AKG Q460 Mini On Ear Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Line
Size: !Only Bluetooth 2.0Color: LimeChange
Price:$89.80 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 14, 2013
I was wondering why there were so many 2 star and 3 star reviews on this model. Where I live (Germany), there are places where you could test-listen 30~40 headphones at once. I tested 30 headphones for 2 hours, and this one was hands-down winner for portable source devices. Everything was perfekt: sound stage, comfort, clarity, highs, mid-range, lows, you name it. I tested against products many times more expensive than this one (Sennheiser, Dr. Dre, Denon, B&W, B&O, etc.). It's easy on any device with 125 db sensitivity. Without a headphone amp, it sounds great with I-Pod, Lumia and Galaxy S3, and heavenly with the venerable Astell & Kern AK100. See my review for this one here: Astell&Kern AK100 Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) Portable System The best thing about this headset is comfort -- easily the most comfortable set on the head, with no listening fatigue.

So I ordered one from eBay. I was surprised when it arrived -- the sound was totally different! Packaging was identical. Appearance was identical. But the sound was different. Highs were absent. It was all bass. So I looked closer. The cable was not as easy to put in -- the turning mechanism was not as smooth, and turned only about 70 degrees instead of full 90. Head size adjustment part has overall rough feel, as if cheaply made. There was a warranty card, but the paper used was not top quality and fine prints were very difficult to read, as if printed with a cheap inkjet printer.

After further research on the Internet, I discovered there were incredible number of fake Q460 and even more K450 around. See, for instance, the picture explanations and reviews by HHAH here. AKG K450 Premium Foldable Headphone

I could not return the unit since I bought from overseas. So I ended up buying a "real" one from a department store nearby. My advice: do not buy this excellent headset from eBay. Buy it only from authorized dealers, department stores, or Amazon Inc. Otherwise, you will end up giving it a two star!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2011
I love these headphones! Right out of the box, you'll notice the mids and bass are strong--the highs take a bit to burn-in. Once everything is conditioned though, they're unbeatable in their category.

I was looking for something between earbuds and cans. I already own a pair of Sony MDR-7506 Studio Monitor headphones, which in my opinion, are the benchmark for cans in the $100 price range, and a pair of Klipsch Image S4 earbuds, which are above average in the $80 range.

The Q460's are extremely comfortable, and are a bit smaller than a Logitech ClearChat Comfort USB headset. I plugged them into my mp3 player first, and they blew away the Klipsch buds for mids and bass--they actually improved the sound of my mp3s, and put out a huge, ear-engulfing sound--surprising power for their size. My Sony cans chew up/spit out mp3s, and expose all the limitations of a compressed music file. The Q460s work around those limitations nicely.

I then plugged them into my CD player, and they replicated all the dynamics/highs/mids/lows that my Sonys do--I wasn't missing anything. As for the cord, the remote does not work on my Samsung Captivate phone, or my older iPod. I'm guessing it will work with newer iPods/iPhones. both of the included cords (remote, and non-remote) are very short, which I actually like. My Klipsch buds have a cord that's too long, and the Sony cord is too heavy--both limit my movement. the Q460s are a nice length if you're active.

Overall, the size, sound, quality build, cool color, Quincy Jones endorsement, and reputable audio manufacturer (AKG) make these a solid purchase. Just for fun, listen to Quincy's "Sanford & Son" theme song on the Q460s--it sounds fantastic, as it should!
on May 22, 2013
This set of Headphones is much better than the smaller ear buds. It is well engineered and the unit folds compactly into a small carry case for travel or just convenience in a backpack or purse. I love the sound quality and other reviews mention the quality of the bass and they are correct. It does not have all of the noise cancelling feature of higher priced versions, but this is a lot of great sound reproduction for a reasonable cost. All of these headphones seem to have pluses and minuses that make one person happy and another not so much. Check out exactly what you are looking for before purchasing. If you want comfortable, high quality sound for travel or just relaxing at home, I believe you will enjoy the AKG Q460.
on August 8, 2012
I saw that they were 75% off and I HAD to buy them. I had been lookin for headphones and I read AKG was a good brand and I came across these. I read the reviews and I felt like they were going to be ok (and they were). The sound is amazing compared to the painful ear buds I had. They are very comfortable. :)

I will be posting a lot of photos to show people the product because I know I personally feel better about ordering a pricey product when I can see what I'm really getting
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on June 3, 2011
I'm a classical radio DJ and recording engineer, and I listen to everything from Mozart to Motorhead. I love the AKG Q701 cans a lot. Best I've ever had on my head (even though I also have Sennheiser 650, Etymotic 4S, etc.). Got two pair of Q701 for home and work. So I thought I'd get the entire line. I bought the AKG Q460 and Q350 IEM (all in that fantastic green) to match my Q701. How many people have one of each? Not many, I suppose. Neither do I. I just sent the Q460 and Q350 back for a refund.

I let them both burn in for over 36 hours before any critical listening. The Q460 doesn't sound bad, they just don't sound good. Perhaps there is an upper bass/lower midrange hump that pushes through. Annoying after awhile.

The Q350 has a sharp, sometimes shrill treble that sizzles on most recordings, and over time would become painful.

AKG markets these three as sharing the same legacy, and therefore, supposedly, a similar sonic signature. Not even close. I don't buy in to the Quincy Jones thing. He must be half deaf by now. If he thinks these all sound similar he is more than half deaf.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 29, 2011
I purchased these headphones around October and I haven't looked at music the same way since. I'm not an audio junkie but like most I like my music and my IPod. Before, I had a decent pair of Sony earbuds that were about $50, they had good sound, treble and bass, but the AKG's are in a whole different league. I went from listening to music when I was bored (after tests/ airport/bus rides etc.) to spending time just to listen to music because of how fantastic it sounds through the Q460's. Now for comparison, I've tried people's Beats and honestly, they're just a fashion statement. Overpowered bass and the overall sound is horrible. Not to mention how ridiculously overpriced they are.
But back to the AKG's... the sound is fantastic. Jazz, hip hop, rap, classical, rock, they all sound superb (note: changing your EQ will help the different types sound better) as for the lime green... I like it :) My only gripe is that I had a little trouble with the zipper, otherwise the case was awesome! It's portable, sturdy, and I had room for my Itouch. So overall these headphones are definitely worth the money! (Amazon was the cheapest I found) Also it took me a day or two to break them in (if you think it helps of course) till they sounded great. As for comfort wise, I was able to wear them for hours on end (very nice ear pads) and they're rather sturdy feeling too. Very nice quality build. One of the best headphones I've ever used and I love them to death.

So don't hesitate if you're looking for a excellent sounding pair of headphones!
on September 7, 2011
Well, to start, I give them 4 out of 5 stars because of two reasons. First one,the build quality. It is really good. I mean they are not gonna break easily. But when you have them in your hands you notice that they are really plastic made like the paint an the quincy jones part it look like is glued to the headphones themselves. But really that is just the looks. And the second reason is because of the sound. They have a really good sound. Not for audiophiles.(I dont know how to write that. sorry im spanish) But if you are a standard person. But you want a litlle more than the average. these are perfect. Because they sound really good the highs are increadibly clear and the mid-tons are perfect. I mean, you feel the music. You dont just listen to it. you also feel it. but the part that they lose the 5 star is in the bass. Because, it is really good, but it is not to loud.(that is completilly me, i like big amounts of bass) But it sounds good. But also they dont handle that good, extreme aounts of bass at they max volume. But if you are a standar guy/girl ho likes a flat frequency headphones that are better than standard headphones. These are for you. I totally recomend them. thanks
on June 20, 2011
The q460 is a decent sounding set of headphones that is extremely portable. This tiny headset comes with a hard case and folds up really small. This makes it great for people on the go who don't want to be seen in public wearing a giant headset. The mic on the q460 is excellent. AKG is known for their microphone line as well and they have apparently used some of that expertise to implement the mic on the inline controls. The inline controls work well on an iPhone.

The sound quality of this set is good. The mids are the best part and come out quite clear. The highs are a little dull and lack sizzle. The lows are present but not thumping. Realistically I didnt expect such a small set to be able to cover all the bases. Despite the high and low ends not being ideal, I still think they're good enough and again, the midrange is quite clear and good. On top of this at 100$ the only other decent options for a portable set might be the phiaton m300.

Might want to be careful taking the remote portion out of the packaging. I ripped a piece of plastic off a button. The control still works but it was disappointing.
on August 3, 2011
Hi everyone this is my FIRST EVER REVIEW. Normally I do not write reviews but I had to after using these headphones. I have scouted the internet for the past week looking for a quality pair of headphones since I prefer them over earbuds. I have owned a few pairs of cheaper earbuds such as Sony and Skullcandy. While they are more portable they do not provide the quality and comfort of headphones. Since I listen to mainly rock, pop, and hip hop I needed a versatile pair of headphones. A few days ago I came across an article on these in a magazine. After reading the article about how these provide more bang for the buck then a few other pairs of headphones such as beats by Dre Solo HD and the Soul headphones by Ludacris I was definitely interested. I checked out a couple reviews and was definitely enticed. Next thing you know it came in the mail and I was pleasantly surprised with what came with it. The earcups are incredibly soft and it you almost can't tell they are on. It comes with 2 detachable cables (one with the iPod controls and one without the controls) and a hard carrying case. It also comes with a 2.5mm adapter for older phones and a 6.3mm adapter for home theatre systems (which I admittedly never use). One thing to note is that no matter if you get the black, white, or green pair is that they come with the neon green cables either way. I am VERY PLEASED with these AKGs as the bass is strong but not to the point where it distorts the music and the mids and highs do sound quite crisp. After debating between these and the more expensive beats by Dre Solo HD I am quite pleased with both the quality and the build of these great headphones. I would strongly recommend these headphones to anyone who likes quality headphones that are quite versatile, anyone who listens to many genres of music, or audiophiles who want the most out of their music. Thank you for reading everyone.
on August 18, 2013
I have yet to be disappointed with this brand. I've owned AKG line earbuds for years now, and finally decided to upgrade to these bad boys. Holy moly, these are absolutely incredible. All the strong bass notes i'd come to expect from AKG, except with greatly clarity and more "big" sound one would expect from high quality speaker systems. The case is rock solid, so no need to worry about having these get crushed (I slip my ipod nano in there too).

One of the down sides is the pressure one may experience on the ears after some use. It's slightly uncomfortable after awhile, but hopefully something I may get used to.

As for noise canceling, they are so so. In the office, you won't hear much at all, but on a loud bus, you will hear the engine and other street sounds, so not the most functional in that case. (I recommend the Q350 buds for that)

Overally, these are extremely worth the cost for the sound they offer.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations