Published 21 months ago by Love to read

2.0 out of 5 stars Rich kid travel rag
Published 23 months ago by Zilamac

2.0 out of 5 stars Rich kid travel rag, April 3, 2013
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
Passionate about travel - I find this newer magazine irritating. To me it says more about its target market (affluent) than it does about an enriching cultural expansive window on the experience of travel (international or national). The all too apparent leading edge from tips on high end places to stay, eat, etc. along with ads for those with a big budget, evokes the realm of the privledged traveler, no mater the "featured" destination.
A seasoned traveler, the AFAR subscription was given to me as a gift and I will not bother to renew it. I want to feel enriched after reading about a subject I love, not annoyed.

2.0 out of 5 stars For hipster wannabees and the terminally self-absorbed travel writer, March 26, 2014
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
AFAR is a vanity magazine produced by a small group of self-styled "travel hipsters" who write far more to impress one another than to inform a broader readership. "And then I found myself in a hip suburb of Athens, where I found myself hanging out with some totally happening Marxist students and we baked souvlaki together. Ain't I the s***!" That's a (very slight) exaggeration, but it captures the tone. This magazine showed up unannounced in my mailbox one day and has been coming ever since. Now, I spend about three minutes thumbing through it before it gets tossed into the garbage.
This is a magazine for travel-hipster wannabes who live in the provinces, i.e., not New York or L.A., who can put this on their coffee table and say, "Hey look Meadow, I read AFAR. I must be happening!"
Two stars for stellar production values, zero for content.

5.0 out of 5 stars makes you feel connected to the part of you that loves travel m ore than anything else!, June 5, 2013
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
Sometimes you want to just sit on your couch and feel connected to interesting people who love traveling as much as you do. This is what AFAR magazine gives you! Most travel magazines have disappointed me because they are just a lot of ads and stock photos. But this magazine introduces you to people who travel often and you get a glimpse into their lives and where they've been. For example, the highlights for me in the latest issue: a short essay by an editor about how as a child his family of six kids did summer road trips all around the country and how it was his mom's curiosity that drove the trips despite his dad's reluctance, an article about a yacht racer and how alive he feels when seeing cities at night from the water and a list of his favorite ports, and an article by a cultural educator in Waimea Valley, Oahu explaining how he grew up in Hawaii going to Kamehameha School (elite school for native Hawaiians) and what Hawaii and the North Shore culture mean to him. You feel really inspired to go out and see the world after reading this magazine.

5.0 out of 5 stars a travel magazine that takes you away, June 3, 2012
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
Shhh... the best kept secret among travel magazines. Wonderful articles. Beautiful photography. Warm stories about people and places ... and food! Written for an intelligent audience. Minimal ad content.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful magazine!, February 17, 2012
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
A really great travel magazine with beautiful photography and engrossing stories. I've enjoyed it from the first issue several years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great magazine for learning about the world..., April 26, 2014
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
I bought this as a gift subscription to inspire my mother to travel (I travel a lot, be she rarely does). She hasn't booked any trips yet, but she always suggests places I should try based on the latest issue of Afar. It's nice to see her taking an interest in the world outside of her community! Now, if only she'd actually go to one of these places!

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS ADVERTISED, December 17, 2014
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
I had heard or read that this would be a magazine for those who wanted to explore cultures, not resorts. Sadly, it is more of the same: Terribly inadequate text for a world that may, unfortunately, no longer have the patience to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Afar, August 14, 2013
CJ (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
Great travel magazine for those who enjoy traveling. Articles are informative, editorials are uplifting, and the issues are packed with great photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful magazine, new ideas for experienced travelers, October 1, 2014
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
We received a subscription to AFAR originally as a perk with a frequent flier program, but I liked the magazine so much, I renewed the subscription for another two years. The articles are typically aimed at the more affluent and slightly older traveler with some stamps in his passport pages, rather than the 20-something first timer on shoe string and a prayer backpacking through Thailand after college. Been there, done that and now I really appreciate the tid bits that AFAR offers - like the best leather shops and hidden luxury inns of central Spain or book shops in the back alleys of Florence with Michelin rated dining two doors down for a chef's tasting menu. It's a different take on travel with gorgeous photographs and new ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Travel Magazine, May 3, 2014
This review is from: AFAR (Magazine)
I love this travel magazine. The articles are interesting and well written. Definetely a cut above from other travel magazinez

AFAR