5.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound. Good value
I picked up a pair of these when they came out and they've done the job quite well as backup mics. They don't have the magical sound of premium microphones (my primary mics cost me a LOT more money), but they offer a rich feature set and sound pretty decent. I do primarily live classical recording, and I've used these both as spots and as a secondary main pair...
Published on November 25, 2010 by Personne

3.0 out of 5 stars might be my pre amp.
Seems to be either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. gonna try a different preamp and see if that helps. also the three settings on the mic just seem to muffle the sounds more and I'm not noticing a difference when toggling between the three. I think you should just save the extra cash and go with a better mic.
Published 14 months ago by Joseph J LaMacchia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound. Good value, November 25, 2010
Personne (Rocky Mountain West) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)

In a world full of cardiods, many beginning recordists are unaware of the effectiveness of other techniques. Multipattern mics let you easily experiment with both M/S (Mid-Side) and Blumlein recording. In a nice room, spaced omnis can also make the recording feel more natural. These mics are perfect for performing that sort of experiment, and they'll give you a result that you won't be ashamed of.

I should also point out that the shock mount that comes with this mic is very nice, as is the carrying case. In the last few years, we've had a flood of inexpensive microphones. Some are good and some aren't. These are good.

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE, February 13, 2013
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)
NICE MIC I HAVE HAD THIS MIC FOR 3 YEARS NOW NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE NOR HAVE I EVER HAD ANY COMPLAINTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, bright mic, June 15, 2014
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)
I've used this mic for about two years to build web videos and do live webinars exclusively for vocals. The option to switch patterns coupled with a steady home-made boom lets me really dial in the sound I want for a given project. It's very good at axial discrimination for a mic in this configuration, so be sure to give it the opportunity to be positioned somewhat precisely. Often small rotations or changes in angle in a reflective environment can have dramatic results.

The response is flat to slightly bright, so I tried using an inexpensive tube preamp to warm things up. The 420 did not play well with the model I used, so I chose instead to tweak the reflection environment and run some post filters. Right now, I run the dry signal through a small desktop mixer out through an Alesis A/D converter cable into my Macbook Pro. It's a solid, fast setup.

For the money, I don't think you can get a better mic for VO or projects with similar dynamics. There is an attenuation switch so it can be used with dynamic instruments, but I've not tried that setup. There is a little body noise when handling, but it's an acceptable trade and easily managed with a good mount.

The shock mount is very nice, and fits well within the included case. No need to swap it out unless you have something already. The powder coating on the collar ring can cause a little sticking, so work that a bit to smooth it out.

I'd really like a dial for the pattern for even further refinement, similar to the control unit for the 820 (which is nearly three times the price and is an actual tube mic). That being said, 90% of this can be compensated for by positioning and post-processing. Sometimes that last 10% matters, though :)

Overall, this an amazing value for general use. If you will have a range of voices to work with and need something to work with all of them, start here. There is a big jump in price to get more precision or character out of this kind of package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice microphone, June 5, 2013
Richard Wilson (Shingle Springs, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)
I use this microphone to record radio spots and it is one of 5 different microphones I own for this purpose. It quickly has become my faorite, "go to" microphone. You can jump to a microphone that costs 4-5x more, but you would be hard pressed to hear a difference. A very good microphone at a good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST MIC FOR THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, August 16, 2014
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)
This is got to be the best Microphone in the Planet!!! makes my voice sound like a real artist in a studio!! it comes 100% as described!!
I bought it brand new and came in its own little box but not just a carton box, its an actual case heavy duty!!! like a case you will purchase to protect this beauty. comes with a nice sipder shock mount... Does not come with cables. and you need a Amp to power this thing up like a power supply thing for XLR MICS I RECOMMEND THIS ONE "Nady SMPS-1X 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply" THIS IS WHAT I USE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very good, June 7, 2014
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)
I love this mic's sound, very solid and easy to use. I recomend it 100%, no doubt about it. Go for it

5.0 out of 5 stars It has a nice warm character that is missing in many of the ..., October 20, 2014
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)
The AKG 420 condenser mic is very smooth! It has a nice warm character that is missing in many of the condenser mics. It is not bright or brittle but, very natural sounding and works well on female vocals, guitars or any acoustic instruments. For the price this new diaphragm design is a welcome departure from the traditional Mylar capsules and a very good value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Very Clear, March 4, 2014
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)
All of the music that is being recorded is very clear! I love this and so does my customers too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Product as Described, December 27, 2013
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)
The product was exactly what was described, no substitute was sent, and the recipient was pleased with the product, as this was a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal clear, versatile, and HUGE bang for the buck, October 29, 2013
This review is from: AKG Perception 420 Professional Microphone (Electronics)
I do a lot of recording. This mic is my most used mic for individual instruments, mono channel recordings. Recording live events where you really want to hear the sound of the "room". It adds nothing to the recording, and thats what I like about it. It stays true to the sound you are making without adding it's own layer of "color" to the mix. This is a solid go-to everything mic, and its multiple polarity patterns are the feature that set it apart from the other mics in the AKG perception family such as the 100,200 and220 (all of which I have used and couldn't wait to trade out for this mic). The AKG Perception 420 is a keeper!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›