5.0 out of 5 stars A Ten Star Experience of the Father's Love
**********
And yes, this book will change your life...

I just finished reading "AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything" and I do think that reading this book will lead anyone to a fresh experience of the Father's love for them. Fresh. Even if they've been a Christian for a long time.

The book starts out really slow, and was a tad...
Published 4 months ago by O. Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Check your notes and theology
Published 1 month ago by Workin' from home

5.0 out of 5 stars A Ten Star Experience of the Father's Love, April 25, 2014
**********
And yes, this book will change your life...

The book starts out really slow, and was a tad boring to me since I am really familiar with the story of the prodigal son in the Bible. The book was also not appealing to me and felt gimmicky, especially with the many pastoral self-deprecating comments and stories from the author. All of that flipped--strongly flipped--for me after the chapter on Talking to Yourself (about a third of the way through the book)...the suspense and the personal impact I felt continued to build after that until it made a strong crescendo at the very end.

This is a life-changing book. It tells the old, old story of the prodigal son in a fresh way that is convicting on so many levels that it is hard to put into words. I have read others and this is fresh. Even for long-time Christians and for people who don't know the Lord at all. Buy it. And then read it from the very beginning, in order--even through the slow beginning--and allow God to work in your life as He has perhaps never done before. This was my experience, and I think that the author has crafted this book so that it will be the experience of each reader. This in itself is quite an achievement.

I have been, interestingly, on Step Two of a Twelve Step program, trying to capture the idea of a God whom I totally and completely believe it...BELIEVE IN...but Who does not truly love or support me in any type of meaningful way. I BELIEVE that He loves and supports me--intellectually--but have not FELT this in any way that is lasting beyond a glimpse or a moment or a slight yet precious impact on my life.

So, in the reading of this book, I have truly encountered this God whom I follow and believe in...the author leads the reader step by step through the different ideas he presents and through common objections the reader may have. It reminds me of when I was in sales and I presented my product and then took the sales prospect through each of the common objections she might certainly have; and then I would easily make the sale. This author had me sold...in a way so that it was literally impossible to put the book down. I know that I will be forever changed by the reading of it.

Highest recommendation, if you think you might be ready to have an intense experience of God as Father. Or if it is something you think you might not be ready for but you just want, badly. Or if you want it for someone else and you think that it might be time. Or if you are, like me, searching to begin to intimately know--on an emotional level--the Father you have believed in and tried your best to follow for so long.

Ten stars, for the experience you will have in the process of reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, February 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is easy to digest with short chunks that should be read then pondered. I love how he shows the many ways God gives us warnings and opportunities to back away from decisions that will grieve God and harm us. This is a book I couldn't read in one sitting, but instead would read a portion, meditate on its application and implications, and then continue to the next part.

5.0 out of 5 stars AHA!, March 12, 2014
In Kyle Idlemans book, AHA (Awakening, Honesty, Action) Kyle takes us through the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15. Describing the experience of being in the distant country, (this Distant Country can be defined as any area of our lives that we have walked away from God) and then coming to his senses.

What drives many travelers to the Distant country is that they are running from a god that doesn’t exist. Kyle goes on to discuss that for one reason or another, their perception of God doesn’t match up with reality. They are rejecting a god they created and not the true God who created them.

The prodigal son and his perception of what it would be like without his dad but only with his money was not correct. The son still chose to leave and do it his way. Sooner or later living in the distant country the alarm will begin to sound saying stop, turn around, change, get up and to of here. Too often we do like the prodigal did, we ignore it. The prodigal son in Luke 15 didn’t hear the alarm until the pig pen.

- Didn’t hear while he made his request to his father asking for his share of the inheritance.
- Didn’t hear as his wallet became thinner and thinner while in the Distant country.
- Didn’t hear it while a famine swept through the land.
- Didn’t hear it while he took the job of a pig sitter.

He continued to hit snooze. God will allow us to experience a sampling of what we can expect if we don’t wake up.
Grab this book and read the painful but extremely encouraging and hopeful adventure as Kyle lays it out in everyday language and examples with scripture to prove it.

In closing, I enjoy the most where Kyle points out: “We expect God to be an angry father who demands justice, but through Jesus, He gives us love and grace when we don’t deserve it. Ultimately, the story in Luke 15 isn’t about two sons who disobey. It is about a Father who loves His children unconditionally.”

How would your life be different if you woke up when God sounds the first alarm?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read - insightful, challenging, January 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you know someone walking in the wrong direction – “wrong” being defined as away from God – this is a great book. It’s also a very good book for every Christian to read to remind us that we can all take steps in the wrong direction – and our God is loving and gracious enough to send us warnings that we are headed down a dangerous path. Idleman does a good job of casting a wide net over so many of the common missteps that people make…and the common excuses we tend to use to try to cover and hide those mistakes. Even when we are not honest with ourselves, God still sees. Idleman reminds Christians that it is better to repent and return to a right way of living – and the sooner the better! For some, warns Idleman, only “rock bottom” will wake them up. For others, a good honest evaluation or shared wisdom from good friends can help bring light to a dark area of life. Whatever the case, when that AHA moment happens – that awakening, that moment of clarity and honesty, Idleman strongly suggests that the person take action and move in God’s direction. It’s never too late to feel the loving embrace of our gracious heavenly Father!

1.0 out of 5 stars Check your notes and theology, August 13, 2014
This review is from: AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything (Paperback)
I loved the Not A Fan book, but was really disappointed in Aha. I wish I had spent the money a better way, as reading this book just left me with some frustrations. The book is mostly based on the story of the prodigal son. However, I think Idleman really misses a lot of things, as he assumes that the older brother never had an "aha" moment, and it's most probable that he did - even if you check Matthew Henry's commentary, you will see this explained, so it worries me a bit that this pastor would preach or write about something without including all the facts, or leaving out some of the facts to further make his point. The concept of the book is that we will have aha moments that will lead us back to God, or will keep us from trouble - as when he said that the fender bender in the parking lot might keep you from the deadly accident on the freeway - WHAT??? So my friend that was in a deadly accident and whom I consider as someone really close to God clearly must have missed their aha moment - at least according to Idleman - what is that supposed to make us think as Christians - does that mean that every bad thing that happens to good people is because they missed their aha moment??? Like when a young Christian couple in love with the Lord loses their child at birth? How can that be, it just does not make sense to put a blanket over everything like this and put everything under one playing field. What about the person that Never had a fender bender but then Was in a deadly accident on the freeway? Wouldn't that lead folks to believe that God didn't care enough about them to give them a small aha moment at first to keep them from real serious harm? In fact, Idleman shares one story in which an older gentleman joins him at the coffee shop, but then this gent spills his coffee on Idleman's laptop - Idleman is clearly miffed that the gent is not that concerned, and Idleman takes off like a bolt of lightening to see if he can save his precious laptop. Yes, I know laptop's are important - but it is clear that Idleman thinks this gent should have had an aha moment, as he says that when he sees him even weeks later, the man just casually jokes about it - and Idleman is agast that this guy will not have his aha moment and realize what, that he should have been more careful with his coffee??? I couldn't help but think that Idleman needed to have an aha moment here, and realize that if someone suddenly joined him at coffee, that he should have immediately closed his laptop and put it away - he should have invested that time in a human, instead of being on line, writing a book or making out his next sermon notes. The truth is, we will always have moments that will turn us back to God - and I think as we mature as Christians, that those moments are more subtle and more constant - like a conversation sort of. We don't always have to be whacked over the head to have an aha moment, or wait for that to turn back to God. I don't think this book contains anything that most Christians didn't already know. I recommend saving your funds and maybe giving that amount to the poor, or investing it in another way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, April 19, 2014
This review is from: AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything (Paperback)
I liked "Not a Fan" better, but this was a good book. The title is a little mis-leading in my personal opinion. It really is a book about why you aren't following God. I really liked the section on the 3 types of denial. He does a really good job on the last 1/2 of the book. The first half of the book was "non-descript" to me for some reason. The last 1/2 of the book was excellent. I love his interpretation of the prodical son. That story told by Jesus always bothered me, but once I read this book, I had a better appreciation for it. The story always bothered me because the younger son was disrespectful, spoiled, arrogant, while the father was enabling and allowed his disrespect. However, the way I interpreted it after reading Kyle's book, we ALL are like the younger son - trying to get away with everything and taking everything for granted that God gives us. When we realize we have used everything up that God gave us (or didn't use them to the abilities we were given), then when we go back to him, God (like the father) welcomes us back with open arms. If we truly appreciate and acknowledge what God gives us, and we learn from our mistakes, then that is what God is happy about - we picked coming back to Him and loving Him over all the other stuff. We do this as parents too - our little 10 month old wants us to let go so they can learn to walk. We lovingly give them a little support but then we let them go to fall and make their mistakes. They may hurt themselves and cry, but then we open our arms to them when they reach back for our love and understanding. That is what God does. He gives us choices and if we learn from our mistakes, he is happy.

And as for the older brother, again my old interpretation bothered me - of course we should love the son that was loyal to the father, right?? Of course he should feel angry that his dad opened his arms up to his spoiled brother coming home, right? No...not really. He should have been mature enough to understand the lesson his brother HAD to learn to appreciate the good things in life. Kyle says both the brothers have faults because the older one just mooched off his dad and never experienced life and mistakes to understand how good he had it. I think this story Jesus tells is more about how when we carry the crosses God presents to us, it allows us to experience frustration, sadness, pain and that only makes us realize that God is great and that all good things come from Him.... We run back to him and he opens his arms and is grateful we chose Him over depression, anger, guilt, terminal frustration.... Good book, good concepts presented.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best way to have God in your life, May 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While I agree with Kyle's A(wake). (H)onesty. (A)ction may be the 3 essential factors on bringing a 'prodigal' son or daughter back to the Christian life and having God in their lives, it is not particular the best way to keep God in mind and sight.

From Kyle's point of view, people must hit rock bottom or life-threatening event that changes a person and thus turning to God for help is the AHA moment. This may be true for 'Distant Country Travelers' but does this mean that all Christians should and must have traveled to the 'Distant Country' before being close to God?

The stories were all to narrowly focused (and may be misguiding) as I would have like for Kyle to mentioned that those who stayed with God throughout their lives have smooth sailing lives - which is not a bad thing at all, and are as fulfilled as those who have traveled the 'Distant Country'.

2.0 out of 5 stars We've been here before... and we will be again..., April 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Early in this book, the author remarks that if you're looking for a self-help book, you should look elsewhere... and then proceeds to write, imho, a self-help book with 3 steps to a better you.

There's nothing wrong with that, but I feel like many of these younger "mega-pastors" churn out the same book over and over, changing out the stories (all of which have the feeling of "Joe Bloe's life was a less until he came to our church and heard one of our sermons and by the way we're not like all those religious nut cases that you grew up with... blah blah blah). Idleman isn't the first to do this, and won't be the last. But I sometimes suspect that these guys with huge churches (the book claims Idleman's is one of the five largest in the US) think that if they turn their sermon series into books and tell stories about how awesome their church is, their church will grow even more...

...so I'm a little cynical, don't you think? Sorry about that...

I will give it two stars, because if you haven't read one of those books yet, and this is your first, it is most likely worthwhile. But if you're only going to read one book by this author, skip this one. Read the first one, "not a fan" which this reviewer really enjoyed, and didn't get the same feeling from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Insights from a Familiar Parable, April 4, 2014
AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything by Kyle Idleman is a book that takes the (what can sometimes seem) overly familiar parable of the Prodigal Son and shows through multiple real-life examples just how modern and relevant this tale is today—for “sinners and saints” alike! The title stands for Awakening Honesty and Action – and goes through how important each step is for a change to be long lasting and true. One step while not paired with the other two is common but makes it so that real change never happens.

This is the first book of Kyle’s that I’ve read, although I thought that his Not a Fan (which is now a best seller) looked like one I’d really enjoy. His writing style is very easy to relate to, open, and easy to read—much like many other amazing Christian authors of the day—names like Max Lucado, Francis Chan, and David Platt come to my mind. I appreciated how he mixed in personal anecdotes with Biblical examples and gave it all in a way that was very easy to grasp but also thought provoking.

He starts out by talking about Self Help books and how this book is about as opposite of those as you can get—because “self can’t help”. I loved this because I’ve always felt perplexed at the massive amount of self help books as well, and agree with his statement that if they actually worked there would only be one book of each written!

My favorite part of AHA actually came at the very end. After talking about the Prodigal son and all of the different things, steps, and actions he went through—he doesn’t stop there. Many times sermons about the prodigal son stop at the Father wrapping him up in his arms. Kyle reminds us, however, that there is another son in this story—and one we can learn from just as much as the prodigal. I loved his section on “The Older Son” and what we as “good Christians” need to guard against and be careful of. A lot of things in that section really hit home and I love that he included it!

It was a great book and one that I will be adding to my bookshelf for keeping! If you can relate to the prodigal or even if you’re more of the “older brother” type—there is something in this book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Idleman has done it again by offering his readers a fresh and crisply written work that moves their hearts and minds, March 26, 2014
FaithfulReader.com (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything (Paperback)
When Kyle Idleman, a teaching pastor at Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, Kentucky, asked a bookstore clerk where the self-help section was located, he was suddenly on the receiving end of a funny stare. He was sure the employee was looking him over to assess where he most needed some self-help. Funny though the story is, Idleman reports that a recent article notes there are at least 45,000 self-help books in print today. No matter what you need help with, you’re sure to find at least a few books to help you, well, self-help.

Idleman notes that because everyone knows something is wrong, we’re quick to jump on the six steps to fixing it. He wants to make one thing clear from the very outset: AHA is not a self-help book. In fact, “This journey begins with a rejection of your self’s offer to help.” Instead of self-help, we will be asking God for help, supernatural help that comes when a person experiences that AHA moment. It can happen anytime, anywhere. Even here, right now.

In three-part harmony, Idleman breaks his eye-opening resource into three distinct sections where he discusses the 1-2-3 step process of his AHA formula.

Part 1: Sudden Awakening --- when you come to your senses; you are in the middle of a desperate moment; and you have a startling realization.
Part 2: Brutal Honesty --- when you start talking to yourself; you might try denying it; or you may attempt to project it by not taking personal responsibility; or you may even minimize it.
Part 3: Immediate Action --- it’s time to get up; rejecting passivity; procrastinating by putting it off; defeatism by giving up; the final AHA (and final reckoning).

Idleman shares some funny and not-so-funny stories of people who can be defined by each of these various segments found within the AHA process. Some folks have their AHA moment of realization, in which they recognize they’ve been wrong, make changes, and start growing strong toward what God wants them to become. Others experience the first part of the AHA moment but fall apart somewhere along the line in the brutally honest process, or fail to take immediate action and then wind up right where they started before their AHA moment.

Each chapter is full of lively and sometimes harrowing examples of real folks who messed up, made good, and then remade their lives. Idleman does a terrific job of supplying lots and lots of hope along with his strong admonition to heed God’s call to a holy life. In a world where morals and Godly values are slip sliding away, this book is exactly the kind of boost the church needs. Idleman has done it again by offering his readers a fresh and crisply written work that moves their hearts and minds out of neutral and into forward motion.

Reviewed by Michele Howe

AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything
AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything by Kyle Idleman (Paperback - March 1, 2014)
$14.99 $13.20