5.0 out of 5 stars Over freaking joyed
Published on June 7, 2011 by Tony_gr8house

2.0 out of 5 stars so-so
Really dissapointed with M2. After reading couple reviews on internet decided to purchase that.

Pros:
- 1024x768 resolution

- HDMI\SD\USB connectors

- Tripod

- Small projector

Published on December 10, 2010 by Nick G

5.0 out of 5 stars Over freaking joyed, June 7, 2011
This review is from: AAXA M2 Pico/Micro Projector with LED, XGA 1024x768 Resolution, 110 Lumens, Media Player and HDMI (Office Product)
I am in MOB station in Ft. Hood Tx. On the way to Iraq. Space is the most valuable commodity we have. After shopping for about 2 weeks I finally decided on this little projector for gaming and movie night on deployment. After opening the box this afternoon at about 1800 with the Tx afternoon sun shining through the windows at us I and about 5 other guys started watching 300 on the barracks wall. It wasn't perfect but we could see pretty good on a well lit room. The projector was about 4 or 5 feet from the wall making a picture about the same diagonal size. It was good enough for a bunch of army aviators to enjoy. As the sun crept down the size of our group grew to about 10 and Happy Gilmore was next. The picture was great. I can think of no downside to this purchase. It's convenient to carry and store, great picture and brighter than I expected. The sound is not what I bought it for, the speakers are weak but what did you expect? It's a lot to offer in a small package. I bought a good set of computer speakers and now have a portable theater. This little thing read the movies off of my 1TB USB hard drive. Divx, mp4, VOB, AVI files all worked fine. The remote worked great from behind the projector but that is where the sensor is. I expect this to be the most used item in our barracks in the sand box and my only concern is it will be worn out before I make it back home. As for the fan sound I didn't even hear it. Even before I plugged in the other speakers. It certainly didn't whine or irritate me in any way. The brick of the power supply did get hot at first but actually cooled off as the hours wore on. I have a HUGE old projector at home that SUX compared to this one. I love this little thing and think you will too. If u are looking for a balance of video quality and expense with a huge infasis on compact, portability, buy this thing. My next planned purchases are the AAXA cables to let me connect to my iPad and PSP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable product with good/responsive service, January 17, 2011
Having personally tried three micro projectors (the AAXA M1, AAXA M2, and Dell M109S), here is what I think of the M2:

Pros:
Lightweight and pretty bright for a projector of this size
Competitive pricing for its class of projectors
Easy to setup
HDMI input
LED light source, meaning energy savings and less switching bulbs

Cons:
More noisy than other projectors in its class
Wish the resolution could be higher
Menus could be easier to use

Having said the above, and even with the caveats of noisiness, etc., I would still recommend this product. This is because it is brighter than the other projectors I've tried (AAXA M1, and Dell M109S), and brightness is really important for micro projectors.

I would like to say that I've had a very positive experience with AAXA technical support. When I first bought the M2 projector, the projection colour was off, and the AC adapter failed. However, AAXA technical support responded quickly to my email about the malfunction and replaced my projector quickly. Now the system is working fine. The service I received was much better and courteous than others.

So:
(1) There are pros and cons as indicated above and in the other reviews.
(2) My projector was defective at first, but
(3) AAXA technical support was responsive and very nice, gave a free replacement very quickly, and I am satisfied.

I hope these points will help other buyers to come to their own conclusions.

2.0 out of 5 stars so-so, December 10, 2010

Pros:
- 1024x768 resolution

- HDMI\SD\USB connectors

- Tripod

- Small projector

Cons:
- *Very* noisy, looks like there are 2 small fans rotating at crazy rpm. However, after 30 min testing, cold air was coming out from vents (aaxa should have put adjustable rpm fans there, like cpus have). It is so noisy that I can't watch movies with max volume on notebook.

- Huge power adapter. It is 5amps brick, larger than notebooks have.

- Tiny remote and you have to aim really carefully to make it work.

- Image quality\brightness is so-so, you really need to turn off *all* lights if you want to watch a movie.

- Really counter intuitive menu. For example you can navigate only with left\right buttons even when icons are one above another (up\down does not work). Combined with tiny buttons on remote, and that you have to aim really hard - it becomes frustrating trying to control this thing.

- Small things: like rubber lens cap, short VGA cable, cheap plastic look

Max price I would pay for that now is $200.

4.0 out of 5 stars AAXA M2 Review, May 13, 2012

VGA cable (computer)
A joke remote
A toy tripod
Users manual

The projector works well without too many hiccups. I have mine set 13 feet (4 meters) from the screen and it projects an image of about 95 inches (2.4 meters). Of course the room needs to be dark at this range.

The M2 micro projector has a projection angle of 33.4 which means that the diagonal screen size will equal 60% of the distance. There is no adjustment for this angle. The size of the screen is entirely dependent on placement of the projector. At 5 feet the diagonal size of the screen will equal 3 feet (36"). At 10 feet the screen size will be 6 feet (72"). And at 14 feet the screen size reaches it's maximum recommended size of 100".

The resolution is 1024 x 768 and the aspect ratio is 4:3. For movies, 16:9 would be more ideal. For work presentations and for gaming 4:3 is perhaps better. The image quality is good but I have not yet found a setting I like for realistic flesh tones (though this might be more the fault of my cheap projector screen). For image quality I would give the M2 a grade of B-

The menu system is simple and ease to navigate. Controls on the top of the unit are ok for presentations and tabletop setups. The menu includes a setup section, however this setup does not contain any of the adjustments one would expect. To access the real setup features one must use the remote. In the primary onscreen menu the left and right buttons are used to navigate. However, in the sub-menus navigation is with the up and down buttons. The lack of setup control bumps the menu grade down to a C... hey, I am a demanding teacher.

The remote is pathetic in every way. It needs to be pointed EXACTLY at the projector to work. By "exactly" I mean that it needs a rifle scope. I purchased a learning remote and that was somewhat better. I still need to point toward the unit but at least I don't need to eye down the barrel. It can be very annoying to have to look away from the screen and toward the projector to aim the little remote. Anyone buying the M2 projector should also get a learning remote.

The remote is also poorly designed. The lower buttons are similar to the navigation buttons on the top of the projector. Above these primary navigation buttons is another set of navigation buttons and another menu button. This menu is the REAL setup menu and within this the upper navigation buttons are used. Are you getting confused yet? The remote also has dedicated buttons for flipping the image right/left and up/down and keystone buttons. If you ask me these features should have been added to the settings menu instead of the remote but they didn't ask me. This also makes the remote indispensable. One cannot adjust the most essential settings from the projector controls. This might be similar to a television except that a TV remote is easy to replace. What happens if you break or loose the M2 remote? Again, I stress, get and use a learning remote and keep the cheap POS AAXA remote in a safe place. The remote gets an F-

The built in media player plays nearly every video file format I have thrown at it. HD MKV files play, but, at least from an SD card, there is a lag/skip problem. I can't say if this is a limitation of the media player or just of the memory card. In any case the M2 gets an A+ for the media player.

As others have noted, the projector has a relatively loud fan. I have mounted mine inverted near the ceiling above the sofa. The noise of the fan is always noticeable but not really annoying, at least not for my ears, and I have relatively sensitive ears (I cannot understand speech with high background noise). I suppose others with less sensitive ears will be fine as well. I have plugged computer speakers into the M2 and it pumps out plenty of volume. For most movies I have the volume around 50%. 100% would annoy the neighbors.

There are several reasons I chose the AAXA M2 over other projectors. It has a built-in media player and I use my projector largely for videos. It has an long life LED light and I hate the idea of counting the hours I use a projector. It is bright enough for a 100" screen. And the price is right. Now, after using it for a month, I would happily buy it again for the same reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars After about a month with my M2., June 9, 2012
In this world where you have access to almost any media at almost any moment, it is hard to impart the gravity to some media that it rightly deserves. What am I going to do? Have my kids watch Star Wars for their first time on my 42" LCD?! I should think not!

Here is what I decided I needed in a projector:
1) An LED light source. (I didn't want the expense and headache of buying an expensive bulb down the road... assuming it's still available.)
2) An HDMI port. (Digital input is a must to maximize picture quality, and the cable is so easy to use.)
3) As many lumens as I could get.
4) A price tag under $400... $500 max.
5) Better than 680x420 native resolution. (This has 1280x720, that's HD. Not 1080p, but HD. Xvga to be exact.)

In the end I looked at every single projector, LED or not, under $500. There is a lot on the market in that price range. A fair number of toys, some old units, many of the pico projectors, along with some new offerings. After days, and an embarrassing number of hours, spent in sifting through dozens of websites I narrowed it down to the Aaxa M2 here and the Favi Riohd led 4. They are very similar, but this fellow wins because it has 1 gig (closer to 2 in my experience) and it is 70 lumens brighter. That's more than twice a bright.

So far I have used it with:
1) My kids portable DVD player hooked up with RCA cables. (12' diagonal on a table cloth in the living room and the back of the house in the yard.)
2) A DVD player with HDMI cable.
3) My Xbox360 with HDMI cable. (Skyrim, TC Future Soldier and Netflix.)
4) The internal memory.

In every instance I have been completely pleased, really I've been thrilled. The brightness, the contrast, the resolution... it does not disappoint. Keep in mind, the bigger the picture the darker the room will have to be. But I tend to watch movies at night, don't you? At 46"-50" it can be easily seen in a room with the lights on.

I picked up a 15' HDMI CABLE, an extra dvd player with HDMI out, and a 25' 1/8" to 1/8" jack cable all for around $25. In conjunction with my old bookcase stereo this is a really rockin' little unit. (It has speakers, but... mine are better.)

In short. I love this thing. The picture is clear it has all the inputs you could reasonable want and it cost me a bit more than $300. You can spend more (5 or 10 times more) and buy a brighter unit with better resolution. (I bet it's bulb will cost nearly as much as this whole unit.) But this is really a great confluence of function and cost. (I'm streaming BSG at 80" through my Xbox360 on it now, such fun.)

Go ahead, buy it. You'll like it too. (And the kids LOVED Star Wars. At 12'.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Good while worked, but failed twice, July 31, 2012

I was excited when this product first came out and I bought it immediately. within a year it stopped showing an image and in addition the fan had been very loud. The company sent us a new one, as they said their first models had been having fan problems. A year later, the second one has now failed, this time on the video input. We tried the other inputs, and they work, so to trouble shoot we tested 3 video cables and 2 dvd players and it still fails, so it is indeed the projector.

The company has replied saying that it is normal for electronics to fail after 1 or 2 years. I surely do not buy any product with the intent for it to fail after a year. I was very disappointed with this response and the fact that it failed - AGAIN!

While it worked, I was happy, but we have now had 2 projectors fail in 2 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, April 10, 2011
I bought this because me and my wife have started giving powerpoint presentations at our church and wanted something small to go along with my wife's Sony Vaio. After doing some research for something of this form factor I decided to purchase this because of it's different options for imputs and it's resolution, and I'm glad that I did. After I tweaked it's setting,(manual does help much with this), I can honestly say it's quality is much better than expected. I have found myself using it for other reasons than for that which I bought it for, started watching movies and conecting my Wii on it to do my Fit excercises. My pastor found it wonderfull also and is planning on purchasing one herself. Sound is to low but have bought a portable speaker for it, other than that everything I have connected to it, and believe me tried all it's connections, it does it's job very well. Highly recommend for those that are looking for projectors of this form factor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a classroom, May 9, 2011
This projector is fantastic. I am a teacher and have used many projectors but I have gotten sick of buying new expensive bulbs so I thought I would try this one out. It has been amazing. It is small and quiet (the reviews that mention loud fans...I don't know what they are talking about. It is very quiet, the fans are no louder than my previous projectors) and it works great in my classroom. It works best if the lights are low, and I use a set of cheap computer speakers in my classroom.

3.0 out of 5 stars good for the price, if it lasts, January 17, 2011
I've been watching the LED projectors for a couple years now, waiting for the technology to improve to the point of it being worth it to spend the money. This is the first one I've come across that had all the things I was interested in. Near HD resolution, HDMI inputs, and at least 100 lumen light output. After using it for a week I can say I think it was money well spent. The picture is sharp, colors are very crisp, and it's plenty bright enough for me view with a few lamps on. Maybe not as bright as a traditional projector, but who watches movies with all the lights on anyway? As others have said, the fan noise is noticeable, but not any nosier than most projectors. The big plus to these things is not ever having to change bulbs or worry about start up and shut down cycles. So if this thing can last at least 10,000 hours, I will be more than happy.

**Update** 7-17-2012
So I've had this for over a year now and since I was one of the first people to buy it I thought I would give and update.

It's still working great and I've had no problems at all but have noticed some minor inconveniences as mentioned by others. The fan is too loud for me to use with my laptop speakers and the built in speaker is barely audible over the fan noise, so if your traveling with it bring some external speakers. Second, colors from the led aren't as natural looking as with a conventional projector. As a result I find myself constantly adjusting the color and contrast, which can only be done with the remote, so don't lose it!! I lost mine for a month and got so annoyed I just quit using the projector until I found it again.

Skin tones seem to look the most off to me but I've found that projecting on a light grey surface rather than white produces more natural looking color. Other than that all is good!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Pricey, But Left Me and My Buddy Going "WOW", December 17, 2010
Here's a quick review. I just got the projector in today, and we fiddled around with it for about half an hour. I will update this review accordingly, and will definitely be willing to answer any questions you guys have.

PROS:

The obvious pros include the things stated. 100 lumens made it so that we could still see the images, even with all the lights in the room.

The 1024x768 native resolution.

And the most important, VIDEOS:

1) I used this by hooking up our HD Camera, and it played really well. No problems, images came out very clear. We had the projector at least 10"-12" back from the wall, and images were still coming out clear.

2) I wanted to get this projector mainly to play videos, avis. I loaded the avis onto an SD card. More specifically, I loaded FOREIGN films, divx quality. I loaded .srt subtitles within the same folder as the movie. The projector played the subtitle along with the avi.

Movie res was 720x280 25 fps, mpeg4 codec. Video was displayed on the bare wall (White). Projector placed 10-12" from the wall. Did not measure the actual size of image projected, but id guess close to 75". Quality obviously did not appear as crisp as what you would see on your laptop.

CONS:

The fan on this is VERY LOUD. But we hooked external speakers to the unit, and the noise of the fan did not bother us too much. The unit ran very cold (for the 30 minutes we had it on). The surge protector on the other hand was very HOT. This could be a problem later on? I'd keep a close eye on it (off the floor, well ventilated).

I will update this review, the more I play around with this projector. All in all, i am VERY pleased with this. I had no issues with the remote, like Nick mentioned earlier. You do have to aim the remote at the top of the unit, so you can't be at one end of the room and try to use the remote. (almost defeats the purpose of the remote, eh?)

So far the only video format I have tried is divx-avi. I will try mkvs, mp4, etc later, but these formats should play fine from what I've read about it.

I'll try and post a video review. I give it a 4/5. 4 because its a bit pricey, and the fan is way loud.