Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

I have a metal bridge that goes across a stream in my backyard. After the yard guy oddly cut my last string of lights aomehow with a weed eater, it was time to string some new ones around the bridge.

I love the blue lights because it does not scream "holiday" so you can enjoy garden lights year round. Or lights around a porch or whatever! But come holiday, you can change these to the flashing setting and you've got your light show!

First, some trouble-shooting I noticed might could be an issue if one puts them up without reading the directions....

There is an on/off switch but it's covered by a non-movable tab. It appears that this is there to keep water from getting in from where you slide the switch. So it may appear to be on when you get it, but you actually need remove the tab to turn it on and then replace the tab. Easy to do...just pull it off, choose whether you want your lights just on or flashing, then replace it. And wait for dark for them to come on....

Secondly, there is a clear plastic film you can barely see over the solar light panel. Ithis protects it during shipping and all my solar items have them when they arrive If you don't peel this off, light won't get to the solar panel very well and eventually it will be so cloudy it won't get to it at all....peel it and place the panel wherever light can hit it well.

At the time of my review I could not find any other string of lights this long for this cheap on Amazon. And with 100 lights no less!

Solar lights are fantastic for holiday or year round because they turn themselves on and off and don't have to be near an unsightly plug. They can be strung in backyard trees year round and if you ever dine on your backyard deck, it makes it stunning to have lights in trees l(same reason restaurants do it around the bases) or, like me, around my bridge. Even around the supports for a deck roof is pretty

The strand is a nice and thick strand that should hold up well.

Thus far I have no complaints. They come on nightly and show up wonderfully.
on September 23, 2012
These lights are incredibly bright. nothing you will be able to ready by but for blue Fairy lights they are amazing. They last several hour,after most sunny days they stay on until midnight. I also have the yellow ones which are not as bright but last until 4am, crazy! Some tips for you. the plastic is not strong. put the spike in the ground before attaching the solar charger. do not try to use the charger as a handle to push the spike into the ground, it will break. However this turned out to be a good thing for me. I was able to place the solar unit on my fence with Velcro and discover the units take what looks like normal AA rechargeable batteries. so then it stops lasting as long as i would like I should be able to just pop new batteries in. Of course you don't have to break it to change the batteries, the unit has three screws. I am really happy with this purchase. I have no power in my back yard and these light really make me happy every night.
on March 15, 2012
I have these strung around some vines and trellises in my backyard. The look of them at night is awesome. The only problem is they do need a lot of direct sun exposure during the day and my vines only get 3-4 hours. Therefore, the lights don't stay on very long. I plan to get more and place them in another area of my yard that gets a lot more sun. They are very pretty and help to make my yard unique.
on December 23, 2012
Pros- nice bright light, holds a charge on full sunlight for the whole evening.

Cons- not constructed very well or weatherproofed. I was very happy with this purchase for the first 3 months and would have given it 4 or 5 stars....until

first light rain in southern california, and this thing is dead as a doornail.

Just as a personal rant, I recently cleaned out a garage for an elderly friend and unearthed dozens of American made appliances, that had sat unused for 20 or more years. All of them worked when dusted off and plugged in. I hate that almost everything I've bought in the past 15 years Chinese made, has barely lasted 2 or 3 years (sometimes far less like these lights). China is incredibly smart, in having us buy the same things over and over. No wonder it's thriving economically, and the US is going backwards. Even when I want to buy American made, there are often no American made equivalents available anymore. Sad. Really Sad to see this country becoming third rate.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 22, 2012
Actually that crazy idea has popped up through my head. I guess if you don't mind being tacky.

This is a long strand of LED lights. I was surprised the whole thing came in a small box. Why not, this contraption runs only with a single double A 1.5 battery. Well, that tells you how much lights you can get. It won't give you a lot of lights, but for a dark place like my deck at the back, it is sufficient enough to give us the warm holiday spirits when we look outside. It seems like a hundred blue fireflies blinking in unison.

Where else you put put this? Trees! We have trees around the house that are far from the AC outlets. Also, around the perimeter of the house where an AC outlet is not very accessible. Or if you want to be a walking human Christmas tree :)

Hack this?
I immediately opened the solar panel where it houses the single double A battery. To open it you only need to remove 3 screws. It has a single battery with no markings on it but the manual says it is a NiMh battery. I was planning to double the battery capacity to 2 Eneloops in parallel but the battery is permanently attached with an epoxy. Also doubts the ability of the solar panel to charge two batteries at the same time.

Limitations:
I live in Virginia. It is close to a freezing temperature when I installed this outside the deck and in about an hour the blinking slows down to about every 20 seconds. The cold weather seems to be affecting how it function, and most probably the battery. I transferred the solar panel inside the house behind the glass window and it's working great.
on August 3, 2012
I bought them for the patio hang them all around the patio roof, waited to see them lighted and they last only like one second and they go off. I guess the battery came bad. My husband bought LED electric ones from Ebay to replace these ones.
on January 21, 2012
I was so excited to have bought these to decorate our tree in the front of our house for Christmas. It was the first time we decorated. The lights are beautiful BUT you need to buy a few sets AND you have to make sure you put the solar panel in a VERY WELL SUNLIT place. Most of our sun light is in the back of our house. We were a little disappointed our first time decorating with lights for Christmas but they are very pretty to see up when we do get a great sunny day. :)
on July 30, 2013
These lasted all of about 3 months ... worked great until it rained one time too many (a rare event here in CO), then they were flickering in and out, and now that it's warm and sunny again, they're dead. I may take it upon myself to troubleshoot/diagnose, but the solar unit is so cheaply made that I'll probably break it in the process and finish the job with my sledgehammer. Very disappointed because these really did look great on our back deck ... just glad I only bought one string! Maybe they'd last longer in an indoor environment, but that's not how they're advertised. Wondering if it's worth buying another unit and doing some 'custom' weatherproofing with silicone sealant around all the areas where water might penetrate...of course you'd think that this would already be done at the sweatshop/factory in China.
on February 16, 2013
These are tiny starlights and they are nice once you figure out how to charge them. They must be turned 'on' and the on/off switch is covered with plastic--you must remove it, place on ON and then leave in sunlight to charge. There are no instructions with them so remember to turn them on even to just charge.
Aloha
update 27 JAN 2014

These have lasted under salty spray and wind...FOR A MONTH, THEN THEY STARTED FADING AND BLINKING AND FINALLY--WENT OUT ALTOGETHER
WHEN THEY WROK-THEY ARE NICE!They are teeny little twinkles in the night on our outdoor deck. Remember they are called 'fairy' because they are SMALL. Some negative reviews didn't read the description well. NOT for lighting-for atmosphere!
Cons:
BUT- if it is not a totally sunny day they DO NOT LAST ALL NITE LONG. They start to fade in/fade out at 6 sec intervals and then go dark. THEY LASTED 3 MONTHS BEFORE THEY DIDN'T WORK AT ALL.
on August 15, 2012
OMG they wrok, i live in the west indies and was so sad they didnt turn on, but then i read the first review which said to take the little tab off the on/off switch and the work!!!
I am so happy, bc my yard gets so dark. ill keep you posted on how they work in the future with all the rains

See 1 answered question