Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Length: 16 gauge - 50 ft spoolPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange

on October 30, 2010
it's speaker wire, it's 16 gauage speaker wire. I bought 14 and 18 guage wire to make sure I was getting the right wire. I used the 14 for the longer wire pulls (greater than 12 feet) and 16 guage for the shorter 10' pulls. I didn't use the 18 guage at all. The wire has 2 (two) different colored wires, one silver the other is gold. I used some great banana plugs that screw on from a company called Sewell, the plugs were on sale for about 5 bucks for a pack of 10.( ) I installed surround sound 7.1 speakers 8 (speakers).The banana plugs make changing the receiver around so much easier, you don't have to un-screw the speaker wires so much. The sound is great, it's so realistic, it fools my dog. Technology today has change so much, but speaker wire is still so important. You can't cheap out on speaker wire. That doesn't mean you have to buy super expensive wire. Amazon had/has the best price for great cable, they beat the big box stores prices and quality hands down. Everything I ordered came days before it was promised. Amazon does a great job even if the products are dropped shipped. When people ask what I want for my birthday or xmas I tell'm give me a card from Amazon, i'll find something there. Great store, great products, great prices.

Dan Hux
Raleigh, NC
on October 8, 2010
At time of purchase, was BEST price for true 14 gauge speaker wire (CAUTION: cheaper brands may be deceptive and count the wire coating with the wire as the guage size- VERY deceptive)

- True 14 gauge (if you need this gauge for the length of your particular run)
- Well marked polarity
- No nonsense quality wire (read reviews about physics of electric current etc and realize the low oxygen, super shielded, etc are just that- hyped marketing. i.e. Wouldn't buy Monster wire or cables unless your friends check out your brands and measure the height of your ceilings on the second floor to make sure you didn't go cheap.)

- As another reviewer noted could be marked every foot for measurement purposes (this was not important to me).
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2012
First, I can confirm that the actual product does not look like what is pictured in the official Amazon photo, as the wire now has a bright, continuous white line on the jacket of one of the wires. The other wire includes occasion black printing "RCA 14AWG SPEAKER WIRE" on it.

Second, I can confirm that the product is copper clad aluminum, not copper. If you look carefully through all of the reviews, you will note that the earlier iterations of the RCA speaker wire used to be 100% oxygen free copper. Not any more. Apparently with copper prices skyrocketing, it was no longer cost-effective to provide 100% copper wiring. Now, I'm not one of those audio enthusiasts that insists higher end wire sounds better, however, it is known that aluminum wiring has almost double the electrical resistance of copper wiring (recall Ohm's Law where voltage = current * resistance), so achieving consistency of your wiring is important).

Third, this wire is much more rigid (like thick lamp wire), in contrast to earlier versions of the true copper wire, which was much easier to bend.

Is this wire sonically inferior to the earlier wiring? I cannot say, but for other reasons, the earlier wiring was easier to work with, and was just worth more. However, you can get other 14awg lamp wire or speaker wire for much less (e.g. so this wire is no longer a good deal in its copper clad aluminum iteration.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2010
Save your money and buy this. Dont pay for monsters advertising......Have bought them many times after falling for all the hype. Nonsense, these are quality and a great value.
on July 26, 2010
There's not much to say about this speaker cable except that it works as advertised. This was the perfect amount to configure a 5.1 setup in my small living room. The cable is thick (definitely appears to be 16-Gauge) and it works. No complaints, especially for the price.
on November 28, 2010
Bought these to use with a new pair of Sony 120w speakers. The wire they come with just feels too thin to be able to deliver 120w of sound.

The sound quality, even at low levels, is very much noticeably improved by these wires (had stock on one, and these on the other). Also I just love the flat wire design. Hides easily under anything.

These are very easy to strip as well, not once did I have to restart because I cut a strand. With a knife, slit the clear edges of the casing, and score the casing in-between on both sides. Twist if off, and you're done.
on February 19, 2011
nice, high strand count. been using for a month with a new polk tl1600 setup and it sounds great. wire ran under the carpet and pad, there is a noticeable bump, but not as bad as normal speaker wire. wire is coded for polarity on the sleeve. fairly easy to strip the end with a razor blade by slicing 4 sides and then pulling off (with pliers is needed). added more photo for you to look at.
review image review image review image review image review image
on June 21, 2010
Unless you need it for outside and need a thicker coated wire....this wire will do you just fine. there is no reason to pay for name brand wire (like monster cable ect.) Underneath the conduit insulation it is still just copper wire. I bought this wire for my 15 yr old sons system we just got for his bday. He was worried because his friend had monster cable, so borrowed some monster cable from a friand to compare with this wire and we could not tell the difference. Him and his friends were impressed and his friend who we borrowed the cable from was dissappointed he spent so much money on the wire he bought.
on January 21, 2014
Do a search for "copper speaker wire 14 gauge" on Amazon and this is the fourth product that shows up. The first three are all oxygen-free copper. I wanted copper but didn't feel I needed oxygen-free so I bought this.

It's copper-clad aluminum, not copper, but it doesn't say that in the product specs. I didn't figure it out until I cut some. I feel defrauded by Amazon, not intentionally but through their carelessness. They should fix their search algorithm and require proper specifications on the product page.

As others have said this will work OK in short runs. However it is not the product I thought I was buying.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 25, 2014
This is the scenario.

I'm an audio engineer and I purchased three popular speaker wires in 16 gauge from amazon. Included were AmazonBasics,RCA  and C&E, the first two are copper clad and the third is pure OFC.

I convinced an associate of mine to allow the testing to be done at his facility, which only cost me some time in repair work that he needed done and some lively conversation over a sip of Gentleman Jack when we were finished.

I then lovingly created 6 foot and 30 foot cables of each wire and set out. This engineer's control room is certainly adequate for testing speaker wire.

It's built with no right angles, it uses dual density walls and floor and has bass traps and foam strategically placed to listen in front of his console. We used his mid-field monitors, which are Bag End MM8's that are powered by a Crown Reference 2 amp at about 350 wpc, pretty nice equipment.

We compared the wires against his own, against each other and in the different lengths. We listened to tracks in mono, we listened to samples, we tried drum tracks and piano.

We both agreed that there was a tiny difference in sound between his $250 cables and 30 feet of 16 gauge. We also agreed that 6 feet of 16 gauge made no difference. But we also couldn't say that the change in sound was bad, only that we thought that it did change.

The real problem came when we tried to decide about the extremes. Using 6 feet of pure OFC and 30 feet of copper clad or the opposite. Neither of us felt positive that there was any difference. We called in a third pair of ears and they were simply asked to listen to a song in mono through each speaker with the ability to turn either speaker off. But they were not told why. When asked if they sounded the same they said " Of course it did, it was the same song from the same speakers, why wouldn't it?". Okay....

People can buy whatever product that they choose to. I'm satisfied that at up to 30 feet, the cheapest 16 gauge's sound quality is adequate. There would also be little reason for many not to spend 2 ½ times more on pure OFC, because it's still not a lot of money for some to spend, I would spend more for longer lengths because I always have. If you try to break the wires with repetitive bending, copper clad will break before pure copper, but it takes a lot of bending.

After testing in a designed room using studio grade equipment, I think it unlikely that the equipment that most use in the listening area's that they listen to it, is going to show any recognizable difference with upgraded speaker wire.

But possibly the most interesting thing was that in the one setup that we were sure was different, 30 feet of copper clad and his pro cables, I couldn't say anything about better or worse, only slightly different. If he used cheap wire, no one would walk in and say that his system sounded bad.

Now you know what I know.

I have no recommendation for you because I understand that some people do not believe that advertising is purchased by a product seller to get you to buy their product, some enjoy infomercials and some just go with the flow. So the decision is completely yours.

I would say to you that of all the equipment and wiring used in audio reproduction...That as long as you follow common sense rules, speaker wire may be the least important piece of it by several times over.

The reason for this wires 4 star rating is because I purchased a 50 foot roll, which was a poor value, 100 feet would change that and if you want 14 gauge copper clad this could be your best value and 5 stars.