on April 7, 2012
I had two USB flash drives, neither of which satisfied my demands. I had a 2GB Kingston for years that felt really solid and had great read and write speeds, but 2GB just doesn't seem as large as it did 5 years ago. I had an 8GB OCZ I received for free that was absolutely worthless because of it's incredibly slow (<1MB/s) write and slow read (~3MB/s). I was looking for a drive that would have the solid feel and speed of the Kingston drive but a higher capacity.

I ended up buying this drive and it instantly became clear that this was going to become my main drive. The body is incredibly hard and feels durable. Similar to my old Kingston drive, I'm sure you could drive a car over this and it would be fine. The cap for the flash drive also snaps on securely both on the front and back and feels as durable as the rest of the drive.

Here is the performance of the drive according to CrystalDiskMark. USB 2.0: 34.79MB/s read 20.93 write. USB 3.0: 99.65 MB/s read 24.68 MB/s write. Real world testing mirrored these results. Copying a 4.7GB ISO resulted in an average write speed of ~24 MB/s. Reading this ISO averaged ~110 MB/s. Without a doubt the fastest flash drive I've ever used on both USB 2.0 and 3.0. In a perfect world I would like to see the write to be ~40MB/s since a few competitors offer that, but for the price I paid I cannot complain.

The only con I can think of is the lack of any included lanyard or even a little keyring string thingy. I usually take these off and never use them, but this may be something to consider for those who like to wear their drives.

Overall, this is an excellent drive. The drive feels rock solid, the performance is just as advertised, and A-Data even has data recovery software and a lifetime warranty. If you're looking for a high capacity and speedy flash drive, don't hesitate to buy the S102 Pro.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 5, 2012
Pros:
-Aluminum casing with plastic endcaps.
-100 MB/s Sequential, 93 MB/s 512K Random reads.
-Lifetime warranty.
-Cap snaps on tightly to the front.
-Cheap for the performance and size.

Cons:
-Cap is loose when attached to the other end.
-Lanyard hole is placed where the cap clicks in on the other end. So you can't have both a lanyard and the cap on the other end.
-A bit thick, making it a very tight fit with stacked USB ports.

Overall a very clean professional look. Sturdy feeling design (I haven't tried running it over with a car yet), with fairly good build quality. Works as advertised.
on April 11, 2013
I bought this unit from another online retailer, but I wanted to share this information here because I was so lost when I encountered the problem.

So as soon as I got this device, I plugged it into my Mac Mini and -- behold -- my computer froze up. Or so I thought. I Googled and Googled but couldn't find any mention of there being a problem with the ADATA devices and Mac OS 10.8.3. I checked for ADATA firmware updates, there were none. I asked in forums, no help there. I finally emailed ADATA customer service but three days later I still hadn't received a response. I emailed again and now it's two days later and I still haven't heard anything back.

I decided a few minutes ago to try the flash drive again. Sure enough, the computer "froze". But this time I'd accidentally left a window open and I accidentally pressed a key and saw that my keyboard still worked. A-HA! It's just my mouse that isn't working! I plugged in another mouse and it worked, but got very jumpy the further I moved it away from my computer and its receiver. So I plugged my original mouse back in (Logitech M570), moved it to the middle of my desk so it was closer to the computer and receiver, and there it was -- working again!

I did some more Googling and found a thread that explained how the power of the USB 3.0 interfered with the signal on many devices. From the thread:

"Most wireless networks and mice, including the Unifying Receiver, communicate at a frequency of 2.4GHz. When powered, a USB 3.0 HDD or flash drive will generate significant broadband interference around the 2.4GHz band, as part of it's normal operation. This severely reduces the range of any mouse receiver or wireless network adapter in close proximity to the USB 3.0 device, resulting in spotty performance and intermittent disconnects. Bluetooth is also affected to an extent. This is why moving the receiver away helps. Intel put an impressive lab together and got it all figured out, releasing a whitepaper in April 2012 that explains everything. If you really want to understand this, it's a must read; I'll link it at the bottom.

Bottom line: the only REAL solution is more shielding for both the USB ports and the USB 3.0 devices; meaning manufacturers can retrofit their products and hopefully squash this rather large bug for the next hardware cycle. If you read the Intel report you will see that both motherboard makers and usb device makers will have to add shielding. Just one or the other isn't always effective. We owners of existing, unshielded devices are pretty much up a creek, sans paddle."

So there you have it. I'm going to keep the flash drive and just use my mouse in the middle of my desk when I load it, but be aware. Google "Unifying Receiver stops working when a USB 3.0 device is plugged in" if you want to see the entire thread about this issue.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 29, 2012
Unlike other users here,I have mine for 6 months now, and it still operates perfectly!

I love the strong steel/aluminum? housing; the shape, and most of all the size and speed.
I bought it from another sales site, but the price was very affordable.

It performs admirably on USB2, but surpasses all my USB2 drives on a USB 3 port!

Great for running an OS from, or transferring small or large files from.

R/W speeds vary from computer to computer.
On USB 2 ports the drive is limited by the USB port, but I had speeds close to 33/32MB/s R/W.
Over USB 3 I can't exactly tell because my USB card is a pcie adapter, not natively supported by the motherboard, so the speed may be lower. anyway USB 3 speeds are close to 85/40 MB R/W.

I can't speak of it's longetivity, as I mainly use this drive weekly to transfer some files to, and load them on another computer. It's been working fine for 6+months now!

I'm a happy camper!
on February 14, 2012
There isn't much more to say about it. It was quick and I was initially very pleased with it, but after about ten uses it wasn't being recognized by any of my systems' USB3.0 or 2.0 ports.

It ran hot enough (~146F) that I was concerned with leaving it plugged in unattended overnight. I suspect the heat is what killed it.

Fit and finish was nice, but I returned it and replaced it with another brand.

A big plus, and one of the reasons I spent a bit extra for this one, was the lifetime warranty. A big minus is you'll probably need it. Maybe more than once.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 11, 2012
The specs for this usb drive call for a max read of 100mbs`and max write of 25mbs. Using CrystalDiskMark software with the drive in a 3.0 usb port I get 93mbs/read and 23mbs/write. Very nice performance. MP4 movie files - 1.5gb to 2.2gb - that took 5 to 7 minutes to transfer with a Kingston 8gb DataTraveler now take 60 to 90 seconds! Even in a 2.0 usb port on the same computer the read is 34mbs and write is 19mbs. The drive is a sleek aluminium body that gets kind of warm. Only had this a couple of days and transferred about a dozen movies so we'll see if it stands up to use over time.
on December 18, 2012
Updated on 3-4-2013:
I bought 3 drives, 2 x 8gb and 1 x 32gb. ALL OF THEM have died. and No they were not all for me, the 32gb was for me while the 8gb's were for co workers.

We also bought on that same order Patriot Memory Supersonic Magnum 64 GB Flash Drive - Black (PEF64GSMNUSB) that has still been working and working well. I'm going to try to get these replaced under the warranty but i also plan on buying replacements.. dont trust adata any more.

OS = Win 8 Enterprise x 64
Mobo = Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard v1.3 (Bios f10)

* Using Onboard USB 3.0 Controller (Eltron v1.0.0.0115)
-Read = 98MB
-Write = 47MB

* Using Onboard USB 2.0 Controller (Intel Series 6 v9.3.0.1021)
-Read = 35MB
-Write = 13MB
on October 26, 2012
Screaming fast, while it lasts. As others have noted, it runs VERY hot. Don't know if that is what killed it, but after 5 weeks, it totally died.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 18, 2012
Updated 3-4-2013:

22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2012
Not much to say here, as mentioned in the title, I bought this USB less than a month ago, and it already died with minimal usage. Used less than 10 times. Today upon plugging in, the drive did not show up, but instead gives the message "Please insert a disc into the drive." Suspected it was probably the issue with drive letter, but it turns out false. Tried on several computers, same result. Conclusion: it died. Clearly Unacceptable.