5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally fast - Backwards Compatible - And cheap!
It's awesome.

Tested on various USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0) No complaints. Fully backwards compatible. Also works in a 2.0 hub, just in case you wondered, yes I tried it to make sure.

But the 3.0 is just really outstanding.

Published on March 31, 2011 by Cordite

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but extremely slow when heavy I/O is needed
I purchased this product as an upgrade to an existing 8GB USB 2.0 Patriot XT Boost flash drive (which is, by all accounts, excellent). The model I opted for was the 32GB ADATA S102.

Published on June 14, 2011 by Steven Schardein

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but extremely slow when heavy I/O is needed, June 14, 2011

The drive is very fast with sequential transfers, but once smaller files are introduced, it quickly chokes. Worse yet, when *many* files are involved in the operation, the drive absolutely stalls. After a few seconds of copying a few hundred files around 2 - 30 KB in size apiece, the drive's operation hangs every 3 to 4 seconds for a full second or longer. This makes such I/O take a very long time, so if you are moving lots of files to and fro, run far, far away from this drive.

Support informs me that this is a limitation of most USB 3.0 drives, but I know that overcoming this obstacle is possible; it's merely a matter of controller choice and design. As an example of a 2.0 drive which is superior at such I/O, the very drive I was replacing is many, many times faster at copying the same groups of files for backup purposes on my technician's toolkit, and it's just a 2.0 drive.

It's tough to pick a good USB 3.0 drive, but unfortunately, unless you're exclusively moving large files, this just isn't it. The search continues I suppose...

Notes on my other attribute ratings:

Construction quality - Well-made and sturdy for the most part. Heats up under heavy use however.
Design quality - No activity light is a definite problem. Also, the cap is separate and relatively easy to lose. Other than that, it's fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally fast - Backwards Compatible - And cheap!, March 31, 2011
It's awesome.

But the 3.0 is just really outstanding.

Tested and verified via Nirsoft: My drive ran a 10.09 MB/Sec write, and a 54.41 MB/Sec read. Note, that's more than 4 times faster than a 100 Mb/s ETHERNET on the read side, and the same speed on the write. It's as fast or faster than most wired networks...

It's that good. And my 8GB was sub 20 bucks. How can you lose here folks? Just buy it. Seriously. It's worth it.

Tested on an ASRock X58 Extreme3 via onboard USB 3.0, i7-930.

4.0 out of 5 stars USB 3.0 IS SO FAST!!!!, May 22, 2011
This review is from: ADATA S102 16 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive AS102-16G-RGY (Titanium Grey) (Personal Computers)
If your are going to spend money on a high performance USB 2.0 Flash Drive.... DONT.This is my first USB 3.0 Flash Drive.

This cheep entry level flash drive will outperform any high performance USB 2.0 drive.
Can't wait to try this drive on a USB 3.0 Port

Pros
Vary fast
Nice texture to the brushed metal
Cheep

Cons/Other Thoughts
This drive gets a little warm when plugged in, I dont know if its the drive itself of maybe since the drive is in a metal enclosure it absorbs some of the heat from the laptop(My laptop gets hot when in use).
No activity indicator light on the drive.
The plastic end cap is not tight as I would like.

The speeds I have gotten on a USB 2.0 Port on a 1.6Ghz Pentium M Processor, 2GB of RAM with Windows XP Service Pack 3 is...

Sequential Read : 31.871 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 3.564 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.091 MB/s
Bench by CrystalDiskMark v3.0.1

1.0 out of 5 stars Not 3.0, August 11, 2011
3.0 ready (as stated on ADATA package) does not equate to 3.0 speed. I tested the write speed against a PNY 2.0 flash drive by transferring 1.000+ photos (about 4G) to the two drives. The files took 6 minutes 37 seconds with the ADATA drive and 6 minutes 28 seconds with the PNY 2.0 drive.

After additional research, the reason is that ADATA is at most a quad/4-channel controller. To get better speed, look for 8-channel controller (LaCie). It's more expensive, but that's the reason - if you want the speed, you'll have to pay more. Don't bother with the ADATA - you'll be disappointed.

The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate on a one-year old gaming PC (intel i7 2.67 GHz; 12G RAM). The ADATA was plugged directly into a Western Digital PCIe USB 3.0, 2 port card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely fast, March 5, 2011
This drive is fast, not only on usb 3.0, but also on 2.0 and being limited by the bandwidth ceiling; it's about 4-5 times faster than any other 2.0 drive I own.
I realize this experience is due more to my cheap 2.0 drives performing nowhere even close to spec than this one being outstanding but it's still refreshing to be impressed by consumer grade storage drives in this day and age.

Great price, great performance, and 3.0 compatibility makes it future-proof to some extent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faster Than I ever Imagined.., April 5, 2011
it's backwards compatible to 2.0 so for the money, 8gb and 3.0 option, is a great find.
and it's a very solid exterior, feels like aluminum of some sort

tested in 3.0 port (with 6 core amd @ 3.2ghz, 4gb ram @ 1600mhz, windows 7 64bit)

multi-file test:
writing speed was appx. 90 seconds for 700 files @ 420MB in total..
reading is very fast. deleted all 700 files at about 30 files/second from the usb

single-file test:
140MB single file wrote to usb in under 6 seconds.
when i moved the file back to my pc hard drive it took less than a second.

so that is the basics of high file amount and singular speeds. much faster than 2.0! Well worth the money!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent performance, Poor build quality, August 19, 2011
I've owned the 32gb version for a little over 3 months now. I recently went to remove the cap from the back of the drive and the plastic end itself came off with it. I contacted customer support and was told they don't cover physical damage. I have never dropped the drive and it is either connected to a computer or in a safe pocket in my bag. I plan to super glue the end back on and hope the dust and debris that might be on the circuits will not reduce the life of the product.

The speed difference between USB 3.0 vs 2.0 with this drive isn't worth the cost. If you want proper 3.0 speeds and a quality product I suggest you look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and well built., May 26, 2011
Achieved a max of 70MB/sec transfer when transferring a 7GB file.
On regular transfers which include files of various sizes (300MB-1GB), it averages 40MB/sec. Lowest I have seen was 20 MB/sec.

Feels nice and sturdy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not operate at USB 3 speed, April 21, 2011
This ADATA flash drive works as a USB 2.0 device only. I have 2 other USB 3.0 flash drives made by Kingston which do work at USB 3.0 speeds. All of the drives were attached to the same USB 3.0 input.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy this piece of crap, September 28, 2011
P. Mitchell (University of Mississippi) - See all my reviews
This is supposed to be a USB 3.0 thumb but when used in a USB 3.0 port it reports corrupt files. It will work everytime in a USB 2.0 port - however - I didn't spend all this money for another USB 2.0 thumb. My WD Passport USB 3.0 drive always works splendidly when plugged to the same 3.0 port this thumb drive consistently craps out in - so it's not the port or the driver. I will not take a risk on another ADATA product ever - and suggest you don't either!

Rate and Discover Movies