4.0 out of 5 stars Great product but not what it claims to be
Published 18 months ago by Simon Funk

Published 23 months ago by Alex Virs

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, it cannot get anywhere near 800x, or even 200x, November 27, 2012
This review is from: AGPtek® USB 800X Digital Microscope endoscope 2MP 8 LED Compatible with Windows and Mac OS 10.5 or above For Micro-measure Work
Unfortunately, this device isn't worth the money if you want use it as anything other than a digital magnifying glass. Absolute practical zoom limit around 40x. Any higher power cannot be focused except to get it INSIDE the plastic shield, but 200x would likely be in direct contact with the lens. There is no manual focus control. The included software is useless for Windows, looks to be a bit better for mac. Windows install includes the driver and an "application" with less features than a youtube video. The stand is weak, loosens effortlessly but at least it's real metal. The zoom/random-wrong-focus-selector is made of plastic. So is the on/off switch for the light, the activate/record button (which launches the software), and the front end of the device.

Even between 20x and 40x there is a total lack of focusability. There is no software and no documentation to correct this. There wasn't so much as an advert for other agptek stuff included in the box -- this thing is entirely undocumented and it makes me question the shining reviews from people who only used it to view coins and the like. Calling it a microscope is a complete misnomer, it cannot view anything microscopic. And in the case of the 800x model, you definitely had to at least be paying for it with that utility in mind. I'm returning mine for being completely unlike its advertising. The only way it could really be worse is if it didn't output images at all. In light of that fact, one star.

Any other would-be buyers, feel free to ask questions on this device, I *highly* recommend you look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product but not what it claims to be, April 23, 2013
The real specs are: 640x480 image sensor with two zoom levels that give about 7mm and 1.8mm fields of view (when flush to surface). That is, at the higher zoom, about 1.8 millimeters of whatever you are looking at will map to 640 pixels across, assuming you are using no digital zoom (which includes "full screen" mode in most viewers that will expand to fit). On my 19" screen, 1.8mm expanded to 640 pixels gives about 100x magnification. Everything beyond that is digital/software zoom (so I get 200x combined optical/digital magnification just by going full-screen). The box says "Image Sensor: 2.0 Megapixels (Interpolated to 2M)" which is their somewhat sleazy way of saying the 2.0 megapixels are interpolated pixels. They don't mention anywhere that the actual sensor is about 0.3 megapixels. (It's possible I am wrong about this, but this is what my research indicates. Others on the web have come to the same conclusion.)

That said, I'm happy with it because I bought it after playing with a friend's so knew what to expect regardless of the box claims. Note that even at just 100x true zoom, a human blood cell should be a little bigger than two pixels on the screen... Not bad for a hand-held device! The optics seem pretty good up to the true sensor resolution, so adding a little digital zoom for easy viewing still results in a pretty good image. I would give it five stars if it were just marketed more honestly.

Tip: when you have something in focus at the lower zoom [7mm f.o.v.], dial it out of focus, keep going, and eventually it will come back into focus again at about 4x the zoom [1.8mm f.o.v.]. For a while I didn't realize there was a higher zoom available.

It works out of the box on Linux (Ubuntu) in Cheese (webcam app), at 640x480. On a Mac the included software gives larger digital zoom options but the lag is pretty bad (perhaps just on my mac due to processor speed). Just use 640x480 and go full screen, and it's real-time and fine quality.

The USB identity of this scope is "0ac8:3610". If you google that you can find many reviews and images from either this same product or near clones which use the same sensor and probably optics. Some others have gotten slightly different fields of view (and hence effective zoom) than me, but generally in the ballpark. Not sure if that's variation between same model device, or different models using the same sensor and basic design but slightly different optics.

When you plug it in, it is on and ready to use. The "power" switch is for the LEDs only and is three state: bright, dim, off. So you can use it with the built-in lighting or external lighting or a combination. The red button served no function I noticed on Linux or Mac. I do not have a PC to test it on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on MAC (Lion), December 6, 2012
I should have taken heed on the so-so and negative reviews for this product. First off, the microscope will produce a clear image only at the lowest magnification. As another reviewer has stated, the unit will not provide a clear image at higher magnifications. The MAC software will not work other than powering the microscope. It will not allow me (running Lion 10.7.5) to capture images nor respond in any way.

I tried this device on a Windows 7 PC and the software did load. The Help screen contained only an About statement (read: No help information). Image magnification performed as above.

Stay away.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is 5 stars for what I need but edit of review giving it a 3, April 7, 2013
This little microscope does not look like much and you really need a stand in order to get a steady image. I took some pretty impressive pictures of some carbon-carbon composite at low magnification. I could not get this low of a magnification on my other equipment. Since it was under $40 and Amazon has such a great return policy, I took a chance and can not help but rate it a 5. So far I have gotten it to work on Windows XP and Windows 7. Next up, Windows 8. Will post a follow-up if you can use it on Windows 8.

I just used it with Windows 8 and with a little tinkering, I got it to work at the full 2MP range of camera. As one reviewed pointed out you will not be able to use it at 800X. I have just finished a rough calibration of it and think maybe 80X is the highest mag you can get. It is under $40 so I can work with it and I would not return it because it works so well for my use. Wish they would let us post pictures in our review to show what I am talking about. Yes it is bad that it does not include a manual and for people who don't know how microscopes and focusing work, this could be a big problem It is still 5 stars for me but more like 3 for those who need help. I would also agree that you would give it a 1 for falsely advertising the magnification. So I reduced my original rating to a 3.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was not what I wated I will be returning, December 6, 2012
I did not realize that it would have no manual instructions and that you have to be connects to the internet to even set the item up for use. I am returning it

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed, February 17, 2013
It's hard to adjust focus
just about impossible to take a picture
like i said "Not Impressed" do da day

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for the kids, September 18, 2013
Not as advertised. Software is very limited. The zoom range is not as advertised. I may be getting 40x and 100+ x . To change the zoom of the camera you have to cycle through the focusing ring and it only gives you two zoom ranges. Pictures come out good for the kids to explore thing s with and see bugs and other items close up. You do have to have the clear plastic guard touching the item.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trouble with setup, November 5, 2011
I bought this item for my father who is on speaking terms with computers, but not fluent.
He had a hard time setting the device up.
Once it was running it was OK - but I had to help over a remote client on his desktop.
It also did not get easily recognized the next time he wanted to use it.
So I would say the device is good while it works, but some versions of windows may have trouble with the drivers. I cannot speak to a Mac setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, January 9, 2014
First of all I am by no means a camera guy. I bought this microscope to use with my 6 year old who loves nature. When I got it I opened the box to find no instructions just the microscope and a disc. I put the disc in my computer,and that was it. I turned on the camera light and started checking out my finger prints.(Be sure to remove the clear lens cover before using.) The button for the camera can be a bit tricky to use without shaking the camera and I found that when you have something in focus if you turn the dial one way or the other it starts to focus again a lot closer. I'm not sure why there are so many negative comments for this camera,for the price it is an excellent tool for learning.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, January 12, 2013
Entire thing is fairly poorly built. Stand cant support the weight of the cam wen tightened. And some of the magnification settings cant be used without taking off the protective bezel.