5.0 out of 5 stars It really works.
I just cannot understand how cell phone signals work.... how you can set your phone on a desk and the signal goes from one bar to four bars to no bars and back again.

But I was having trouble with dropped calls and inconsistent signals throughout my home, even though I live in an area that should get a strong signal, according to Sprint's coverage map...
Published on November 24, 2011 by R. Gimmel

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but there's a risk
It's a useful device. I have one, provided free by Sprint because their coverage is weak in my area of Silicon Valley.

Published on February 16, 2012 by John Nagle

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but there's a risk, February 16, 2012
This review is from: AIRAVE Airvana Version 2 Sprint Access Point CellPhone Signal Booster (Wireless Phone Accessory)

When the phone is near the Airave, you get five bars on the phone, of course. But you get VOIP voice quality, since it's sending over your DSL line. Expect more voice lag than normal. Sometimes there's enough lag that the echo cancellation fails and I hear my own voice echoing back.

There's a risk with the device. If you lose your DSL connection, the Airave won't easily let go of the phone. It still tells Sprint phones that it's a valid cell site. So you can't call the outside world on your cell phone at all. Turning the phone off and on will not help. Turning the Airave off will, and then you can access the regular Sprint cell towers again, assuming you can reach one. This could be a big problem in an emergency. You can lose landline, Internet, and cellular all at once.

Sprint ought to fix that one. If an Airave loses Internet connectivity, it should drop out of the cell network.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works., November 24, 2011

The Airave solved the problem... totally. I now get consistent five-bar strength throughout my 3,400 sq. ft. home.

Physical set-up took about 30-minutes, and it took about another 45-minutes for the unit to initialize. (Instructions say to allow up to two hours for this.) You must have a high-speed Internet connection for the unit to work.

Instructions are simple and easy to understand, and the unit is easy on the eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars This works, I love it!! Full bars, clears calls, faster mobile internet..., January 11, 2012
This is a superb device, it does more than what's promised. It not only boosted my signal to full bars (I have clear calls everywhere) but also my phone's data connectivity and I couldn't believe how easy it was to install. That's all you need to know but if you would like more specifics please read below:

Details:

Installation - Couldn't have been easier and the instructions are superb. Unpack, connect the device to your router/modem (ethernet cable included), connect to your computer (optional, I did it anyway and it paid off in dividends will explain later), connect GPS cable (if necessary, I needed it), power up, watch the led's and wait for GPS, Broadband and Mobile to go solid. Sprint says it can take up 2hrs my connectivity was active in less than 5 mins. That's it and you're ready to go, my phone has full bars everywhere, call clarity is excellent. From opening the box to tossing the packing, I was done in less than 20 mins.

Operation - Just let it do it's thing. You can tell the Airave is being accessed when the 'Mobile' led blinks. You can tell your call is routing through the device because of two beeps #from your cell# when you place or answer a call. Should you leave your abode/office and return it takes less than 1 min for your cell to connect to the Airave. If you're on a call, doesn't matter if you're coming or leaving, the transition to between Airave and tower is seamless.

Custom Configuration - Most users will never need this but I live in an apartment building and I noticed other cell phones accessing the Airave...if enough mobiles access at once this could affect my internet speed/usage. I called Sprint and asked if there was a way to restrict cellphones to just myself/family/friends. Again, incredibly simple, spent 8 mins on the phone, the tech walked me through the steps. When purchased through Sprint the Airave comes preconfigured to your account, if you go through Amazon (cheaper option) just remember to call Sprint to provision the device. Hence, just log in online to your account, click 'My Preferences/Manage My Airave/Users' and enter the number/numbers #I think you can enter up to 50# you want to use. You can also set signal strength and Zip code. The changes take affect right away. I am a technology professional and needed to configure IP/DHCP and traffic properties. Again, very simple, open your browser/enter the IP/enter default permissions. The device is limited to the basics but entered my preferences and settings took right away, no rebooting etc.. Very slick piece of equipment.

Data - The device emits a full 3G signal with full bars and noticed it is significantly faster than my 4G with 4 out of 6 bars (never tried 4G with full bars).

Other noteworthy points - I was really, really surprised because it cleaned up my internet connection and everything is a little snappier. I use Netflix as a litmus test for internet performance and this is a good example: Between my living room and the router, I use a wireless bridge, it's great but came with a slight performance penalty. When streaming Netfilx, the HD would toggle on/off but when I connected my computer to the Airave it stayed solid. I tested going back to the old way and sure enough the Airave was the way to go. The technical explanation to the aforementioned is; with the Airave I drop less packets. I can make calls while streaming Netflix and there is no loss of call clarity and HD performance. This is pretty slick and only ever seen this type of performance in Enterprise level products.

I purchased my Airave through Sprint and if you go through Amazon (which is cheaper) just remember to call Sprint to provision the device otherwise it might not always behave itself. You won't be charged but it will then be linked to your account (like mine) and you will be able to configure signal strength, restrict mobile access to just you/friends/family and set the zip code.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, full bars indoors, November 16, 2011
sonnojoi "sonnojoi" (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Sprint gave me one of these for free when I told them (within the 14 day period I could have cancelled my service) that I was getting poor reception in my house. This thing was a snap to set up and now all three of our phones get full bars indoors which, assuming call reliability matches, is fantastic.

2.0 out of 5 stars got a refurb, bad idea. shuts off for days, then magically turns back on., June 21, 2012
When it is on and working, get 5 bars everywhere in my house. Downstairs, upstairs, outside in the yard. Without it, I get 1 bar, maybe 2 if the planets are in alignment. Oh, did you know if your cell signal is weak, your phone uses more battery to hold on to that single bar? I got this because when my iPhone is in standbye, it auto switches from wifi to 3g. I got a refurb from amazon. Bad idea. I don't know if it's because it's a refurb or the stupid thing just does this... it shuts off for days at a time, then magically turns back on for a few days. When I called Sprint to activate it they had mentioned it would cost 5.00/month for the use of the device. Then after talking with the tech, they mentioned had I called them they would have given me one for free since I had such bad connectivity. They do not charge me the monthly fee. Otherwise I'd pitch a bitch and want a new one from Sprint verses this crappy refurb that turns on and off without warning. As for call clarity, it's a little laggy when speaking to other cell phones. I am used to this with VOIP because I have vonage and timewarner voip phones and they are laggy when talking to cell phones. (I have a 50mb/5mb internet connection) If I had to pay for this service, I would bitch. Lesson learned... skip the refurbs. Call Sprint if your service sucks and tell them you want an airave. They will send you one for free. If it doesn't work, you can get another one sent. I'm left looking at an airave that currently is not working. It may work tomorrow or the next. Who knows?

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work as advertised., February 23, 2012
I used to have good Sprint reception at my house for years. Then for some reason it became terrible. Sprint claimed the coverage in our area was fine and nothing had changed. But it wasn't only our Sprint phones that had terrible service, it was anyone that came over that had a Sprint phone too. Since we had been with Sprint mobile for over 15 years, we didn't really want to abandon them for AT&T or Verizon. And both of those companies don't have very good service in our area either. So we decided on an Airave.

The experience hasn't been good. Sprint claims once the GPS signal has been locked on through a nearby window, you can roll up the cord and stow it next to the unit and the GPS lock will remain. That isn't true at all. Once you move the GPS reciever away from the window, it immediately loses it's lock. The only way for it to work is to leave the GPS receiver permanently next to the window. The only place we can make the Airave work is in our living room. And now we permanently have a black wire running diagonally across our beige carpeted living room. It looks terrible but it has to stay or the device doesn't work.

Another problem is sometimes you can be standing 3 feet from the Airave and only get 3 bars out of 6. It's nearly worthless. If you're 15 feet away in the open room, you'll have no bars. And sometimes you'll have no bars and then suddenly get 6 bars. Then before you know it, it's back to no bars. It fluctuates all over the place. So you can be on a call 10 feet from the Airave with 4 bars, and halfway through your conversation the call drops because you now have no bars. I've even had calls drop while I was 3 feet away. I'd say the net benefit of the Airave has only been 1/2 or 1 bar of improved reception over not having an Airave at all.

Even upgrading our phones from a Palm Centro and a Palm Pre to a Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch and a Motorola Photon 4G didn't help.

The Airave is nearly worthless. When it's behaving, it's great. But it only works as advertised about 40% of the time and the cord across our living room is unacceptable.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can use my phone again!!!, December 7, 2013
I only had one bar of service in my new apartment - coverage here is super spotty. Make sure you call Airave support after you do the initial installation so they can add it to your Sprint account. Also, you might need to hit that reset button a few times as well. Be ready with the MAC address on the bottom when you call support and they will ask about your modem/router setup as well. Mine took a few hours to get up to speed so once I knew they were able to communicate with it on their end I told them I would call back if it didn't fully initialize. A few hours later and my roommate had 5 bars. Now we can have a conversation anywhere in the apartment and even at the same time (and not in the parking lot or standing next to my bedroom window... It's been in the 20s-30s so I would prefer to stay inside for my phone calls.) I get nervous w refurb items but this one worked out. Just make sure you call Airave - do NOT call Sprint!!! I made that mistake and they were soooo clueless. They routed me to the sales department who sent me back to customer service. Three people later and I was given the AIrave number (had I thoroughly read the instructions I would have saved myself a headache...) Use this number: 866-556-7310. They picked up on the 2nd ring and it was a human! When does that ever happen??

4.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION: someone posted wrong images, January 15, 2013
I have had the old Airave made by Samsung, and the 2nd gen, made by Airvana, someone posted here a ton of images from the Samsung model, don't know how to report it to Amazon.
But this newer version supports data (3G), whereas the older one did not.
All and all works better than Sprint towers, even though I have many bars i'd miss calls, not anymore.
I had some issues with the GPS, it showed me 50 miles away, screwed up location on my Smartphones.
I am looking out for the 3rd version "Airvana 2.5" which has an extended range of 5,000 feet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but not with iPhone 5, September 27, 2012
Our original Airave helped a very little with our weak cell signal problems. Upgrading to the Airvana model helped significantly after two things: buying a faster broadband connection from U-Verse and after Spint Airave Technical Support increased the power of the Airave. (I understand the default is the lowest power, suitable maybe for about a 1200 sq. ft. house. The higher power can only be turned on by Sprint Airave Support.) Now that it finally works well we had to turn it off! It does not work with texting with the iPhone 5. Many iPhone 5 users are complaining although some say they do not have problems. Not only does it block texting when in Airave covverage, if you do not turn your iPhone 5 off and on again after you leave Airave coverage texts are blocked. The only exception seems to be that texting with other iPhones does work. That would be ok if everyone we know had iPhones but that is never going to happen. I spent almost four hours with Sprint support and finallly found out that it simply doesn't work by doing an internet search. The solution according to some may be an update by Apple. So now either the iPhone 5 gets returned or we just have switch to a carried that has better signal strength where we live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as promised, February 6, 2012
John D Porter (Bridgeport, CT, US) - See all my reviews
I received this item in two business days after the order from the USPS. I got it wired up and called the Sprint Airave Support to activate it. It took some restarting and some time, but an hour later, I am up and running with a perfect 5 bars of signal. The 3G it creates is fast enough to play Netflix at full resolution on my iPhone. Of note is that it takes about 5 minutes to fully start and during that time, the "router" portion that shares the internet signal back out is shut down. All in all, I am thrilled to have great signal around my office.

Rate and Discover Movies