4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little "toy"
I just got this yesterday and I'm still building the music for it. I have not determined if it holds a charge or recharges well or that sort of thing. However, using the very detailed description of a previous review, I did some testing and I'm writing the review based on his. I have changed it where appropriate to fit my situation.

Biggest "Cons" to this...
Published 21 months ago by Occasional Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Wont cry because it didnt cost much
It was ok but wont stay charged over about an hour. Went to biglots within a week to buy another MP3. This was the last one for me to ever buy online
Published 15 months ago by michelle proctor

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little "toy", December 22, 2012

Biggest "Cons" to this device

1. No paperwork/instructions whatsoever!
2. No way to tell when it is fully charged.
3. No plastic storage box as promised in the description.

Common sense says to charge it first. You can charge it with or without a memory card plugged in. I had no problems using a High Speed USB port (USB3). Nor did I have any problems with my Vista machine recognizing it. However, with both Vista and Windows 7, an error message was received when I tried to 'eject' the device with a memory card plugged in. It did remove the drive from the list and the card seems unaffected.

THINGS THAT I HAVE LEARNED:

1. The USB cable must be pushed all the way in for it to charge or transfer files.

2. It should work in both USB2 and USB3 ports. Some have obviously had problems with USB3 ports.

3. There is no way to tell when the device is fully charged. From the description, a charge should last from 3 - 4 hours but there is no indication on how long it takes to charge.

4. When the device is plugged into your computer, your speakers may not work. They didn't for me on either my Vista or Windows 7 machine.

5. The earbuds that are included may be uncomfortable. If so, substitute other earbuds or, even better, headphones!

4. You can not insert headphones or earbud while the USB cable is plugged in.

5. Edited Change (August 2013). You CAN charge with the plug adapter for USB cables (such as the one for Amazon kindle). Even with the power off (as it should be), the red power light blinks just as it does while playing or while writing to the chip while it is in the device.

6. You should turn the unit OFF when recharging.

7. For Windows 7 or Vista users, it is easier and much faster to move files to the Micro SD card using an adapter and not using the USB cable supplied. Simply insert the Micro SD into the player and play your music.

7. The Music will be played in the order it has been written, by folders. For Vista and Windows 7, if you copy a group of files, it always copies the LAST item in the list first and then the rest of the list in alpha-numeric order. If it is important that your last item in the list BE last, then rename the first file to force to the bottom of the list and then make your selection.

8. It does recognize folders and can be used to group your music. It works like the root level, the folders will be found in the order they are created and then the music within thim in the order wirtten.

9. There is no screen, it simply plays MP3s in the order it it finds it. Use the forward and backward to skip in the appropriate direction. There is no shuffle.

10. The player is light weight (and such a pretty purple), which makes it easy to carry around.

11. For a variety of music, simply use multiple Micro SD cards, each with a different style/kind of music.

12. The device remembers where it left off. When you turn it on, it starts at the beginning of the song it was playhing when you turned it off. If not at a song, then the next song in the "list".

Edited note -- August 2013.

No battery life was given when I bought this device. A check shows, at least for me, that the battery lasts less than 2 hours! And that was after charging for 13 hours!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, May 10, 2013
MaDuke (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I have to say, I was floored by the negative reviews. First off, you plug it into your pc and let it charge all day. That is what I do. You can load as many songs as your micro sb card can hold and yes, it plays wonderfully. I use my own earbuds. I had the first one for two years and it never stopped working till just a few weeks ago. I think for 6 bucks you should not have so much to complain about; go pay top dollar for the iPod shuffle...

5.0 out of 5 stars Info on item, December 29, 2011
this is a quality player, however, it does not have it's own storage space. Be sure to purchace a 2, 4, or 8GB Micro SD card.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wont cry because it didnt cost much, June 14, 2013
michelle proctor (Birmingham, AL, US) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and compact!, December 28, 2012
When I ordered this MP3 player I didn't realize it had to have a memory chip. Once I got the chip I love it. It's simple to use, simple to charge, and so compact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome deal., February 11, 2013
I bought this for my sister who doesn't have the luxury of having any kind of MP3 player except the cheap ones you get with batteries in them. This is a great starter MP3 player for sure. The material on the outside is metal which is great for durability, I expected this to be cheap plastic due to the price, but this was an awesome deal and very good quality MP3 player for the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars nice but, April 17, 2012
My product came on time but it is hard to no when it is fully charged and hard to listen to the downloads if only it came with instructions

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the hassle., November 15, 2013
If you don't intend to use this long-term it would be ok, but the quality is comparable to the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!! Especially for the price of it!!!, July 29, 2013
I bought this for my little sister and she loved it!!! We bought it from Amazon Dandan USA!!! It works great!!!! I had a little memory card and it came with a UBS drive and the memory card fit perfectly in it!!!! It plays the music in the order you put them in and she loves it!!! It is so worth it it!!! I highly recommend it !!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars very old school, May 12, 2014
If you understand to only use it for emergencies (your real mp3 player is lost or out of juice) then it is fine and wont frustrate you. it takes a few hours to charge. Charge lasts for 2-1/2 to three hours. Make sure switch is off while charging. I put a 4gb card in it. It will synch with Windows Media Player playlist but will come out in alphabetical order (NOT the synched order from your playlist - I can live with that - just be aware). You can drag and drop from music folder. Old school button menu takes practice. Like riding an bike when you haven't ridden a long time. Nice to use and have - sparingly.