Duty 16' 6 Gauge Booster Cable

I also plan to add some water and energy bars. A lot of this fit in the spare tire compartment and the rest fit in my trunk side compartments.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but ok., December 22, 2012
This review is from: AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit (Automotive)
Purchased this for a friend. reading the description it sounds alot bigger than it really is. No jumper cables, the strobe didnt work had to put in new batteries. shovel was kinda difficult to put together and flimsy. bag is just over stuffed. not easy to put things back into bag and close it once its opened.

AAA 65-Piece Winter Severe Weather Travel Kit