Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 30, 2014
Good deal
on June 9, 2004
This is a "for dummies" book masquerading as a best practices book. It is also a "for people who think Vaughn is as funny as he does" book, as well as a "for people who want to know more about ADO classic than they do about ADO.NET, which would be odd considering the title" book and a "for VB programmers who find C# as confusing as Vaughn does" book.
Waste of money. Vaughn is an inept C# programmer and a lousy writer.
VINE VOICEon February 22, 2004
I thought I had already reviewed this book but I guess I didn't. This is a totally killer book from start to finish. There's simply nothing that isn't great about it. It's well written and never gets boring. Vaughn has a total command over what he writes and has an amazing knack for keeping things interesting (which is very important in computer books). His examples are all things you encounter every day. His insights are those of someone's who's dealt with virtually every scenario his readers may face. And in a nutshell, it's just a totally cool book by a totally cool author.
I am an abject book nut and I ADO.NET is probably one of my favorite subjects. With that said, I'm by default a huge fan of Mr. Vaughn but if you are going to do any ADO.NET programming, this is a must have title!
on July 24, 2003
The authors' expertise in the subject is clear. These guys have been doing this for a long time, and know it inside and out (or at least as well as can be expected at the time of writing). It reads really well, and their added insight is great.
My major issue with the book is that it really should have been titled "ADO.NET Examples and Best Practices for C# Programmers Who Are Already Experts in ADO Using SQL"
Basically if you aren't interested in the differences between ADO and ADO.NET, you'll find yourself skipping over quite a few sections. I got the feeling that I was reading stuff like this a lot - "This isn't any different than ADOc (how he refers to COM based ADO) so we'll just skip over that and get to what's different." Or - "Here is a comparison of how these ADO properties map to their ADO.NET equivalents."
In addition, if you are looking for info specific to anything other than SQL server, you may be disappointed. The book just makes minor mention of OLEDB.
If these issues aren't a concern for you, consider this a 5 star rating.
on July 7, 2003
I am not a VB developer but it seems like this book is for VB developers. Authors have no idea of C++/C# programming. It has less ADO.NET but more ADO programming issues. Authors talk a lot but there is no code which makes the book worthless.
Can you live without "finally"? I can't. Author have no idea and never used "finally".
on May 29, 2003
I've had a look through several different books covering this topic and this is the most pleasurable to read by a long shot. Bill's style is irreverant yet authoritative which makes for a very interesting read -- He's not afraid to comment on things both good and bad (unlike some books on the topic which seem to ramble along as an accompaniment to MSDN) about it, and he's qualified to do so as an ex-serf from the Big House itself. Big thumbs up.
on March 31, 2003
Vaughn and Blackburn not only understand how ADO.NET works, but how to communicate their knowledge in a pithy and clear way. The practical tips all struck home, and the sample code was useful. This book has the best stuff I've seen on ADO.NET. I wouldn't call it an ageless classic, but it's worth the $$ and the time that you may spend on it.
on September 19, 2002
I bought many books to assist in clarifying what the best ways are to do things in ADO.NET, and this is the only one I continue to read. The authors and their support staff obviously have a clearer and better understanding of both the technology and best practices to provide the reader with real world examples of how to do many things concerning data in .NET. Other books throw a load of scrambled information at you and 'dance' around the subject without definitively answering the questions that need to be answered, effectively writing black box 'definitive sources' about the subject.
If you're a developer looking for the right answers, the best practices for doing things, what is bad and what is good and why, then this should definitely be in your library.
With such a wealth of information regarding ADO.NET available (yet none of it conclusive), you can easily spend most of your time consulting online documentation and reference books and all of your efforts be a waste of time. This book is the only exception, and I would recommend it to anyone.
on August 6, 2002
The book is divided into two major sections - the "old" ADO and ADO.NET. Bill covers both of these in great detail. The ADO coverage has been enhanced since the first edition. The ADO.NET stuff blew my mind. I'm new to .NET. I was expecting to learn just ADO.NET. I was happily surprised to learn not only that but also the pitfalls to avoid when coding VB.NET. That was a bonus.
The IMHO sections had much to offer. Too many books just give you the techie stuff. It's nice to get an honest opinion from someone who's "been there". He goes beyond that, too. Throughout the book, there are "Best Practices" icons to point you to the stuff you really need to know.
This book has code - lots of it. Every example is right there on the CD. It doesn't stop there, however. Bill shows you the turns and twists of the Visual Studio .NET IDE, making it an essential reference for any serious coder.
The book is written with the intermediate to advanced reader in mind. Even though I'm more like an experienced newbie, I still got a lot out of it. I'm less intimidated by .NET than I was going in.
Bill Vaughn has done a great job. I'll give up this book when you pry it from my cold dead hands. :-)
on August 5, 2002
Of my 8 books with ADO.NET, this is the one I am using. I needed to know how to manually run through and manipulate rows and columns. I needed to use complex business logic with a database. My work involves more than displaying some simple DataGrid. This book gives the examples for manually code ADO.NET.