5.0 out of 5 stars Two versions of same toy -- one with 3 dogs, one with 4
Published on November 20, 2009 by R. Swiglo

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic until I had to throw away...
Published on February 19, 2012 by Linda Rosario

5.0 out of 5 stars Two versions of same toy -- one with 3 dogs, one with 4, November 20, 2009
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
A few years ago I got the Alex Dirty Dogs toy for my daughter. Her set came with 4 dogs and a washcloth. I see by the previous review here that there appears to be two versions of this toy -- one with 3 dogs and one with 4. Despite the fact the 3-dog version does claim to have 4 dogs in the product description, you can see by the photos there appear to be two different packages (before you click to get the details). The other 4-dog set shows it is currently unavailable, but has better reviews than the sole one here. I must say I was disappointed to see the sort of poor review for the 3-dog set as this makes me wonder if the quality has gone down. The ones my daughter had worked fine to begin with, but now at a few years old, actually all the dirty spots are practically gone (Guess she really did clean those dogs!). She has played a lot with them, in and out of the bath. Sometimes she likes to play with them in the sink. For the price, they were well worth it as she has gotten a lot of use out of them over the past 2 years and even now still plays with them even though the dirty spots don't behave as they used to. At this point I am considering getting the dirty piggies for her, I just hope that the quality on those will be as good as the dogs were 2 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars They squirt water, December 12, 2010
D. Taylor (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
These are cute rubbery, plastic dogs. The "dirt" spots disappear when wet. They shoot tickling streams of water out of their mouths when you squeeze them. Most of the toys in the bath are ill-equipped for aquatic life having been drafted from the doll house and other terrestrial sources. These dogs, in contrast, have a distinct advantage and thrive in the aquatic environment.

They aren't as fiercely loyal as one would expect from canines in constant need of baths. They will switch sides in a water fight in a heart beat, so watch your back.

Only the Fox Terrier gets invited on the bathtub boat to play with Stretchy Bunny and Zoe. The other two dogs can be unruly and don't like tea, so they have to sit in the toy basket with the Alphabet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic until I had to throw away..., February 19, 2012
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
My 9 month old LOVED these doggies when he got them. Perfect for little hands, fun for squirting and tasty too.... and that's when I threw them away. I noticed that there was discoloration along the bottoms of the dogs where they stood/sat and discovered that it was mold. The water sits in the bottom of the inside (no matter how hard you try to get all the water out...) and eventually turns black/brown moldy. I had to sneak them into the trash while he wasn't looking - very disappointed given how well received they were.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but not the best quality, October 13, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
This is cute. My baby loves to play with them in the bath. Problem is, the dogs don't look much different when you try to clean them. The dots actually rub off after a while. It seems that the paint isn't of the best quality. Don't know if it is toxic or not, but it is kind of concerning to me since my baby puts everything in his mouth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Brown gunk inside - mold?, September 24, 2012
Karen (Bedford, TX United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
My boys loved these when they were 6-12 months old. They especially loved squeezing the water out (into their mouths). I was disgusted to find that there was brown mold or something building up inside and I couldn't clean it out. Had to throw them away.

3.0 out of 5 stars my son likes these, but me, not so much, October 17, 2011
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
the water is hard to get out of the head of the dogs, one of them came with a rip in the leg, and they aren't as fun as they look. My son (22 months) however likes to play with them in the bath, so nothing lost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and fun but eventually mildewy inside, October 1, 2011
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
My 1 1/2 year old daughter loves these dogs. At first she was interested in washing the spots off, but over time the spot washing doesn't work as well, and she lost interest in that aspect quickly. Now she just likes to play with them in the bath having them do various scenarios from her own imagination. The main problem I have with this toy is that it's hard to get all the water out and after about 4 months there was disgusting black gunk--mildew, I suppose--on the inside of the dogs. One of the lighter-colored dogs is made of thinner plastic and you can see that he/she is now black inside. If you squeeze the dogs now then black flakes come out of their mouths. So I'm not thrilled about having her bathe with these dogs when they are probably emitting some kind of mold and mildew into the tub. Nevertheless, she loves playing with them so much, I'm considering buying her a replacement set, but compared to other packages of Alex bath toys that usually have about six pieces, the price for these three dogs is pretty high, considering the spot-washing feature doesn't even work all that well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh., September 15, 2014
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
I was disappointed in the Dirty Dog bath toys. The packaging and sell copy is misleading. It states that if you place the dogs in warm water the dirt on them "disappears." This copy is accompanied on the packaging by a photo of a dog (the white one, no less) coming completely clean. My three-year-old was incredibly disappointed when the dogs failed to become clean in the tub. The dirty spots barely faded. When I tested them in the shower with truly hot water, there was no improvement. Anyone who has spent time with a three year old understands how obsessive compulsive they can be. Honestly, she was nearly distraught when she couldn't get the "dirt" off of them. She's too young for Prozac, so unless ALEX reformulates their heat sensitive paint, or adjusts the packaging and sell copy to better reflect what the product does (or doesn't) do, I wouldn't waste the money.

My daughter likes the squirty dogs, even dirty, so we won't be returning them. However, I would not pay $15 for three bath squirters that don't do any magic tricks.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as advertised, October 27, 2009
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
First, there are only 3 dogs in the package, not 4. Second, the dirt does not actually disappear on the dogs. The gray dog works best and does change color. The yellow dog fades somewhat but the white dog doesn't. The dirt spots are just as brown in the water. This is a great idea for a toddler but it's not well made. My daughter does love the mini washcloth though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Apparently these are "Spotted" dogs, not "Dirty" dogs., January 2, 2015
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN (Toy)
I wish I could give this product 0 stars. My son was in desperate need of bath toys and his father and I thought these would be so cool. His first bath after getting these, I made a big deal about the "dirt" on the dogs and how we were going to clean them up. After rubbing them with the little green washcloth for a few minutes, the spots didn't even fade. I thought, "Hmm, maybe the bath water isn't warm enough" so while my son was begging me to give him the dog, I tried to keep up the excitement by explaining that "the doggies were really dirty and needed hotter water" and used the sink. I gave up after the 4th time, using hotter and hotter water each time when still, nothing happened.

At least it squirts water, l guess.

ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Dirty Dogs, 825DN