4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price . . . but . . .
Published 17 months ago by Dan D

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars For the price and lack of "some" functionality...
I looked at many projectors... LED, Pico, portable, full size. I also looked at price... Here's what I learned...

***LED vs LCD...***
Published 7 months ago by Ankush Verma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price . . . but . . ., April 29, 2013
This review is from: AAXA MP-300-02 LED Showtime 3D Pico/Micro Projector with LED, WXGA 1280x800 Resolution, USB Media Player and HDMI Projector (Office Product)
First, my primary purpose for this projector is for watching movies. I was looking for a reasonably priced compact projector for use at home and for when we travel. During the research process, I found that I liked this AAXA b/c of the fact that it is so compact, thumb drives can be used, it has HDMI input, and it has an estimated 20,000 hours of lamp life. I really don't want to have to purchase another projector in the next couple of years, and if my math is correct, and everything goes well, this projector should last me at least 18 years! That is, if I watch one three-hour movie every night - that sounds good to me.

First - Shipping: When I was looking at this projector, Amazon listed the shipping time as up to three-months. I thought that was rather strange since the site also indicated that there were 6 in stock. So, I took the chance and ordered it, anyway. The projector arrived in about a week.

Second – Packaging: I was not very happy with the packaging of the projector. My first thought was that this was a returned-repackaged projector. It came in a plain white box with no manuals, instructions, or literature. The projector, itself, was not even in plastic wrap and the front lens plastic bezel ring was not attached; I was able to easily snap it back into place, though. The projector came with the power cord, remote control, and an AV cable.

Third – performance: I've used the projector a few times and I think it projects a great image. However, there are some things that some might be concerned with. 1) With previous projectors, I've had the capability of setting up the projector at a fixed location and adjusting the screen size on the wall (throw distance). With this projector, you have to move the projector away from the screen/wall until you get to the point that the image fits the screen/wall. 2) The cooling fan is very loud. And I don’t have it set up in the “Boost Brightness Mode”, which is supposed to amp up the fan’s speed, and thus make it even louder. That being said, it has not been too much of a problem since I have external speakers hooked up to the projector. 3) A very big concern I have is with the power adapter box. At the end of a two-hour movie, the box is VERY hot; almost too hot to handle. I can’t recall ever having a power adapter get that hot. I’m wondering if this is a problem, or if this is normal – I’m going to contact the manufacturer to find out.

Overall, the product seems to be working fine. I like having a compact projector for trips and home movie use. I've used this with the HDMI, composite video, and USB inputs and all seem to produce a very clear picture. I've read that HDMI input is not as clear, however, I've not experienced any negative performance issues, myself. The built-in speakers will work in a pinch, although I recommend plugging in external speakers – if you’re watching a movie on the wall, then you probably want better sound than from two small digital speakers trying to compete with the loud fan.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars For the price and lack of "some" functionality..., February 24, 2014

***LED vs LCD...***
---LED projectors have FAR superior lifetime. LED projectors typically have a lifetime of 20,000 to 40,000 hours. LCD projectors, those projectors that use a bulb and then filter the light and pass it through 3 LCD screens for RGB, these have a lifetime ranging about 3,000 to 6,000 hours (before having to replace an expensive bulb that costs a few hundred dollars by itself).
---LED projectors are not as bright, after 700 lumens, the price exceeds $1500, whereas a $500 LCD projectors can emit 3,000 lumens. Keep in mind that light is perceived by the human eye on a logarithmic scale... This means that approximately 2100 lumens will be about twice as bright as a 700 lumen projector.
---For financial reasons, I decided to go with LED, it will last me more than a decade without a hiccup and 700 lumens is bright enough during the day even in a medium size room with a huge window facing north (sun doesn't shine in).

After learning some basics... I was happy with the specs of this projector, but beware a few things... I ended up returning this projector for mainly 2 reasons:
1) The 3D functionality ONLY works with computers and only with specific video cards. I had no intention to use this projector with a computer. This projector will NOT support 3D with HDMI 1.3, which is used by my PS3 (and many other devices) and the main reason I purchased this unit.
2) When focusing the projection coming from my unit, only the top or only the bottom would become completely focused. If the top was focused, the bottom was slightly unfocused and vice versa.
3) After reviewing other projectors, I decided better was available for marginally the same price. I couldn't be happier with the projector that replaced this one for me. Please look into the LG PA75U Slim LED Projector with WXGA Resolution WiDi and Smart TV... This provides more bang for the buck, supports multiple formats of 3D (including ps3), is rock solid, comes with coaxial connectivity with digital TV antennae (tuner is built in), includes a well built carrying case and various adapters. This unit also doubles as a smart TV, no netflix or hulu, but you can use YouTube, Internet, and screen share over wifi with any computer or jailbroken iPhone/android.

Edit: If you decide to buy the LG projector, make sure you get the correct 3D glasses, just search for "DLP link 3d glasses" and you can get one for $20, they need to be DLP Link Active Shutter

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Feb 28, 2014 12:09:15 PM PST
Hi Ankush,

I apologize that you were not fully satisfied with your LED Showtime, we strive to ensure that every customer is fully satisfied.

If you still have the unit, can you please contact us at (714) 957-1999 or info@aaxatech.com so we can do everything possible to help you out.

Thanks,

5.0 out of 5 stars My first projector and I love it!, February 15, 2013
I originally contacted the manufacture to confirm that this projector will suit my needs. After speaking with them for about 15 minutes, I decided to order the projector directly from them because they offered the MHL cable for my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I was impressed by how quickly I got my package from them and opened the package immediately when I got home from work. The projector came in a blank white box with no instructions but the device itself looked solid. I fired up the projector and was able to get my Galaxy Note 2 connect within minutes! Just to make sure I contacted the manufacture again to confirm that I did not get a refurbished item. They explained that all of their LED Showtime projectors come in a blank white box for now.

Now for the actual product review. I purchased this projector for my living room to watch video contents from my laptop and Galaxy Note 2. My first initial impression was that the image was not as crisp as a regular TV but I later found a focus adjustment wheel on the projector! Once I started to mess with the focus adjustment, I was blown away by how nice the image looked with the lights dimmed. I also love how small and lightweight these pico projectors are. I just need to find a carrying case so I don't damage the projector while I carry it to my girlfriends house.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. I was a bit skeptical about spending $500 for a projector but now I feel it was well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second projector from aaxa, February 18, 2013
This is my second projector from aaxa. The first projector I got was the M2 micro projector. Both projectors work to perfection as I use them to do presentations at my workplace. I got this one more to watch movies at home as I love the old vintage style of projecting movies at home. This projector is portable enough for me to bring outside and have a movie party outside in my backyard. I was able to get up to 1080p using my blu-ray player. The video quality was great and the speakers were pretty loud for such a small projector.

The only bad thing about the projector is that when you run the projector at max brightness there is an increase in fan noise. The noise isn't that loud as the speakers should compensate for it while you are watching a movie. However, I suggest to leave it at the regular setting as it is already bright enough to view in a dim lit room. Other than that everything works great and would recommend this to a friend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a big upgrade from P300, March 25, 2014
I previously bought this because the P300 model i bought had some focus inconsistency issues. However after receiving this model, i realized it had the same issue as well. Returned it after a few days.

Pros (Over P300):
Bigger projection screen size
3D option (as far as i know 3D is only available in 4:3 aspect ratio)

Cons (Over P300):
Its not much brighter than p300, brightness increase is barely noticeable
Picture quality is the same
Slightly bigger and heavier, not much of a concern though
Much more Louder, even in normal mode. Its way too loud in brightness mode
Remote has NO vertical keystone correction button. Had to go to settings menu and set the keystone
Has no ceiling mode, as in you cannot invert your image if your projector is mounted upside down in the ceiling (had to invert the image from my Mac settings)
Does not come with tripod
Bulky power adapter
Had flickering issues when connected to a Mini-Display port to HDMI adapter. My P300 has no issue

Overall if you are deciding between the P300 and this, definitely go for the P300 if you don't need a bigger screen and 3D. Its much cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, August 5, 2013
I really recommend this Projector. Works better than I expected. It is a little noisy but the purchase is worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, July 31, 2013
We recently remodeled our back yard and included wiring for HDMI (audio and video). we also have dual signal Pioneer receiver in the front room, where the HDMI feed is being taken from via splitter (this allows us to either watch the same show or two shows on two TVs).

We didnt want an outdoor TV due to the cost and to the fact that living in Arizona, the last thing i want to do is buy something else to dust off and that would just sit outside unused in the 2-3 hottest months.

So we opted for a projector TV. This project is great. It took no time to plug in and have it working, but it did take to figure out how to adjust the image on screen. Again, the auto adjust is not quite meant for the TV HDMI feed, so we had to position it just right to feet the projector screen (we had it set up on a camera tripod). The initial set up could have been a little easier, or come with some sort of healpful instructions, but once it's set up, its bright without being "see through", clear and only has a couple of funcional buttons. We do have sound coming through a 4 poiint outdoor speaker set up, but we tried using the projector sound. In most cases we have the projector sound turned off and use the 4 point speakers, but the projector sound comes handy when watching a movie and needing that 5th speaker. :) Also, very nice to be able to play a slide show from a computer feed with some background music. Works beautifully with my ipad as well (just need the apple HDMI adaptor).
greatest thing is the size. it's about as small and light as a paperback book, which makes it super easy to store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Bright, Great alternative to the Optoma ML500, March 29, 2013
We had an Optoma ML500 in the office and it worked fine until someone took it home and dropped it down the stairs... Upon being tasked to find an alternative I found that this projector is only 50 lumens less but was more than $40 cheaper. As it was a newer model there wasnt any reviews but the other AAXA products got some good reviews so I went ahead and took a chance on the brand I was unfamiliar with.

No issues with the unit, its slightly smaller than the ML500 and nobody in the office seems to notice the 50 lumen difference. We typically connect to it via hdmi to whoever is presenting that day with their tablet or laptop. Would highly recommend this product. Other items I looked into were the viewsonic PLED w500 and the Qumi Q5 but both cost even more than the ML500.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Poor HDMI connection, November 27, 2013
Great projection capability but HDMI connection doesn't work properly. Unable to identify a Google Chromecast nor a ROKU 2. Had to send it back. Hopefully they sort the connection issues soon. The quality of the projection looks great, but what is the use if you cannot connect your devices?

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 29, 2014 2:49:18 PM PST
Hi M. Marquez,

Were you able to resolve this issue?

AAXA Technologies

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, works with MacBook Air (needs cable), January 21, 2014
I got this to use for brief meetings in typical conference rooms. It works OK for that if the room is slightly darkened (e.g., shades pulled or bright lights turned off). In many conference rooms, you can just turn off half of the lights and this will work fine.

To use it, you will need to supply some kind of cable to connect your computer. In my case, I wanted to connect a MacBook Air, and thus used a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable.

Getting the Mac to recognize it was slightly tricky the first time; had to select the projector for external HD input, and then go to Mac system properties "displays", mirror the displays, and reduce resolution to 720p. For some reason it did not show a constant display but blinked on and off. However, after disconnecting it and trying again, it worked fine and continues to do so every time so far (about half a dozen times at this point). There is no longer any need to mess with the Mac settings, but the projector requires selecting the external input. It would be nicer if it recognized the input automatically.

Another wish is that it had a remote control. Using the buttons on top is adequate but a remote would be better.

The picture quality seems perfectly good enough for business presentations. Just focus the slides using the controller and presentations will look good. The keystone feature is nice for business slides, as it automatically makes the picture "square" even when projecting upward from an angle on a table.

Overall, I'm very happy with it and would buy again for portable business usage.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›