Customer Discussions > 10,000 Days forum

ABSOLUTE FAILURE AT ALL LEVELS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2006 9:35:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 17, 2009 1:13:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 9:40:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2006 9:41:02 AM PDT
Heh...so she wept - says a lot more about her than about the album. Personally I think the album is better than Lateralus and extremely good. And you know what? It really grew on me after 20 listens...(well actually I just needed 3 or 4 to recognize this as a masterpiece, but whatever...). Even *if* this album is a decoy it's just amazing...ah well - keep on weeping...

- trikztar

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 9:44:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 23, 2009 1:10:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 9:50:55 AM PDT
Well, I have this album since last week... don't ask me how. I like some parts of it a lot (Vicarious is a great song as is Right in Two) and there are certainly some obscure areas (Viginti Tres i.e.) that do not match my expectations.

Now, to say that the album is a failure, well, I respectfully disagree. I admit that my expectations were higher, but not to that level.

Carlos Ch.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 10:19:55 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 23, 2009 1:09:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 10:49:22 AM PDT
Sorry Matt, but I still disagree. Taste is taste... I know Tool well and I know what I like about them and what I despise. Your observations on discography are quite interesting, thank you.

I did not feel completely hopeless dissapointment the first time I listened to this record (I actually listened to it on my car, I could not wait to get home to do this). My toughts are roughly the same now (after quite a few listenings) than what they were the first time: excellent start, going downhill and then up again towards the end and then to the absolute low of the disc.

Since this IS Tool, I cannot really kill the whole content because there are some absolutely out of line songs. There's still something to salvage here.

Not their best as a WHOLE ALBUM by a long shot! But with at least a couple highlights that can be noticed. Perhaps they should have made another OPIATE with the best of this? Perhaps, perhaps...

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 12:44:08 PM PDT
It's unbelievable to me how some of you have commented here thinking that your opinions are facts; They're not.

I personally feel that 10,000 Days IS the best LP produced by Tool. It's not hard to see that Tool is constantly growing in talent and experimenting with that talent. The point is that Tool's music is not for you, it's for them. Tool's music is not going to be made the way YOU want it to be made. The tracks are written by those who have something to say, and not for those who need something to hear. That's the method that builds legends and 10,000 days is that much closer to making an imprint in the music world then any other album in their history.

Here is the REAL comparison of their earlier albums:

Opiate: A low-budget production of a band with a unique sound and seemingly unbelievable potential.

Undertow: With a larger budget and paired with a new production and engineering team, Tool had embraced the studio environment and adapted their compositions and arrangements to better suit their new sound.

Aenima: After the success of Undertow, an even larger budget was acquired. The same production and engineering team was brought in and this time with much more (5 years) digital experience under their belts. Reverse fades, Flangers on drums, and other "not so common" techniques were introduced to harness the originality of Tool.

Lateralus: Yet another 5 years of production and engineering experience was collected and shown on this LP. Maynard seems to let go of his boyish voice and deepens for this LP. The whole album seems a little more bass heavy, but unfortunately, Lateralus follows Aenima and some fear that Tool will now always sound the same.

10,000 Days: Breaking the mold. A new production team was brought in to remedy the similarities between Lateralus and Aenima. The album was mostly recorded live. 10,000 Days is THE most expressive of the lot. Maynard brings back his boyish voice for "The Pot" almost as if he's trying to prove he can. The bridge between Lateralus and this Lp can be seen from tracks 1 - 3. They have much to say in this LP and offer you nothing else but the need to listen to understand.

I recommend for those who don't understand 10,000 Days to listen to it with headphones on and eyes closed. The music is so rich and deep that it almost feels tangable, and that doesn't make it one of the best Tool albums ever... That's a quality that could make it one of the best albums of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 1:06:07 PM PDT
band liker says:
Dear Matthew Tassos,

Please stop crying. Get some Johnson's baby shampoo - No more tears!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 1:12:06 PM PDT
band liker says:
Oh yeah, to give credit where it's due I cribbed that last bit of Maddox. But dude, how well do you know Tool lol, you actually are putting your opinion forward as fact, trying to influence that other guy, whatever happened to "think for yourself". So you don't like it... shame.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 1:25:07 PM PDT
band liker says:
Haha, Matthew Tassos I salute you, I finally see what you're doing here! You're a comedian, it's so devilishly simple! You know what I would actually pay money to see you live crying on stage. In fact hopefully Tool will ask you to support them so that when I'm there on June 14th in London all the "real" Tool fans can have a good old laugh at you. You're a funny funny guy. Do you cry when your mummy won't give you money for ice cream too? or how about when you have to tidy your room? This is you; "Mom!!! You Idiot! I'm 35 years old I don't have to do what you tell me anymore! I'm going to my basement to listen to some more Metalicca!!!" Except the way you say it is alot dorkier. Don't say anything in response, your opinion is wrong, anything you could say is wrong, and all that jazz...But actually do say something cos i'd love to see what you have to say.

Cheers for making my night though. Seriously some of your quality one liners should go in a Chirstmas cracker or something;

"Opiate= outstanding but short record that started the first movement of musicians who actually try."

What does that actually mean? All musicians try, whether they try hard is another matter but... woah, where do you get off? I suppose jimi hendrix was just pissing about lol, just for laughs.

Also your friend who cried, haha, i'd love to meet you freaks some time. Real big fan-boys huh, well I have Tool tattooed on my sack, beat that!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 2:01:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2006 2:09:51 PM PDT
I saw them sunday night at coachella...YOU SUCK.Mathew....TOOL kicked so much butt no one else who played that weekend could even touch the tool set....The new Album is better than anything yet, and the 5 plus year wait for new stuff is well worth it...you just have some kinda petty gruge......grow up...

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 2:14:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 23, 2009 1:11:41 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 2:28:44 PM PDT
B. Gay says:
If you are going to whine at least learn to press to type.....You are the idiot that Tool sings about in most of their early music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 2:49:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 23, 2009 1:12:31 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 2:53:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 23, 2009 1:14:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 4:56:57 PM PDT
Reviewer says:
"no, you are"
(^Where did you bring this from? 5th Grade?)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Matthew!
Silence you uncut philistine! You have no taste in music and I cast that Nickelback demon out of you, in the NAME OF MAYNARD!

Now go home and think about what utter crap you posted, you bad little boy. Leave us and we shall all ruminate over your ridiculous opinion and celebrate our 10,000 Day victory.

-angercologist

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 5:16:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2006 5:18:40 PM PDT
Mr. Pimpson says:
Hey...

you know Lateralus was a "spiritual record" right? I mean, I'm gonna let you stick with your opinion, but at least make sense when you say something. I really don't understand why all you guys are so disappointed with this record. Here's how I view TOOL's progression, it's not TOOL trying to top it's last album with even better use of the same style, they progress by changing their style, changing dynamics, and getting smarter. That's why each CD is still a work of art, because they never topple over the greatness they had on their last CD. They just add to their repertoire and try to push themselves forward.TOOL is the most substantial band I know of. Their music could be cut through with a knife, and that's what makes TOOL, TOOL. Also, don't say TOOL wasted their ability on the packaging, it's only there to enhance the beauty that is 10,000 Days. If you dont think 10,000 Days (the song) is one of the most moving songs in the world, then you're just some dumbass metalhead who likes Slipknot and watches Fuse.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 6:07:12 PM PDT
"It's unbelievable to me how some of you have commented here thinking that your opinions are facts; They're not. [...] Here is the REAL comparison of their earlier albums: "

Are you implying YOUR opinion is fact.......

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2006 10:43:27 PM PDT
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You guys are sooooo funny. It's just a freakin' album. Matthew over there may be a whiny little munky who can't tell his ass from a handbasket, but the rest of you aren't any better. No one needs to defend TOOL. Let them defend themselves with their music. If someone doesn't like it, so what, let their stupid ass whine... They just want attention. If you don't like it, take it up with TOOL instead of posting it on a freaking amazon.com board. You think your whiny ass showing itself up and defending itself from bitter defeat at a mainstream online bookstore's message board is going to make TOOL re-evaluate?

wAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2006 12:47:24 PM PDT
band liker says:
Matthew Tassos, learn to understand that the issue here was never to do with liking or not liking the new album, it was about the complete and utter crap which you continually spew forth from your train-wreck of a brain, who cares if some people like being "force fed" music. You continue to amaze me man; "please refrain from stealing yoru witty retorts", last time I checked it's not plaguerism if you give credit to the original author, I was merely using a quotation to further back up my undeniable argument that you need to stop crying. Also "witty", lol I think you've forgotten what witty means you silly little sausage, I wasn't trying to be witty, just saying stuff me and my dumb friends can laugh at, honestly what are you like? The only reason you don't have "tool" on your sack is cos you tried to get it done but they told you it wasn't big enough, and then I would imagine you cried some more.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2006 6:21:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2006 6:22:31 AM PDT
First I decided to let this one go, but what the heck...Well, I'll try to explain it to you as simple as possible: 1. Turn on your stereo. 2. Insert the cd in your cd player. 3. Press play. 4. Voila - you now listen to Tool. 5. Press "stop" once the song has finished, so you only listen to a "single tool song", as you said.
As for the Nickelback comment, I can honestly say "no" to that. However, I do listen to Pink Floyd, which obvious retards like yourself probably have never even heard of...
"Clone"? Is that the best you can do? As bandliker said - this is not about liking the music or not. It's about you trying to gag us with your know-all-about-Tool and therefore-I'm-right-attitude. Please spare me - I think someone mentioned it earlier, but you really sound like the person Maynard sings about in Hooker With A Penis...ah well...(and yes, I know who he really sings about, so don't bother).

"DOLLY"

- trikztar

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2006 11:26:53 AM PDT
Just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't make them WRONG. This is a tenant of something called " Having an open mind...." A very mysterious and wonderful idea... You should seriously look into it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2006 12:13:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2006 12:16:08 PM PDT
Tassos, you're absolutely right. I can't fathom how people could actually say that this record is Tool's best. That is a crime and so is 10,000. I disagree that Tool didn't even try, because I really think they were trying to put together something really unique and still keep their signature sound. Problem is, they failed miserably. There are 3, maybe 4 songs on this album that I could listen to over and over, the rest is subpar at best. It is kind of a shame when you think about 5 years have passed and this is the best they came up with. Anyone who thinks this album is the best of them all either hasn't listened to their other albums, or are totally into soundscapes and atmospheric music which is cool.

PS I f'n HATE it when people retaliate to responses by commenting on spelling and grammar, give me a break.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2006 8:21:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2006 8:26:33 PM PDT
Ornitorrinco says:
I think the new Tool album is just ok, as it was Lateralus and Undertow (Opiate is sub standard, although tool groupies and fans tend to worship it just because it's put out by Tool, just like the Nirvana fans did with Bleach...). AEnima remains as _the_ Tool album to date. It would have been to hard for the Tool guys to overcome the quality and comercial succes of that record, on the other hand, to have recorded a "Re-aenima", "AEnimated", "AEnima Relodaded" or even "AEnima with a Vengeance" would have been a major dissapointment. Somehow, Tool now self promotes themselves as a progressive metal (when journalist calls them that way in interviews they do not tend to specify they are not progressive musicians), and, the first rule of progressive music is to progress, something Tool began doing since before they began being called "prog", a proof of it is the differences (not extreme, anyway) between "Undertow", "AEnima" and "Lateralus".

Now, it is very amusing to read comments from teenager fans (I sincerely hope, they are 18 or less years old, because the comments of guys like this Matthew What's His Name are so puerile that doesn't deserve to be even considered), it is amusing to read how people complains because something, today a music record, is "bad" because it didn't meet their expectatives about it. If you were expecting a rainy day and you get sun, and then you wine... shame on you, you deserve every tear because you are nothing but a kid, maybe a 25 years old kid.

Thins like saying that AEnima was "the most perfect record ever made" just help to demonstrate that this person doesn't know much about music, and calling "Opiate" an "outstanding record" tell us that he is nothing but groupie.

10,000 Days is just a good record (I specially liked Vicarious and Jambu). Good, nothing less and nothing more than the prior Tool albums.

Don't feed the Troll What His Name!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2006 1:11:14 PM PDT
wow, i diddnt know they sold tool in communist china. This albumn is great. people who think tool should stick with a certain sound should just stick with creed. tool is all about vulnerability and new ideas. Tool would suck if everything still sounded like opiate. Thats fine to not like tool, in fact i doubt tool would like you. Tool doesnt want "sheep fans". its all about expanding your comfortable levels of enjoyment, its totally understandable that close minded people are going to have a rough time figuring the new albumn out, and we wont blame you for being a close minded communist, its your right as a human.

This is the greatest albumn tool has to date. And my fingers are crossed that the may 16th release will include some bonus stuff, whether its a few extra songs or the much waited for DVD.

If your intelligent, you will love this albumn!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  10,000 Days forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  May 2, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
10,000 Days
10,000 Days by Tool (Audio CD - 2006)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (1,154)