Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ACETA-GESIC PAIN TABLETS::RUG Size: 100
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 27, 2010
These are a generic of the original formula of PERCOGESIC, an over the counter pain reliever, not PERCOCET, a prescription narcotic pain reliever. This would not be covered by insurance as it is over the counter. It is a combination of the active ingredient in Tylenol, as well as phenyltoloxamine, an antihistamine. The new formulation of Percogesic is watered down Tylenol PM, acetaminophen and diphenhydramine(Benadryl). The makers of Percogesic try to confuse the matter by putting "original strength" on their new formula. To my knowledge this is the only generic of the original Percogesic still on the market. I had bought a different brand from amazon that is no longer available. I like this formulation better than the new product. The only reason that I gave it only 4 stars is that it is hard to swallow. The other generic I had bought previously was coated and went down easily. These are bigger tablets and uncoated. Nevertheless, I hope they keep making them. They are much cheaper than the brand name and to me are more effective than Tylenol PM and the generics thereof.
44 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2010
Very pleased to find that this product contains the same active ingredients (acetaminophen 325mg, phenyltoloxamine citrate 30mg) as the original, old formula of Percogesic (no longer available).

Aceta-Gesic is a good buy and an effective formula for this consumer's migraines and other aches and pains. Thanks, Rugby, for keeping this formulation available!

****Update! It appears that Rugby has discontinued this formula and it is no longer available, that I can see. Rugby seems to have changed to the new Percogesic formula, again, without any notice to the user as to the change of ingredients. My thanks are retracted, Rugby.
review image
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2011
I am so thankful for Aceta-Gesic! I was doing fine with Percogesic until the company changed the formula! Now, Percogesic is basically just like Tylenol PM, which doesn't do a thing for my nighttime pains. The original formula for Percogesic contained acetaminophen and phenyltoloxamine citrate, now it's just acetaminophen and diphenhydramine hci. Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient in Benadryl. All this does is give me restless legs at night! The Aceta-Gesic pills aren't as rounded and coated as Percogesic, but the company I purchased them from made that obvious by showing a side-by-side comparison (which I greatly appreciated!). I hope Aceta-Gesic does not change their formula OR maybe Percogesic will change theirs back!
on March 14, 2011
I took Percogesic for years, as they had an ingredient called phenyltoloxamine citrate that made me a little drowsy, but not "wired", and helped me sleep. Then one day I began to notice that I was feeling that "wired" feeling at night after taking the Percogesic. After checking the ingredients, I found that they had began putting in Diphenhydramine! Just like Benadryl. I was very disappointed, and was missing my sleep! I was able to find the Aceta-Gesic on Amazon.com thru some other reviews I had read about Percogesic (I'm not the only one disappointed by the change in Percogesic). I was delighted, but not for long....soon they changed from the phenyltoloxamine to diphenhydramine as well. I was so disappointed, and as of yet have not been able to find a product with the phenyltoloxamine. I will keep searching.
on July 3, 2011
This is the (old) original Percogesic mixture. The Percogesic (now) is generic? benedryl? Rugby manufacturers should refine the shape and size of the tablets to make them easier to swallow. But the 2-medicine mixture works great for me.
on October 30, 2013
I just wanted to let folks who are looking for the original Percogesic formula and thought this would be it, the product now contains diphenhydramine just like the new Percogesic. I can't find any OTC products on the market any more that have phenyltoloxamine. I, like many others, found that to be one of the few pain relievers out there for the headaches or pains I had at night.
on January 20, 2012
I was really skeptical that I would get this Aceta-Gesic home & it'd indeed be what I used to buy in Percogesic, ingredient-wise. But, thankfully, it was! I loved the old Percogesic and used it when the worst of my migraine & fibromyalgia pain threatened to take me down. I was so unhappy when the company changed the formula, because the new one's ineffectual, and there was no logical reason for changing it. Legally & medically, the old Percogesic's main ingredient was/is perfectly safe, but oddly the FDA refused to continue it as at OTC medicine to be sold. While the FDA CLAIMED in 2012 that they couldn't be sure the active ingredient in the old Percogesic- phenyltoloxamine citrate- had no side effects (despite decades on the market with no known deaths or even problems resulting from taking the drug), the FDA very strangely still allows doctors to prescribe it to patients with no qualms whatsoever! Make of that what you will...In any event, I would encourage you to research this main ingredient, it's history and chemistry, for yourself- and then hopefully you will help make the government listen to the people that were aided tremendously by the old Percogesic formula (for what it's worth). Aspirin and acetaminophen have actually caused far more issues (especially in overdose cases) than phenyltoloxamine ever has, yet they are still OTC.

As an example of how well the old Percogesic and Aceta-Gesic worked (and why it should be back on the market)...I happened to be suffering from a wonderful case of the flu mixed w/ bronchitis when this arrived. I took two to see what relief I could get. My body aches seriously decreased, and I was able to sleep for an entire night (I've been dealing with two-, maybe three-hour sleeping periods this week, between the pain & my coughing). This medicine was a terrific alternative to other OTC meds and I've always noticed it seems to work for people who've become resistant to the help of Excedrin, Bayer, Tylenol, etc. If by chance you're able to get this medicine again, I would recommend only taking this when nothing else works, and don't take it too often. I speak from personal experience when I say that if you take it more than a couple of times a week regularly, your body will get too accustommed to the main ingredient & the tolerance will keep it from helping as it should. For pain relief, this works great. Drowsiness IS a side effect quite a few of us (me, included) find with this product- so just keep that in mind.
on September 21, 2011
The original formula of the brand Percogesic was changed over a year ago,they replaced Phenoltoloxamine with Diphenhydramine and the supply of the original ran out at stores months ago. Thank goodness for this item Aceta-Gesic. Phenyltoloxamine has analgesic and anti-spasmodic properties. It is a member of the ethanolamine class of antihistamine agents and also has anticholinergic properties. It is THAT that makes the difference. I don't have trouble sleeping I have trouble with migraines. I hope Rugby does not make the same mistake and change their formula. UPDATE; I have since realized that the formula WAS changed to match Percogesic's formula so I would no longer recommend this item for use for help with migraine headaches. Excedrine Migraine is the only non prescription option I would use.
on April 1, 2012
I was very upset when I discovered that Percogesic had changed it's ingredients! The original formula relieved my night time back pain and even took the edge off my migranes. The Diphenhydramine does nothing but give me bad dreams and restless legs.
Aceta-gesic...Please don't ever change your formula. I am so glad I found this product. Thank you.
on April 2, 2013
The label shown in the ad is not what was sent. This is the newer formula with diphenhydramine. Looks like the ad has been changed since I ordered. We all got scammed. Will continue to try to track it down elsewhere.