ACTIONTEC Home Theater Coax Network Adapter (ECB3500T01)
Price:$75.63 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 13, 2013
Verified Purchase
The other coax network adapter made by actiontec (ECB2500C) is a decent product, but it's bottleneck in terms of network speed is its 'fast ethernet' port (100 mbps). MOCA is capable of 170 mbps, which should be suitable for multiple simultaneous HD streams, but the ECB2500C is incapable of these speeds because of it's 100 mbps ethernet port.

The ECB3500T01 has 4 gigabit ethernet ports, so you should be able to reach speeds closer to the 170 mbps capability of MOCA. Also, if you have a MOCA router, it is plug and play. I have Verizon Fios and so this is the case for me. If you don't have a MOCA router, then you'll need a second coax network adapter, but it doesn't have to be this particular model. You could use any other MOCA adapter (like the cheaper ECB2500C for example).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2013
Verified Purchase
This device is fairly plug-and-play. I have a FiOS network, and it worked right away. The problem is that the picture of the item indicates that it has two coax F-connectors. One in from the wall and one out to your TV (which would block MoCA signals); this means that no splitter is required and only two coax cables are needed. However, the one I received (listed as model ECB3500T01) only had one coax F-connector! They were kind enough to include a splitter and two coax cables, so I did not have to go out and buy any additional cables, but I was hoping to reduce cable clutter. A short Ethernet cable is also included. The cables all seem to be 3-4 feet in length (I did not measure them, sorry!).

My primary reason in buying it was that it had 4 Ethernet ports, so I could connect my TiVo, AppleTV an Blu-Ray player that are at my TV together. We've been having problems streaming over WiFi, and I hope this solution works (my daughter kept complaining that the Amazon Prime HD video would freeze). If it does, I will be getting another for the other TV setup (which has a PS3 and Roku).

I gave it only 4 stars because the description it only has one coax F-connector, and requires a splitter. This differs from the pictures of the description.

If you have Verizon FiOS, this will work with no additional equipment. If you have Cable for high-speed Internet, then you will need another MoCA adapter, such as ECB2500 (which apparently does have two coax F-connectors).
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 18, 2013
Verified Purchase
I would have to say I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with this adapter. I gambled on this a month ago when I couldn't find any reviews on it. Many electronic devices nowadays tout being "plug and play". Although I have fairly good knowledge and experience with networking, both wired and wireless networking can be somewhat of a black art to many people. That's why I found it surprising that this adapter was probably the most truly "plug and play" device I've ever used!

With that said, I should qualify that we have FiOS which already uses MoCA (ethernet over coax) to bring the signal into the house. Our primary entertainment area is a good distance from where we have the FiOS router and computers. It is not feasible to hardwire the distance with ethernet cable due to layout, cost, and aesthetics. I previously used a wireless router in bridge mode to connect our TiVo HD XL (an older model not MoCA-enabled), Blu-Ray player, and TV to the internet. (They were connected by ethernet cable to the router and the router connected wirelessly back to the FiOS router). It worked but was less than ideal for several reasons which I won't go into here!

When I got this device, I plugged in the power adapter, connected the splitter to the coax out of the wall, and then ran one out to the Actiontec and one to the Tivo. I unplugged the three ethernet cables from the old wireless router and plugged them into the Actiontec. Within seconds, all three connected devices had internet access. My existing network recognized the adapter and passed through the DHCP IP address requests and allowed the one static address, all without a hitch or any configuration.

Some notes:
- Most FiOS routers are set up with the internet connection through a coax cable. If yours is not standard and is connected by ethernet cable, then you would have to run a coax cable between your router and the wall too. (Might have to check the router settings to make sure the MoCA is enabled, too.)

- With the standard FiOS set up, no PoE filter is needed as there will already be one installed where the signal comes in to your house. You may want to check to see if you already have a PoE if your cable company already brings the internet INTO your house on coax.

- I can't really speak for the other cable internet provider's configurations. You may need a single (cheaper) adapter on the router end, but isn't hard to do! This all depends on if their routers use MoCA.

- Several people have complained that there isn't an internal splitter with a coax out to the TV, as pictured. I admit to being surprised at that, too. However, most people would not want to use that anyway since they connect to the cable provider's set top box. The internal splitter on these adapters strip out everything but the TV signal, so all the video-on-demand, guide, etc. is lost. It's not really any more trouble to use the external splitter that is supplied. If the extra cabling is a problem, then buying and using a really short cable on one output of the splitter will minimize the clutter.

- Several people complain that you need two of these. That's not entirely true. (Note that these are the Vine reviewers that pick these up for free to review and didn't bother to check out the technology first)! First, with FiOS (don't know about others) you only need one. Second, if you don't have FiOS and need an adapter at the router end, don't pick up a second one of these! That's a waste! Get a cheaper, single line adapter such as the ECB2500C (but shop around!). The point of the adapter I'm reviewing is to have a single point where you can hook up 4 devices at one point, such as in a home theater, to the internet. For that purpose, this technology looks significantly cheaper than powerline adapters.

- The rule of thumb is that the splitters used in your cable wiring should be rated up to 2000 MHz. However, Verizon used 1 MHz splitters in my cabling and the MoCA works fine with FiOS!

- includes 2000 MHz splitter, 2 coax cables, 1 ethernet cable, stand (I laid the adapter down)

Cons:
- The documentation is essentially one small picture. However, it is simple enough to set up without it and no configuration is needed. It would have been better to include more info on the PoE filters and second adapters for those without FiOS!
- Only one ethernet cable is included. On one hand, they really aren't obligated to include any cables. On the other hand, there are four ports!
- Overall, I'd dock about a half-star for the documentation issues but I'll round up in my rating.

Bottom line:
If you are looking to hook up multiple devices at one location, such as a home theater, and you have FiOS, this is a GREAT way to do it. I would recommend this to others, as well, but they should make an informed decision based upon the points above.
on January 18, 2014
Verified Purchase
The previous owners did not run network cabling throughout the house & our finished basement does not provide an easy means to run network cables... However, there are multiple cable TV outlets in every room making MoCA adapters they way to go for us... We own a home business & our older ZyXEL110V powerline adapters are fast-enough for network printing & automated backups to a home server. Although streaming Netflix was OK over 110V (or even WiFi), streaming higher quality home videos from our home server and/or streaming videos from the TIVO Roamio to a TIVO Mini was impossible...

The TIVO Roamio Basic does not have a built-in MoCA adapter (like the Roamio Plus & Pro) to stream shows to a TIVO Mini in another room, but the Roamio Basic is also the only one that supports OTA antenna... Therefore the Roamio Basic requires an external MoCA adapter to connect to a TIVO Mini (The Mini has its own MoCA adapter built-in...) Because I also needed a network switch for the SmartTV, Roku3, and Smart Blu-ray player at the same location, I opted for this Actiontec (ECB3500T01) vs. the one without the additonal network ports. Rather than use slower WiFi or 110V adapters, all devices at the same location are now wired via Cat6 to this MoCA switch and all devices now readily stream video to/from various devices also connected via MoCA or via Cat6 to our home router.

This is a simple plug & play device - it worked immediately without requiring any thought. If you are having any difficulties, make certain the cable lines you are using are connected to each other via the same splitter in your basement, etc. Also, make certain you use the newer splitters throughout that are rated for handling bi-directional data... The cable TV wiring in our home is the older RG5 vs. the better RG6 but everything is working fine including cable TV over the same cable lines as our MoCA data...
on February 12, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is a great addition to an <EXISTING> MOCA network in a home that you do not wish to rewire with CAT5e. I'll explain my network layout and why this is the perfect solution to me.

My network layout - Basement (office) Cable modem, Netgear router with a desktop and laptop PC connected via Ethernet. 2nd floor - Tivo Roamio Plus, PS3, PS4, and XBOX. 3rd Floor - Tivo Mini and Roku.

Rewiring my home was not really an option and I was introduced to MOCA networking for the first time when I bought my Tivo Roamio back in December. I needed a way for my Roamio and Mini to interface. The setup worked perfectly with a single MOCA network adapter in the basement connected to my modem and router. The Tivo Mini is such awesome addition to have in the bedroom and the components connected as soon as I plugged everything in.

After discovering the joys of MOCA networking, I decided to buy this MOCA "hub" (it is more like a hub than a switch BTW. 4 ethernet ports and a COAX uplink) to install in my living room so I could experience the joys of hard wired connectivity on my streaming player and video game systems. Latency has been significantly reduced and I can now stream HDX movies (1080p and DD 7.1) on my PS3 from VUDU without interruption or dropped frames.

Look - this is not exactly a cheap setup. The description does a pretty horrible job of telling prospective buyers that they will need additional equipment to make use of this product... BUT - if you are like me - the benefits of hard wired connectivity outweigh the $120 - $160 costs involved in upgrading your home to MOCA ($60ish for the adapter and $85ish for this hub).

I wish ACTIONTEC would bundle the necessary components into a legit kit for a reasonable price. It might improve their ratings on Amazon and simplify life for those less technologically inclined.
on March 1, 2014
Verified Purchase
New house built in 2001, there's at least 1 coax and several cat-3 pulls (terminated to RJ-11 jacks for phones) to each room, but no Cat-5 Ethernet. I eventually plan to hire a wiring contractor to get the whole house wired with some cat 7, but I work from home and needed a quick solution. Verizon came and installed their ONT on the side of the house and then terminated coax to my wiring closet. From their we split the signal and distributed it to all the rooms. Verizon installed Actiontec's MI424WR (Wireless N 4-port MOCA bridge) in the family room. That gave me enough wired Ethernet to support all the kids gaming devices. Next I installed the first Actiontec ECB3500T01 in the Home Theater and a second in my office. It was completely plug-and-play, just installed another splitter to feed my Ceton 6-tuner cable tuner and the Actiontec. So there's nothing to configure just plug in the RG-6 cable, Ethernet patch-cord to your network device and supply power via the wall-wart. Done! Nothing else to do.

The only testing I've done is an Internet speed test from a PC connected to the new Actiontec. 87Mbps down and 37 up. What else can a boy ask for ;) A+, 5 - stars, 10 out of 10, however you want to look at it, it's a brilliant product.
on December 4, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Great option for those that don't want to rely on wifi or have trouble with wifi signals in your home / office. I have used a PoE solution as well. This device gives slightly better and more reliable speeds. Which is nice. It is pretty much plug and play which is also nice for those of us that are more technically challenged or have a fear of setting up yet another network device....

I did have to bu a second one, because I have a traditional high speed network that is not part of a verizon FiOS or other MoCo (?) network. This was a nice option to try, because I wasn't happy with my wifi or PoE network. This one has seemed to do the trick.,
on November 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
These moca bridges work great and so much better than wifi. I had a wifi bridge to get wired ethernet to the home entertainment center downstairs, from the router upstairs. Very flaky and netflix would drop a lot. I bought a pair of single-port moca bridges from actiontek and it's all been trouble free and fast ever since. I was running the entertainment setup through one of the bridges and then through a 4 port switch to supply wired access to a TV, Xbox, TiVo, and amplifier. The amp is an airplay client.

Recently, I did some TV swapping to make room for a new main TV. This meant I needed ethernet on a bedroom TV. So I bought this 4-port for use downstairs, to replace the single-port bridge and the switch, and moved the one-port to the bedroom TV. All 3 work flawlessly with each other. You can just hang these wherever you have a coax drop, and have a fast network port. You can install several, though I'm not sure what the limit is.

These things also handle power bumps and come right back online.

5-star performance, but I took off one star because these switch-included versions don't have an internal splitter (only one coax jack). They include an external coax splitter with it, but since it's external, it adds to the cable mess. The single port versions have the splitter inside...two cable jacks, input, and pass-through, so I can feed the cable to the box, TiVo, etc.
on November 15, 2014
Verified Purchase
Let me first say that the only reason I'm giving it four stars and not five was the almost total lack of documentation. Documentation consisted on one sheet with a diagram of where the cables go.

Should be plug and play (I have a fios actiontec router on this network). But for whatever reason mine didnt grab the network parameters forcing a reset. Which would have been easy if there had been any documentation.,

So for anyone who has bought this and it didn't work out of the box here's what you an try

Connect a laptop to the device with wifi disabled. Look at the connection. It should be 192.168.1.X. If not do a hard reset. Push and hold the reset button on the back of the device for about 10 seconds. Then unplug the device for another 10 seconds. Start it up and you should be all set

After that it has worked great, and I wouldn't have wasted half an hour on hold with tech support if there had been any documentation
on August 30, 2014
Verified Purchase
Product works great. Plug and play with Verizon Fios Quantum. Fios just came to my neighborhood in Philly. Thanks to help from Amazon reviewers I knew what to get. I only needed it for 2 rooms so i only needed 2(1 for each room). My Fios router is a Moca enable so i didn't need another adapter attached to the router. I just used the splitter and the included 2 coaxial cables(cables provided are not long but enough for my needs). Im streaming hd video from my server to both locations. No stuttering.

Like others have mentioned the adapter only has 1 coaxial connector. All the lan ports are gigabyte speed. One note though I brought one from Amazon and one from Newegg. The Amazon one had a 5-2150Mhz Splitter while the Newegg one had a Verizon 5-1675 splitter.

Inside the box was