5.0 out of 5 stars Great in the bath for toddlers!!!
Published on November 27, 2006 by Sara Crecca

2.0 out of 5 stars Old tub? Beware.
So... I was just about to put my house on the market when I decided to top up my virtual cart with this bad boy for Super Saver Shipping.

Published on March 18, 2012 by JLH1977

5.0 out of 5 stars Great in the bath for toddlers!!!, November 27, 2006
Sara Crecca (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)
This tub crayon, which is actually several colors on one hand-held plastic star (the crayons are on the tips of the star) is easy to grip, and the crayons don't dissolve or get lost in the tub the way other tub crayons do. Has outlasted two full sets of individual tub crayons and is still going. My 2 1/2 year old loves it. Crayon markes on tub wipe right off with a washcloth. Lots of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Crayon, October 11, 2009
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)
This is the best tub crayon we've found! My daughter has gone through 3 of them over the past year she uses them so much. They've lasted so much longer than regular tub crayons which got lost and broke with use. These also wash off the walls 10x easier than other tub crayons we've used!

2.0 out of 5 stars Old tub? Beware., March 18, 2012
JLH1977 (Saint Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)

My three-year-old son went nuts with it -- wore his favorite colors down to nubs at the first bath. But the really fun part came after. While it wiped right off of the newer tile above the bath, it took 20 minutes of me and Soft Scrub to remove most traces of the revelry from the older tub itself.

If you're dealing with an older fixture or porcelain that has some wear, I don't think you'll want to make this a part of the bathtime routine -- unless you also want to make your curse-ridden, hunched-over clean-up a part of the bathtime routine as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tub Crayon, July 3, 2012
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)
This is much smaller than it appears, and lasted about 3-4 baths.

The reason it is terrible is that the box states that you should not get it into mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth)and yet it is a kid toy. It is for ages 2 and up, and my daughter is 21 mo. and she tried to eat it. Sure, she won't be 2 for 3 months, however I wouldn't have bought this if I'd known it is (apparently)toxic.

We threw ours out.

It did do it's job, however, it marked clearly, and was easily cleaned off (except for the purple and red, which took some scrubbing). My daughter had fun with it, and a tub crayon seems like it would be a good toy. If you have some sort of precious/expensive bathroom materials, I wouldn't use it.

My DUH moment came when I did an internet search for "bath crayon", and found a bazillion recipes to make this myself, using nontoxic, cheap ingredients. If you want to do this, search "DIY bath crayon".

The size is misleading because:
1- the picture of course is made to look larger than the product.
2- Some of the crayon material itself is inside the yellow plastic, so it is calculated as part of the product, but is unusable. They have to do this to anchor the crayon into the holder, but it's misleading.

Each color probably has about 1/2 crayon worth of product, if that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, but my daughter loves it., November 16, 2011
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)
I still think that 5+ dollars is too much for this crayon, but, my daughter who will turn two in January, really likes it. It is easy for her to hold onto, it floats so she can easily find it and it writes under water too, which she really loves. My main complaint with this is that it does not easily wash off a tub surround. In the actual tub, it comes right off with a wet hand, but even after wiping it off the walls of the tub surround right after a bath time art session, it still doesn't completely come off, there are still light shadows of what once was on there. I use foaming bath cleaner to get it off completely. Not a big deal, but it's an extra step that I wouldn't mind doing without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bath toy, June 29, 2007
Shawn (The Woodlands, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)
This is a great product. I got it when my Daughter was 3 and she loves it! Has used it so much there is nothing left. Just ordered another one. It held up great and I did not have a problem with it falling apart until it was almost all used up then it flaked a bit. If your child is yonger and likes putting things in his/her mouth then I can see how it might not be good, but for PreK kids it's great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Permanently stained shower walls, August 20, 2012
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)
I admit that I should have tested the crayons on a small section of the shower wall first but because the product is advertised with the description "easily ... wipe off of bathtubs, tile, and other non-porous surfaces", I didn't think there was any reason to worry. I have scrubbed and scrubbed and the stains have faded but they are still visible. The red color is the worst but the purple, blue and green also left permanent stains.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bath crayon, works on wet surfaces!, January 1, 2011
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)
Another reviewer posted that this doesn't work if the side of the bath is wet. Ours works perfectly! Not only that, he colors on the floor of the bath (under water) and the colors are vibrant and clear. I wasn't expecting much from this thing, so I was really surprised at how bright the colors were when my 22-month old son tested it out.

He drew on everything in the bath--walls, spout, toys, etc. and with one wipe I was able to clean it all up in less than a minute. Not bad considering his coverage area.

We've only had it a few weeks, so I can't tell yet how long it will last, but I am very pleasantly surprised by this little star crayon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Idea but VERY SMALL and PRICEY, October 5, 2012
CincyGirl (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)
I submitted a pic of the product so that you would get an idea of the size of this item. I guess I'm cheap, er, thrifty, about things, but I honestly thought it might be a bit bigger. To be fair, it only just arrived and we haven't tried it out yet. According to reviewers, it's great, so I gave it 4 stars (I trust Amazon's customer reviews) but would have given it more had I not been put-off by the size of the thing and the small amount of actual crayon you get for that money. As long as you know that it's very small, and you're ok with that, I say get it. It is very cool and looks ergonomically superior to breakable stick-crayons, which, as one reviewer pointed out, tend to be all over the bottom of the tub.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bath crayon, November 2, 2012
This review is from: ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S (Toy)
I bought the individual bath crayons before and they were terrible. They fell out of the holder and bled everywhere. Plus once they got wet, I found they didn't work well until they dried. I got this all-in-one crayon and it has worked perfectly. It colors well, washes off easily and there is only one pick up after. That in of its self was worth it to me. Beats having to pick up each non-working soggy crayons from the tub. Only thing I forsee is that after a few baths, I think we'll need to buy another one. Not sure it will last a long time, then again, my daughter colors a lot.

ALEX Toys - Bathtime Fun, Star Crayon, 639S