Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: AC/DC: Let There Be Rock (Limited Collector's Edition)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

on May 2, 2003
Let There Be Rock is the 1979 concert in Paris put on by the legendary rock band AC/DC with their original lead singer Bon Scott. The concert was in support of the album Highway To Hell and a year later Bon would be dead and AC/DC would have the biggest seller of there carear with Back In Black, but this one's about Bon.
The video is a blend of concert fottage and interviews with the band.
The set list includes some of the bands hits like Highway To Hell, Rocker, Sin City, and Whole Lotta Rosie. Watching this vid really puts you up close with the band and gives you an insight as to the inner workings.
The interviews and back stage fottage is a double edge sword becouse as usual Bon and Lead guitarist Angus Young give the bulk of the interviews. Some of the questions borderline on inane like "Are you waiting for the third world war?", seem very foolish and forced but the movie has its moments of fun. The on stage fottage is fantastic and Bon comes off as both charming and affable. Angus and Malcolm Young (Angus's brother and backing guitar) along with Drummer Phill Rudd and Bassist Cliff Williams work in such perfect harmony with each other that it's not hard to see why AC/DC has such staying power.
By the end of the movie however you can't help but feel a little sad becouse after watching the movie you really feel that you got to know Bon well and knowing that he passed away a short time latter makes you feel for the loss suffered by not only the family and friends of Bon but by the music world all togeather.
88 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 29, 2011
5/29/11 just picked this up at Second Spin (not sure why they had a copy so early but I wasn't asking questions). The reason I'm rating this 4 stars is that this limited set is WAY over priced. The blue ray inside is going to be available without the small prints and over blown essay and tin container and THAT at a nice price would be 5 stars.

GOOD NEWS..the movie looks wonderful and sounds awesome... its only 1:33 aspect ratio so no widescreen which I'm assuming was the format they shot it.

BORING NEWS... the endless talking head extras add nothing and I'm a guy who loves behind the scenes bonus features but these are a series of 10 minute videos of writers and the odd musician saying how great AC/DC is ...how their riffs make your private parts shake and you want to tap your foot and it gets old in about a minute. This is a perfect example of taking what could be done in 10 minutes and stretching it out into an hour just to up the price with "cool insider bonuses" SNORE.

DON'T hate me for my 4 star rating...its ONLY for the LIMITED Collector's edition over priced set....anything else 5 stars ALL THE WAY....it is Great to have Bon Scott in HD!!! OH ..and its "Limited" to 90,000 copies...such a rare item
It DOES have a DVD version included which is nice , but I still believe at its list price its not a 5 star value for a few pictures and a booklet with kindergarten size print to add pages.

Warner Brothers suckered me into this kind of version of Casablanca ....only to come out with a NON box set later and that is the one I'd recommend...you have to have this by the way if you love Rock n Roll!
55 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 1999
This is old school AC/DC. Back in Black was just an idea in their bourbon-clouded heads at this point. But for hard core, blue-infused, heart-thumping, good old rock, this is it. There is an old saying about the Grateful Dead that applies equally to AC/DC in this era....."They aren't the best at what they do. They're the only ones that do what they do." Guns-n-Roses, Mettalica, Tool and others have tried but have gotten caught up in their own hype (and started singing f'in ballads of all things!!). If you need proof that AC/DC influenced a generation of bands, watch this video after a few shots of Jack. This band fought tooth and nail against the conventions of long-haired rockers that have screwed up their simple formula. Play simple songs. Play them well. Play them LOUD. And remember.....it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock-n-roll!!!
on November 23, 2002
Since I've retired my VCR and turned to the DVD side of The Force, "AC/DC: Let There Be Rock" really needs to be on the new format. This video is a true rock classic and a must-have for any serious AC/DC fan.
Filmed in Paris from one of the band's last concerts with legendary screamer Bon Scott, "Let There Be Rock" shows why AC/DC was recently labeled by Q Magazine as "The #1 Band You Must See Before You Die". The sheer energy and ferociousness of Angus Young's performance is truly a wondrous sight to behold. And the rest of the band keeps chugging along with an intensity that few rock bands have had either before AC/DC's late 1970's/early 1980's heyday or since.
The interviews are pointless, but amusing to see Angus & Co. get more and more fluthered as the film goes on. In particular, Bon Scott displays his legendary charm (and his forgettable stage wardrobe). Scott's charm might come as a surprise to the casual onlooker, particularly for a man who penned Shakespearean sonnets like "Big Balls", "Beating Around the Bush" and "Up to My Neck in You".
No matter, I once showed this video to my twentysomething neighbor who listened to nothing but 2Pac and the Wu-Tang Clan. He quickly became an AC/DC convert after laughing hysterically at Angus' on-stage antics and being wowed by his incredible guitar virtuosity.
Once again, this video is a must for serious AC/DC fans and the only reason it didn't get five stars was due to its unavailability on DVD. Come on! Get with the program!
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2005
This is absolutely the best concert film of this band, and it is screaming for a remastering/sound touch-up. I went to alot of concerts in my younger days, and this video makes me nostalgic for that time, when a band just plugged in and ROCKED. Let's get this on a nice 5.1 surround DVD! If you like AC/DC, you have to find this. I bought mine at one of the locals thst still had a few video tapes for 5.99! Glad I grabbed it.
55 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2014
I ave been a long time fan of AC/DC and I have seen them in concert as well but I was too young to see them during Bon Scott's reign. So here we have the video, Let there be Rock, which I believe it was once referred to as a "movie". It is Bon's last concert before passing away a short while afterwards. This collector's edition comes with loads of stuff, like postcards, a guitar pick, a booklet and not to mention extras on the video itself! And speaking (typing?) of the video, it is in HD 1080p but not in widescreen. That is the only minor issue I have. It makes the whole "experience" seem a bit limited. What I mean is that the sound, the video quality, and the overall power of AC/DC seems almost diminished by the lack of widescreen; it definitely reminds me that I am watching through a window to the past. Still, I think it is a great value for the die hard fans or anyone who loves great rock music!
on June 13, 2011
First of all, the movie is great. I consider Bon Scott to be the best rock frontman that ever lived. So if you are getting this for the movie, you will not be disappointed. The extras, on the other hand, are very weak. All the extra "footage" is other peoplt talking about AC/DC. I expected more real video of Bon and the band. I would have gladly paid $20 for just the movie instead of having to buy this "collectors" edition.
on July 30, 2011
Maybe my ears aren't the best, but contrary to other reviews I thought the audio quality was fine. Not great, but considering the age of the film perfectly acceptable. I turned up the refresh rate on my 46" LCD and I was blown away by how "live" the performance seemed. Cheesy production values on some of the it, but inline with concert vids from the early 80's. Well worth the money if you're a true AC/DC fan.
on October 6, 2011
If, when you think of AC/DC, you think of Bon Scott as the singer (like I still do),you have to get this one. No disrespect to Brian Johnson but, this was AC/DC at their peak. The Blu Ray video is fantastic and the DTS sound track sounds awesome! This is AC/DC in all their youthful sweat and glory! If you're a post Bon Scott era fan, get it and mourn for what you missed.
on September 18, 2014
I bought this for my son who is himself an accomplished musician.. Like him, I found this Band to be one of the great touring and recording bands of it's genre.. Bon Scott was a real good front man.. To bad he passed away.. His successor fit right in.. I recommend this and other AC/DC LIVE DVDs.. They put their hearts and souls into their performances.. How many bands will stand the test of time.. In my opinion, not to many.. One of the bands that will is the FOO FIGHTERS.. AC/DC's music will be blasted out of clubs, Arenas and peoples houses and cars for many years to come. Unlike most of today's bands, AC/DC and their great tunes will be remembered long after these " fly by nighters" are long forgotten.. Well done guys.. From my friends and I in Ridgecrest,Ca. Thanks for the music and the memories...