Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on September 2, 2012
First of all, I have no personal connection or interest or even knowledge of the company that manufactures this charger, so please rest assured that this is indeed an objective review.

Second, much of this review details the rationale I use to debunk the claims made by the negative reviewers. If you're not interested in this, just scroll down right now to the part of the review between the rows of asterisks below.

Furthermore, I rarely write product reviews but I felt compelled to do so for this product, because, from what I can tell based on the numerous 1-star reviews for it (some of which are barely literate, which automatically begs the question of how thoughtful or reliable their authors are), it is being unfairly panned not because of product defectiveness but due instead to a confluence of two factors: (a) poor product design on the part of BARNES & NOBLE, not the manufacturer of this charger (whose name I don't even know; I'm guessing they're making these things on the cheap somewhere in the hinterlands of China), and (b) mental laziness / lack of faith on the part of the above-mentioned 1-star reviewers.

Just as importantly, it really rankles me that B&N is literally raking in at least 1000% profit on these chargers, as demonstrated by the fact that this dinky $2.99 (INCLUDING shipping, mind you) charger, happily charging the Nook Color on my desk as I write this, works just as flawlessly as the official B&N charger that came with my Nook Color (which I somehow misplaced during a recent move), which they are charging $30 + shipping to replace. What rankles me even further is the fact that the clever people over at B&N clearly designed these chargers purposefully to discourage OEM manufacturers from mimicking them, since they could have easily gone with a simple micro-USB charging system, instead of this slightly-almost-micro-USB-but-not-quite version that is absolutely-definitely-positively not compatible with your run-of-the-mill, dime-a-dozen micro-USB charger.

Combine that with the oft-cited customer complaint that these B&N chargers have a habit of crapping out prematurely, and you have yourself a tidy little money-making scheme, as far as I'm concerned. Not quite fraudulent, since of course they have the right to design their device any way they please, but decidedly underhanded. Granted, to their credit they do offer replacements for these free of charge if the device is within the one-year warranty period, but how many people are throwing away their Nook Colors after only a year of use?

Bear in mind that what I describe below is a hypothesis, since I have no proof that the reviewers leaving negative reviews did not, in fact, all receive defective chargers, while the sizable contingent of 4 & 5-star reviewers all received working ones. While this is theoretically plausible, it seems much less likely than the hypothesis I am about to propose, for the simple reason that these chargers clearly do not require an MIT-trained faculty of electrical engineers to produce. They are just plain old micro-USB chargers with a slightly longer male connector (the shiny metal thing at the small end of the cord) than normal, which is the modification B&N made to their charger design *precisely* to render their Nook Colors incompatible with run-of-the-mill micro-USB chargers.

Which brings me to the first part of my argument, which is that all the reviewers who contemptuously dismiss the charger out of hand and "toss it in the junk drawer because it looks like an old cell phone charger" are missing the point entirely. THIS CLEARLY **IS** A MODEL BASED ON AN OLD CELL PHONE CHARGER, JUST WITH THE CONNECTOR SLIGHTLY ELONGATED TO FIT THE NOOK COLOR. That's why it's so cheap!! So you can dismiss the negative reviews based on this rationale as entirely baseless & irrelevant.

The thornier issue is: why are there so many people claiming that they tried using the charger but it didn't work? I believe I can provide some insight into this, because I was nearly fooled myself. The problem lies in the design of the Nook Color itself. Back when I had the standard-issue charger, I relied on the handy little green-glowing "n" at the end of the charger to tell me that an electrical current was in fact being delivered. Since these OEM knock-offs don't have that feature (though it does have the old-school-cell-phone-charger little red LED on the plug end), you have to rely on the Nook Color itself to tell you that it's charging. Here's where the problem lies, at least when you've got a Nook Color that has completely drained its battery, as I did.

[A side note: human nature dictates that 'completely drained' is probably the condition of the Nook Colors (Nooks Color?) belonging to most if not all of the purchasers of this or any replacement charger, especially if you've lost yours, because you're probably going to hold out hope that "it'll turn up somewhere" before shelling out money for a brand-new one.]

So the problem is as follows: when your Nook Color runs completely out of juice, its screen will go completely black. Then, if you try to turn it on, it will display a dim, barely perceptible image of a battery symbol & plug symbol, which is obviously its way of telling the user that it needs to be plugged in & re-charged. However, the image that's displayed when it IS plugged in & charging, BUT BEFORE IT'S DRAWN ENOUGH POWER INTO THE BATTERY TO FULLY TURN ON, is almost identical. There's nothing that says "unit is currently charging, please wait until battery is sufficiently charged before attempting to turn on" or anything to that effect. So, unless you're paying close attention, you will plug in this OEM charger, see this image, reasonably conclude that the Nook Color is not charging, which will immediately confirm your already high index of suspicion that the price was too good to be true & the knock-off charger is in fact a piece of crap.

However, I did notice this slight difference, which persuaded me to give the charger the benefit of the doubt instead of tossing it straight into the trash as I probably would have done otherwise (after all, it only cost me $2.99, so what have I really lost?). So, I instead left the Nook Color plugged in overnight & attempted, still admittedly skeptical, to turn it on the following morning. Lo & behold, the Nook Color was fully charged! I have since used this charger many times & it always works like a charm.

IN CONCLUSION, if your Nook Color is totally drained, give this charger the benefit of the doubt! If you have a Nook Color with a completely drained battery, this is how to tell if it's actually charging when you plug it in:

When you try to turn it on & it's not charging, it will briefly flash (in white against an otherwise black screen) a battery symbol with a line drawn through it, and underneath this will be a small plug symbol with an arrow pointing to a small lightning bolt symbol. Then it will automatically shut back down. This means the battery is drained & you have to plug it in to charge it before it will work again.

HOWEVER, if you try to turn it on when it's plugged in BUT BEFORE IT'S CHARGED ENOUGH TO TURN BACK ON, the Nook Color displays a slightly different symbol before it shuts back down automatically: you will see the same small plug, arrow & lightning bolt, but instead of the battery, you will see an exclamation mark inside a triangle, kind of like a "yield" traffic sign. This means the battery is charging, but doesn't have enough juice yet to turn the device back on.

In short:

DEAD BATTERY SYMBOL = NOT CHARGING & not enough battery to turn on.

TRIANGLE EXCLAMATION MARK = CHARGING & still not enough battery to turn on.

Thus, if you see the triangle exclamation mark symbol when your Nook Color is plugged in using this OEM charger, that means THE CHARGER IS WORKING, just be patient! Give it enough time to charge & eventually you will be able to turn the Nook Color back on. Once you've charged it up enough to turn it on, I've found you can operate it while it's plugged in, even with a mostly drained battery. Might help to turn down the brightness a little bit to conserve energy in this case.

Okay, good deed done for the day. On to finding some other way to procrastinate....
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2011
This item does not work for Nook Color, it is a phone charger however, it does work to charge cell phones with mini usb plugs. It does not have the right pin out for a Nook Color charger. is a cheap price for an extra phone charger.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2013
Many reviews said this charger didn't work, but I decided to try it anyway as the price was great ($2.50) compaired to the nook replacement charger that cost $25. I plugged it in and on the nook it said it wasn't charging so I thought that the other reviews were right. I left it on the nook and later went back to take it off and I found that it had charged the nook. It works even it says it is not charging. Great product and I'm going to order another to have on hand because the input for the nook is a terrible setup and the prong keeps breaking. I had 2 original nook chargers and now this one. The nook is only a year and a half old. You should not need 3 chargers in 1 1/2 years. This does work so don't believe the negative reviews.
on January 3, 2012
I ordered two because my nook charger part/usb cable that the fit into the nook broke.
Both wall chargers I received from electromasters appeared to work but did not charge the nook. I had to get a new charger from Barnes & Noble. Lucky for me my nook was still under warranty. The charger cable from Barnes & Noble worked.
on December 3, 2012
$0.99 cents - what more can I say? Arrived quickly, didn't pay much for it. Perfectly charged the Nook! So happy to be reading on the nook again!
on July 30, 2012
Good product. Works just as expected to recharge my Barnes and Noble Nook Color.
Works as well as the original equipment.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2012
I was disappointed with this charger as I had misunderstood the listing. I had thought this was an actual B&N charger for the Nook instead of an OEM product. They responded quickly and made this transaction right. I am very impressed with this company
on March 31, 2014
This is false advertising . it didn't fit my Nook and I had to mail it back! Should have orderd fr Barnes and Noble. Don't waste you time or money like I did mine.
on January 14, 2014
Don't you just love it when people don't bother to read a product description, then give a 1-star review for their ignorance? That is the case here. But I digress...

I bought this to charge a NOOK 1ST EDITION. It WORKS. It even has a little light to show its working!

If you're not sure, the 1st Edition has the color touchscreen on the bottom, and the e-ink screen on the top. For the price this is an amazing deal. A Nook charger from B&N is like $30. This is less than $1. I almost didn't buy it because of its low rating, but after reading the reviews I realized the only thing wrong here are the reviewers. They need to put more effort into the purchase BEFORE they click 'buy'. Charges Nook, arrived quickly - I can only give 5 stars.
on December 9, 2013
This DOES charge our nook color, but it is slower that the original charger the nook came with. However, those original ones are such a rip off I refused to pay $25+ for one. I think they are literally made to break. I have had 2 do the same thing where the silver part breaks off. So I was pleased to fine that this is an adequate replacement for a fraction of the cost. Keep an eye on the price, I paid $6, but I think it was more like $3 a few weeks before.